Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My Office Built A Bike Room

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 12-02-19, 04:14 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts

...and so far, I'm the only one who signed up to use it. And unless your employee badge is authorized to open the door, you don't get in, so I've got the place to myself. Hanging racks, double-decker racks, wishbone racks, lockers, a pump and tool station, this is just plain cool.

Old 12-02-19, 05:09 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by giffenf
...and so far, I'm the only one who signed up to use it. And unless your employee badge is authorized to open the door, you don't get in, so I've got the place to myself. Hanging racks, double-decker racks, wishbone racks, lockers, a pump and tool station, this is just plain cool.
Old 12-02-19, 05:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
They certainly are trying everything, aren't they?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-02-19, 06:06 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
#jealous
Likes For wsgts:
Old 12-02-19, 06:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Wow.
Old 12-02-19, 06:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by giffenf
Nice. I am about the only cycle commuter to my work place of 100s, and I found an undisturbed spot within the building, a few yards from my office with a direct door opening to it. I posted to this Commuter Forum:
“May I show off my work's bikeparking?”
Originally Posted by epdarks
We have a separate entrance which leads to dedicated bike storage, there's a bike washing station (not pictured), as well as free air, tools, and a vending machine that sells tubes/water bottles/etc. Then of course a full locker room with showers and lockers.

Anyways, I hope you guys don't mind me showing off, I figured it might be of interest to the forum.
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Very nice and it must be good to work for an organization that can be this progressive.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
+1 dittoes to the above replies. My organization might not ncessarily be progressive, but is permissive to me.

FYA, I also recently posted a picture of my bike storage facility, as the only cycle commuter in the organization, and wrote about it:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…an ideal destination for a cycle commuter. I bring the bike inside near my office [through a back door directly from the outside], and have a place to hang my cycling clothes and a table fan to dry them off.

For the most part I wear surgical scrubs all day so I don't necessarily have to clean up on arrival (I shower at home before the ride). I do have shower facilities though, as well as a coffee shop and cafeteria on site.

Finally, almost all my personal service needs like barber shop, dentist,dry-cleaner/tailor, supermarket and drugstore, and good take-out restaurants are all within walking distance [of work], or a short hop on the bike; bike shop two blocks away.

Not to brag, but to illustrate the possibilities.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-02-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 07:02 PM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
really nice...wondering if the fastening bolts are merely drilled into the concrete and might not be that tough to remove should someone actually gain illegal entry into the secure facility?
(became a bit O/C over bike security during this past summer when my Wife observed some would be thieves, eyeballin' my custom outfitted carbon fatbike and her Rad Rover E-fatty, locked on the hitch mounted 1UpUSA rack on the back of our RV in the Whole Foods parking lot while we were shopping)...strange company names like Pragmasis, Laclede, Squire, Cisa, Assa Abloy and terms like "Irwin bolt croppers", "shrouded shackle", "the lockpicking lawyer" & "Rockwell Hardness Score" are common vernacular.
Old 12-02-19, 07:13 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Someone spent some $$$

Looks like you tried most of the racks, which one is the bikes favorite?
Old 12-02-19, 08:11 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

I took all the stuff I usually take off my bike when I get to work (headlight, seat bag, cyclocomputer, water bottle, etc.) back down and put it back on my bike this afternoon. That saves about 10 minutes right there, not having to re-attach everything. As far as security, yes, the studs are just drilled into the concrete and the equipment is bolted to it, but anyone who wanted to do that would likely make a racket and draw attention. That said, even though there is a plexiglass shield over the slats around the door, it wouldn't be hard to slip a coat hanger in and pull the inside handle down and open it. On the other hand, the room is right next to the executive parking area, which has a camera on it, and the door to the bike room has a camera on it, and there's another in the walkway to it, and building security monitors them. Plus it's a decent neighborhood so I'm not too concerned. If there were just an electrical outlet, I could leave my headlight down there to charge for the ride home, but I'm not complaining.

As for which rack I like best, for now, it's the wishbone. My bike leans up against it easily, I don't have to lift it, and my Kryptonite lock slips right through it and I'm good to go. The hanging racks are easy to use, especially if I rode my Tarmac, which is much easier to lift. The double-deckers are OK, but my bike's too big to fit in the top one, the bottom one would be fine, but for now, I'll stick with the wishbones.

We used to have a gym with showers in this building when I worked there for my former employer (long story, but they moved and I got a job with another tenant in the same building), but it closed, so as a courtesy to my co-workers, I don't do the 15.5-mile ride in anymore (so as not to walk around sweaty and smelly all day). I can take a train to within 6 miles of work (no sweat involved in that ride, especially this time of year) and then ride the 15.5 home after work (the absolute highlight of my day, even in L.A. traffic).

There's one other guy in the building who rides regularly (more regularly than I can) but he wasn't there today, but I bet he'll sign up once he sees that they ripped out the old bike rack. He and I are the only two who ride to work, I've seen one bike there besides ours, but only once.

I wish my garage looked as nice as this room does.
Likes For giffenf:
Old 12-02-19, 09:59 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
The one cheap little rack at my workplace is currently buried in a snow bank. I'll have to dig my way to it to try to lock my bike to it tomorrow morning.
Old 12-02-19, 10:37 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Looks like someone had a budget to spend and kind of threw everything in there, including at least 28 lockers. Field of Dreams?

Last edited by alan s; 12-02-19 at 10:41 PM.
Likes For alan s:
Old 12-03-19, 03:35 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Very cool. I’d like to see more of this from employers.
Old 12-03-19, 09:59 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Sweet.
Old 12-03-19, 11:00 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
This looks awesome. Someone spent some money. No specific bike room here. But we have bike racks in the parking garage and a brand new gym with locker rooms and showers. And the bike trail is running by the office. But only 4-5 people out of 500 use the bike.
Old 12-03-19, 12:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Bet you they get a tax write-off or carbon offset credits or something. Still, they've been thoughtful. Was there any kind of survey? It's likely to get more use in the spring.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-03-19, 12:52 PM
giffenf

The entry/parking/elevator badges are all interconnected, and everybody in building management, parking, and security seems to know I'm the bike room guy, because they've all said to me "Hey, you're the guy who signed up for the bike room, right?" in the last two days.

The other guy who rides regularly is here today, but they ended up leaving the old bike rack up for now, so he's parked there. I asked and they said he still hasn't signed up, so the room is still mine, all mine, Bwaahaahaa!
Old 12-07-19, 03:45 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Sweet!! We got a hanging rack in the staff "lounge", which was removed to install new carpeting and never returned. I didn't like it, so I'm quite happy to simply park my bike in the same space, as it's right next to my office. We only have 13 staff and 30-odd clients, so it's quite secure. I just wish we could afford to encourage staff to ride and bus to work rather than drive, as it's just me.
Likes For Korina:
Old 12-09-19, 02:39 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Someone spent some $$$

Looks like you tried most of the racks, which one is the bikes favorite?
Still cheaper than a parking garage, the massive cost of which no one ever questions! LOL

Last edited by davei1980; 12-09-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 03:02 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
That's pretty awesome! We provide a locker room and showers, and my office is more than big enough to store my bike, but for those who work in a cubical, this is a great benefit.