Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Recovery time after severe crash.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Recovery time after severe crash.

Old 11-21-19, 09:39 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by 1AvidCyclistCat
Dear fellow avid +50 cycling crowd. On 11/10/19 I tried to avoid a collision with a pair of rapidly approaching barking dogs in the same shoulder, opposite direction, about 100 feet away. . I was riding in the sweet zone: speed 45 km/hr tail cross wind 5-7 mph. I chose to out run them by accelerating on my Colnago C60 to 50-51 km/hr. As I looked up, a fraction of a second later there they were, blocking my sprinting line! I chose to run over them at worst case scenario. I passed out after that, waking up on an ambulance stretcher in the ambulance with an oxygen mask and the medic placing a neck immobilizer. I was then transported to a Level 1 Trauma ER and after x rays and CT’s, a pneumothorax with a developing hemothorax was treated with a Wayne 14 Fr chest tube, helping to relief the 20-30% right middle lobe pneumothorax. I was hurting all over: right ribs #1-9 fractured, #8 displaced. Comminuted right scapula fracture, Labrum fracture.
I’m wearing a shoulder immobilizer now, ready for discharge ASAP and God willing.
Anyone else has anything to share, wether from personal experience or word of mouth? The pulmonologist and trauma surgeon have forbidden cycling in any manner indefinitely, due to my age, soon to be 60, and severity of trauma, including loosing consciousness for about 15-20 minutes, or so, as I was told.
Certainly glad you aren't any worse! PLEASE be careful with that head injury. It will take longer to recover from that, which you can't feel or see, than the obvious physical exterior wounds.

Late August of 2011, 9 months after total left knee replacement. I was back on the bike. Loving it. I was happy, at 48, to have my life back post knee replacement. On a ride with a friend. Downhill, twisty canyon road. 40-45 MPH. I crashed. Not sure if I had a flat, or hit a rock or what. But didn't make a corner. My friend was behind me, saw I had a possible neck injury. I was out cold over 5 minutes. He literally sat on my chest to keep me down when I woke up. Now, I have no memory of this... Still. Or the next few days. I earned a helicopter ride though. I had the following, cracked C1, 2 and 3 vertebra, burst fracture T9, but damage to the T7, 8 and 10. 4 broken ribs. Significant road rash on my right shoulder, and broke a pinky finger (I can't remember which one, but probably my right...). Fusion surgery the following day, T7-12. Two rods and ten screws, none in the T9. One week in the hospital, 2 weeks in physical rehab. 6 weeks in a full TLSO "turtle shell" brace with neck/head support by day, and slept in a hard cervical collar. The collar was worn full time for 3 additional months after the TLSO brace was no long needed.

It took me 2 years to even get on a bicycle. And even that was in the safety of inside a bike store. It took another year to ride outdoors. And that, was due to a gift from someone I got involved in cycling when he was 14.

I repaired the bike I crashed on, new front wheel and handle bars. New bar wrap. I did ride it a little. In the end, I cannot get comfortable on THAT bike. And if it is cursed, I can't let someone else have it. It's fate is as an indoor trainer bike. It owes me, Or, maybe I owe it something. I refurbished my older steel bike, the "Old Friend" is mostly up to date, and due to losing over 130 pounds the past 2 years, I rewarded myself with a build of a lightweight bike. I still ride the bike that was a gift, a 29er hard tail MTB. And thinking a fat bike may be next.

But to this day, on many downhill rides, I'm on the brakes. It doesn't seem to matter how fast I go in the flats. Downhill, I just can't let it roll out.
Old 11-21-19, 02:19 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Elite resilience post multi trauma.

Originally Posted by zjrog
Certainly glad you aren't any worse! PLEASE be careful with that head injury. It will take longer to recover from that, which you can't feel or see, than the obvious physical exterior wounds.

Late August of 2011, 9 months after total left knee replacement. I was back on the bike. Loving it. I was happy, at 48, to have my life back post knee replacement. On a ride with a friend. Downhill, twisty canyon road. 40-45 MPH. I crashed. Not sure if I had a flat, or hit a rock or what. But didn't make a corner. My friend was behind me, saw I had a possible neck injury. I was out cold over 5 minutes. He literally sat on my chest to keep me down when I woke up. Now, I have no memory of this... Still. Or the next few days. I earned a helicopter ride though. I had the following, cracked C1, 2 and 3 vertebra, burst fracture T9, but damage to the T7, 8 and 10. 4 broken ribs. Significant road rash on my right shoulder, and broke a pinky finger (I can't remember which one, but probably my right...). Fusion surgery the following day, T7-12. Two rods and ten screws, none in the T9. One week in the hospital, 2 weeks in physical rehab. 6 weeks in a full TLSO "turtle shell" brace with neck/head support by day, and slept in a hard cervical collar. The collar was worn full time for 3 additional months after the TLSO brace was no long needed.

It took me 2 years to even get on a bicycle. And even that was in the safety of inside a bike store. It took another year to ride outdoors. And that, was due to a gift from someone I got involved in cycling when he was 14.

I repaired the bike I crashed on, new front wheel and handle bars. New bar wrap. I did ride it a little. In the end, I cannot get comfortable on THAT bike. And if it is cursed, I can't let someone else have it. It's fate is as an indoor trainer bike. It owes me, Or, maybe I owe it something. I refurbished my older steel bike, the "Old Friend" is mostly up to date, and due to losing over 130 pounds the past 2 years, I rewarded myself with a build of a lightweight bike. I still ride the bike that was a gift, a 29er hard tail MTB. And thinking a fat bike may be next.

But to this day, on many downhill rides, I'm on the brakes. It doesn't seem to matter how fast I go in the flats. Downhill, I just can't let it roll out.

Wow zjrog brother you have boosted my hope for recovery and return to cycling sports by leaps and bounds: exceedingly inspiring accident story from beginning to end. I appreciate your nurturing encouragement as a fellow avid cyclist and for taking the time to share your experiences with me.
Old 11-21-19, 03:20 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Wow zjrog brother you have boosted my hope for recovery and return to cycling sports by leaps and bounds: exceedingly inspiring accident story from beginning to end. I appreciate your nurturing encouragement as a fellow avid cyclist and for taking the time to share your experiences with me.
I'm glad you got so much from that. I've had so many other issues to keep me off a bike in between things, I've become fond of saying I don't know if I'm too stubborn or stupid to know when to stay down. Three years ago I had my right achilles tendon repaired. Then weight became an issue. And now I'm staring down the possibility of my left ankle being fused and replacing my right knee. This past summer has been my best time on a bike in years, I'm not ready to give it up. At worst, I'll be on a tadpole recumbent trike..
Old 11-21-19, 08:44 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Performer Trike fast.

I'm glad you got so much from that. I've had so many other issues to keep me off a bike in between things, I've become fond of saying I don't know if I'm too stubborn or stupid to know when to stay down. Three years ago I had my right achilles tendon repaired. Then weight became an issue. And now I'm staring down the possibility of my left ankle being fused and replacing my right knee. This past summer has been my best time on a bike in years, I'm not ready to give it up. At worst, I'll be on a tadpole recumbent trike..
Yaiks! You are the Maximus Spartacus of middle Agee’s cyclists. Embrace our injuries as memory treasures of wonderful cycling adventures honor! Hey brother, I have the sport Trike Performer, purchased from Florida nice dealer, it feels like a cross between fast sports SUV and a go cart, he he.You are welcome to borrow it...
Old 11-22-19, 04:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Recovery time after severe crash
Now, I have no memory of this... Still. Or the next few days. I earned a helicopter ride though. I had the following, cracked C1, 2 and 3 vertebra, burst fracture T9, but damage to the T7, 8 and 10. 4 broken ribs. …

It took me 2 years to even get on a bicycle. And even that was in the safety of inside a bike store. It took another year to ride outdoors
Wow zjrog brother you have boosted my hope for recovery and return to cycling sports by leaps and bounds: exceedingly inspiring accident story from beginning to end.

I appreciate your nurturing encouragement as a fellow avid cyclist and for taking the time to share your experiences with me.
I'm glad you got so much from that. I've had so many other issues to keep me off a bike in between things, I've become fond of saying I don't know if I'm too stubborn or stupid to know when to stay down.

This past summer has been my best time on a bike in years, I'm not ready to give it up. At worst, I'll be on a tadpole recumbent trike..
Yaiks! You are the Maximus Spartacus of middle Agee’s cyclists. Embrace our injuries as memory treasures of wonderful cycling adventures honor!...
Not to interrupt this Mutual Admiration Society, but as I was reading this thread it occurred to me that all these accounts are of successful recovery and we’ll not hear of those who have left cycling (or this earth) after their incidents.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...That’s quite a detailed description of the crash, and medical follow-up. I’m replying not to one-up your experience, but since you asked.

I too lost conciousness briefly,
Originally Posted by Thomas15
As others have said I'm not retelling my story to one-up anyone.
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Wow, so many of you have been through hell.
I get the sense that like military veterans we too are reliving unforgettable traumas, and are proud of our sucesses.
I’m replying further, not with medical advice per se, but from a sucessful recovery based on sound medical advice…

I write not to dwell on my experience, but hopefully to advise and encourage you or others, and frankly for the satisfaction of reviewing that life-changing event and recovery for myself.
I describe my riding experience as a cycling lifestyle (of 40 years).

I once listed as my credentials: a carbon fiber bike, year-round cycle-commuting, a cross-country tour, and a serious car-bike accident.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-22-19 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-22-19, 12:08 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Mutual Admiration Society

Recovery time after severe crash Not to interrupt this Mutual Admiration Society, but as I was reading this thread it occurred to me that all these accounts are of successful recovery and we’ll not hear of those who have left cycling (or this earth) after their incidents. I get the sense that like military veterans we too are reliving unforgettable traumas, and are proud of our sucesses.
That is quite a humorous name for a mutually effected and affected dedicated, consistently engaged in the noble sports activity of cycling: bicycling. My goal as a severely injured soon to be a geriatric cyclist, is to help encourage and get motivated to bring the best after serious, major trauma.
I believe that the current over 50 population will continue to redefine expectations of aging: specifically aging well with honor, respect and motivation to encouraging our less than fit, not so healthy fellow elderly neighbors and friends.
Closed head injuries may have unpredictable short and long term unfavorable consequences. I experienced immediate mood lability with sudden episodes of sadness, crying with tearful moans. Severe trauma affects your whole being.
I embrace humor as an excellent therapeutic tool to help one cope better with adversity. I reject cynicism imbedded in deceptive humor: it’s quite unpleasant and disgusting, it is not beneficial or productive to either mocker or the one being mocked.
I have learned that by giving in genuine humility anyone willing can and will help magnify the rewarding, wonderful good deeds of loving others as oneself.
Old 11-22-19, 12:14 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Multi trauma motorcyclist.

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I had a serious motorcycle accident about 6 years ago. Broke my clavicle in two places, broke my scapula, and 3 ribs. I was off work for over 3 months but part of that was that I had to wait for skin injuries to heal before they could do surgery on my clavicle, and then that was postponed for several more weeks due to the surgeon having an emergency call. After surgery it was a while before they started me on physical therapy and by that time, I could barely move my arm because it had atrophied so badly. It was a few weeks of PT before I could drive.

I'm sure it would have been a lot faster without the delays but still a long time. All I could say for advice is do all the PT they tell you to do and more. That will minimize the recovery time. Good luck with the healing.
Ogsarg, some friends ask me time after time if I was indeed riding a MOTOR-cycle, since it takes high levels of trauma force to fracture a scapula. Did you suffer any permanent deficits or did you loose consciousness?
Old 11-22-19, 12:16 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Originally Posted by alloo
I'm sorry about your accident. I hope that you heal quickly. I would say just focus on your recovery in PT, then bicycle when you're allowed to.

Alloo, most certainly will. It is very hard to look at my bicycles laying around like steeds feeling bored and neglected.
Old 11-22-19, 01:20 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Recovery time after severe crash”

Not to interrupt this Mutual Admiration Society, but as I was reading this thread it occurred to me that all these accounts are of successful recovery …
That is quite a humorous name for a mutually effected and affected dedicated, consistently engaged in the noble sports activity of cycling: bicycling. My goal as a severely injured soon to be a geriatric cyclist, is to help encourage and get motivated to bring the best after serious, major trauma.

I believe that the current over 50 population will continue to redefine expectations of aging: specifically aging well with honor, respect and motivation to encouraging our less than fit, not so healthy fellow elderly neighbors and friends….

I embrace humor as an excellent therapeutic tool to help one cope better with adversity. I reject cynicism imbedded in deceptive humor: it’s quite unpleasant and disgusting, it is not beneficial or productive to either mocker or the one being mocked.

I have learned that by giving in genuine humility anyone willing can and will help magnify the rewarding, wonderful good deeds of loving others as oneself.
Well, @1AvidCyclistCat, as a presumably over 50 cyclist, I hope that you recognized my allusion to a "Mutual Admiration Society," between you and @zjrog to be a reference to a song of that name.
Originally Posted by Wikipdedia
"Mutual Admiration Society" is a popular song published in 1956 from the Broadway musical Happy Hunting. The song's tune was written by Harold Karr, the lyrics by Matt Dubey

We belong to a Mutual Admiration Society

My baby and me

We belong to a Mutual Admiration Society…
Old 11-22-19, 02:53 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
Ogsarg, some friends ask me time after time if I was indeed riding a MOTOR-cycle, since it takes high levels of trauma force to fracture a scapula. Did you suffer any permanent deficits or did you loose consciousness?
The surgeon that worked on me said the same thing about the Scapula. Told me mine was the worst she had seen. I did lose consciousness but only for a short time and initially did not realize that I had. When I first stood up I couldn't see which was a little scary. It was like looking at the sun, just saw brilliant white. It was several minutes before my eyesight came back.

As far as long term consequences go, I have no functional impairment in terms of range of motion or strength or anything like that, but things did not all heal in the correct place so my upper torso is not symmetrical from one side to the other. Not noticeable with a shirt on fortunately. I also have a metal strap across my clavicle and a boat load of screws to hold it in place. Oddly enough, all that metal has yet to set off a metal detector at an airport and I've been through dozens of them.
Old 11-22-19, 08:38 PM
zjrog

Yaiks! You are the Maximus Spartacus of middle Agee’s cyclists. Embrace our injuries as memory treasures of wonderful cycling adventures honor! Hey brother, I have the sport Trike Performer, purchased from Florida nice dealer, it feels like a cross between fast sports SUV and a go cart, he he.You are welcome to borrow it...
Not so much gladiator, as pugilistic dummy... My injuries are part of my story and I hear I'm inspirational far more often than I'm truly comfortable with. Now the offer to use a noble steed of speed, is quite generous. But I doubt we are close enough to make good on that... Bummer. I am collecting bike parts and frames, to build one of the Atomic Zombie trikes.

Recovery time after severe crash Not to interrupt this Mutual Admiration Society, but as I was reading this thread it occurred to me that all these accounts are of successful recovery and we’ll not hear of those who have left cycling (or this earth) after their incidents. I get the sense that like military veterans we too are reliving unforgettable traumas, and are proud of our sucesses.
As a veteran, never in combat though, I'm just used to living with my pains and aches. Some just make me feel old before my time, then, there are the ones I've done to myself...

Alloo, most certainly will. It is very hard to look at my bicycles laying around like steeds feeling bored and neglected.
I agree, knowing they are resting, maybe upset at at me, mocking me at times... Just bothers me. Except fr the one I crashed on. That one has been enslaved to life of bondage on the indoor trainer...
Old 11-23-19, 11:29 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
July 2012... cycling with family, eastbound out of NoName, Colorado, just East of Glenwood, along the Colorado River on bike path. Sunday morning, beautiful. For once, bringing up the rear. Did a 90* under the overpasses, slowed down to a crawl, then the other 90*, came upon a section of concrete, unmarked, that sank, hit what felt like a curb, did not have the momentum to cross, stalled, came out of my cleats, backwards, crashed down on my sacrum. Immediate pain, laid there for minutes, in shock, checked, could move feet, family came back, needed twenty minutes, to basically get helped up, actually ride my back back down river, slumped over, waited all day for Sunday's traffic back to Denver to dissipate. Loaded me into 4Runner, strapped me in, drove back to Denver. Pain that night, tough to take, lucky for me had previous script Percoset, some relief. Called Doc, got in for exam, xrays and follow up MRI... fractured T12 and L2. Could barely lay down, walk... pain intense, constant. After one week, began to walk, could go 100 feet first day. Every day, little more...

Six months later, I was back walking and riding and hiking well... But the pain, still is with me 7.5 years later. I spin, ride and hike and when the pain returns, have to take on occasion, prescription anti inflammatory, sometimes prescribed low dose straight oxy, I stretch, on foam roller, soak, etc.

Bottom line... at least grateful and thankful no paralysis. With age, now 67, even in fine condition, nerve channels are narrowing, arthritis in lower back... the pain subsides on occasion, but WILL NEVER GO AWAY.

So... recovery... yes. Side effects from accident... unfortunately remain.
Likes For Climb14er:
Old 11-24-19, 08:14 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Thanks

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I had a similar accident several years ago, with cracked ribs, pneumothorax and chest tube, etc. I was doing short rides on my upright 3-speed after a couple weeks. Didn't get on the road bike for at least a month, and didn't feel fully recovered for more than a month after that. I didn't have any loss of consciousness or shoulder injury (that time, at least ), though. At least it happened at the end of the season!
That was a speedy recovery! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-24-19, 08:17 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Originally Posted by Climb14er
July 2012... cycling with family, eastbound out of NoName, Colorado, just East of Glenwood, along the Colorado River on bike path. Sunday morning, beautiful. For once, bringing up the rear. Did a 90* under the overpasses, slowed down to a crawl, then the other 90*, came upon a section of concrete, unmarked, that sank, hit what felt like a curb, did not have the momentum to cross, stalled, came out of my cleats, backwards, crashed down on my sacrum. Immediate pain, laid there for minutes, in shock, checked, could move feet, family came back, needed twenty minutes, to basically get helped up, actually ride my back back down river, slumped over, waited all day for Sunday's traffic back to Denver to dissipate. Loaded me into 4Runner, strapped me in, drove back to Denver. Pain that night, tough to take, lucky for me had previous script Percoset, some relief. Called Doc, got in for exam, xrays and follow up MRI... fractured T12 and L2. Could barely lay down, walk... pain intense, constant. After one week, began to walk, could go 100 feet first day. Every day, little more...

Six months later, I was back walking and riding and hiking well... But the pain, still is with me 7.5 years later. I spin, ride and hike and when the pain returns, have to take on occasion, prescription anti inflammatory, sometimes prescribed low dose straight oxy, I stretch, on foam roller, soak, etc.

Bottom line... at least grateful and thankful no paralysis. With age, now 67, even in fine condition, nerve channels are narrowing, arthritis in lower back... the pain subsides on occasion, but WILL NEVER GO AWAY.

Wow, brother, that was quite an inspiring and resilient slow recovery. I had previous injuries, live with arthritis of hands and low back. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-24-19, 08:19 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Well, @1AvidCyclistCat, as a presumably over 50 cyclist, I hope that you recognized my allusion to a "Mutual Admiration Society," between you and @zjrog to be a reference to a song of that name.
Almost 60, b day 01/11/1960. Being riding bikes since age 6. No prob mate: got it.
Old 11-25-19, 12:28 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Semper Fidelis

I find myself in the same predicament: invested so much in my bicycles and not ready to give it up yet. I am very thankful to my Lord God Jeshua for blessing me so abundantly. Cycling sports have helped me recover much faster and to sustain less potentially crippling or disabling conditions post trauma short term or long term. [img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/432d1fa0-5148-45ac-9e81-edcb585bc876[/img]
Old 11-25-19, 12:30 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Tough punishment.

Not so much gladiator, as pugilistic dummy... My injuries are part of my story and I hear I'm inspirational far more often than I'm truly comfortable with. Now the offer to use a noble steed of speed, is quite generous. But I doubt we are close enough to make good on that... Bummer. I am collecting bike parts and frames, to build one of the Atomic Zombie trikes.

As a veteran, never in combat though, I'm just used to living with my pains and aches. Some just make me feel old before my time, then, there are the ones I've done to myself...

I agree, knowing they are resting, maybe upset at at me, mocking me at times... Just bothers me. Except fr the one I crashed on. That one has been enslaved to life of bondage on the indoor trainer...
LMAO at your verdict for that bicycle [img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/af5b1d79-f059-448b-b5fc-e976e300fcca[/img]
Old 11-25-19, 12:36 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Courage resilience redefined.

Originally Posted by Climb14er

Dear fellow avid cyclist: thank you most kindly for taking the time to share and encourage me after my bicycle crash. As my trauma doctor was getting ready for local anesthesia to my broken x9 right ribs, my heart rate dropped to 28 and systolic BP dropped to 60! This lasted a few seconds, apparently side effects to the general anesthesia and pseudo tamponase due to having 500 ml or half liter ((2 pints of blood) pushing over my heart. The right chest tubes drained over 500 ml of blood but I did not need any blood transfusions, thanks be to my Almighty God.
Old 11-25-19, 04:02 PM
zjrog

LMAO at your verdict for that bicycle [img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/af5b1d79-f059-448b-b5fc-e976e300fcca[/img]
HAHAAAA! As the arbiter of my belongings, I found it fitting...
Likes For zjrog:
Old 12-12-19, 05:40 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
OPin good company with crashes.

In brief my last accident was broken femur At age 72. Rode 13,0000 lie since.. Lessons learned were many. Like the advice to find a doc who rides.

Anyways 1) Do PT and keep it up as long as suggested if not more; 2) When ready start on a trainer or spinning at the gym to build. Up strength and heart lung. Safer than on the road; 3) Only if ready ride easy on road. Your body will tell yu when you are ready; Ride with a friend to start.

All this assume you want to ride again and your are convinced it will be safe. RemInds me what my doc said when broke collar. Bone about safety riding. He said it’s safe to ride, just not safe to fall.

You already knw we re all different so no one proves works for all. Best of luck and take your time.
Likes For Miami Biker:
Old 12-12-19, 06:03 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Miami Biker

In brief my last accident was broken femur At age 72. Rode 13,0000 lie since.. Lessons learned were many. Like the advice to find a doc who rides.

Anyways 1) Do PT and keep it up as long as suggested if not more; 2) When ready start on a trainer or spinning at the gym to build. Up strength and heart lung. Safer than on the road; 3) Only if ready ride easy on road. Your body will tell yu when you are ready; Ride with a friend to start.

All this assume you want to ride again and your are convinced it will be safe. RemInds me what my doc said when broke collar. Bone about safety riding. He said it’s safe to ride, just not safe to fall.

You already knw we re all different so no one proves works for all. Best of luck and take your time.
Thank you for that quote about falling--that was just fantastic!
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-13-19, 04:02 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
had a few accidents in my time that sidelined me for up to two weeks. i'm admittedly not the best patient, rarely sick and not real good at laying around. various concussions, hip injury, rib(s) injuries, shoulder
injuries and back injuries have conspired over the years to make me say "no riding." my biggest thing has always been to get up and at least walk (with a cane at one stretch) two blocks at my worst.
hurt like hell and took 20 minutes but the relief at getting out of bed and trying to avoid atrophy made up for it. slow, flat spinning is better than no spinning at all. i've found laying around is my worst enemy
and i've always felt that doing at least some physical activity, however insignificant, is helpful towards recovery.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-13-19 at 04:06 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-14-19, 07:41 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I hope you guys don't mind, my plan is to suffer a serious cycling injury vicariously through your stories.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 12-16-19, 08:06 AM
1AvidCyclistCat

Originally Posted by Miami Biker

What does not kill me will strengthen me. Thanks fellow cyclist: very motivating.
Old 12-16-19, 08:08 AM
1AvidCyclistCat

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
had a few accidents in my time that sidelined me for up to two weeks. i'm admittedly not the best patient, rarely sick and not real good at laying around. various concussions, hip injury, rib(s) injuries, shoulder
injuries and back injuries have conspired over the years to make me say "no riding." my biggest thing has always been to get up and at least walk (with a cane at one stretch) two blocks at my worst.
hurt like hell and took 20 minutes but the relief at getting out of bed and trying to avoid atrophy made up for it. slow, flat spinning is better than no spinning at all. i've found laying around is my worst enemy
and i've always felt that doing at least some physical activity, however insignificant, is helpful towards recovery.
Well stayed! If we lay down we go down but if you get up and move then your health wellness follows.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.