Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best MTB Boots for - 10 cycling

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 10:11 AM
Dyno888

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone have information on winter boots
- How Waterproof are they
- Sizing compared to normal shoes
- Quality of construction
- Cold resistance
- Comfort in pedaling

Northwave , Lake or North45 seem to be the best choices
Old 12-20-19, 08:58 PM
sanmi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can share my experience, which is only with Lake (MXZ303 I think). I’ve used them for a couple of seasons. Perfect warmth for me (comfortable at least down to teens and up to mid-40s, which is what I experience in DC in winter). Pretty waterproof except going through huge puddles when water can go in over the ankle. They do have gator hooks though which I suppose would help. Construction is excellent. Sizing runs a bit small in my opinion. I am a 40-41 but often wear bigger because I need 4E width. Even in the wide size I needed a 44 to get the room I wanted to be able to wiggle toes. As a pedaling platform they do well. I wish there was a little more room around the recessed cleat because they unclip too easily in some pedals. They are not quite as stiff as my carbon soled summer shoes but still pretty good. Overall very happy!
Old 12-21-19, 07:13 AM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Lake Boots (w/ Boa) induced incessant discomfort over the medial malleolus (as bad as horribly fitting ski boots when I was a kid) AND 'difficult to get used to' ankle flexion limitations....so winter fatbike riding it is with 5-10s vs. gortex hiking boots +/- vermiculite toe warmers and +/-booties/gaiters-depending on the terrain, duration and conditions.
IMO-be sure you try them on in a shop to make sure the fit is correct (no shop in town had any inventory and purchased them on-line...& sold 'em via ebay).

Last edited by stormpeakco; 12-21-19 at 07:27 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 12-21-19, 09:46 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve used the Lakes and was reasonably happy with the wide version. One size up was OK for regular socks.
Have since gone to the Wölvhammers. Very nice as boots. Would be happy to have a pair as regular winter boots. One advantage to the WHs re the Lakes is that the WHs can be laced harder over the foot and looser higher up.
In hindsight I might as well have stayed with the Lakes and electrically heated soles instead. I still ended up needing those despite going to a very bulky shoe.
Old 12-21-19, 12:07 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I use regular hiking boots on dual pedals. Not clipped in, but the boots grip the pedals well enough. I paid around $80 several years ago and they have very little wear on them. Should probably last a couple decades. Great for walking if the snow is too deep to ride, but we haven’t had such conditions for a couple years here. Hoping for snow this year for my fat bike. Only one snowfall last year, and it was a blast to ride.