Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Did I pay WAY too much for my bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 11:17 PM
Tommyray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new to cycling and just bought my first bike yesterday. I knew going in to the shop that bikes are not cheap. I also know I could have found cheaper on Facebook market place/Craigslist. But I wanted to have a warranty and figured a shop to be more trust worthy. I was looking for road bikes and they all were $300+. I purchased a Ross Gran Tour for $399 plus tax... There was only one other road bike cheaper than that for $349 and it wasn't in as good condition as the Ross, which basically looks brand new. There was also a Schwinn for $399 that I took for a test ride but the Ross was the best fit. It wasn't till I got home and googled Ross bikes and found that they are know as being a department store bike?? But I did read that they made a few good quality bikes. Is the Gran Tour one of them? I'm really happy with the bike but it was a bold purchase that I was only able to buy because of tax return. Did I get screwed?
Old 03-10-20, 12:40 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
It depends on what a bike goes for where you live. By any metric, you've bought mechanic services you may or may not need. If it fits you and you aren't mechanically inclined, you might spend that much getting it working smoothly anyway.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 03-10-20, 12:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Why don't you upload some photos to your album page:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/513399

That will help us understand where the bike is today.

That sounds high to me, but it may depend a bit on what the finished product is (which may not be how it left the factory decades ago).

Bikes are a bit tricky. Especially used ones. And, one can have a lot of money tied up in the components. Even good tires could run you > $100.

If the bike was bought from a shop, then shops often do excellent build/maintenance work. And, also have to turn a profit. Of course, for that money, I'd expect a full tear-down, cleaning, lube, and several upgrades, and building with quality components, not the cheapest one can buy.
Old 03-10-20, 02:46 AM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Welcome to the bikeforum!

I don't think you spent WAY too much on the bike. If it rides nice, fits you and provides a bike shop for maintenance/support you probably did good.

If you're suffering from buyer's blues, maybe you can take it back for a refund. If not, maybe the best thing is just to ride it and bond with it. The main thing is to get past the doubts and back to enjoying life.
Likes For justslow:
Old 03-10-20, 04:23 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I am going to score this one a 1.5.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-10-20, 05:11 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I don't know your market, but around here you did.
Old 03-10-20, 05:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am going to score this one a 1.5.
I'd love to know what LBS had that model in stock inasmuch as Ross filed for bankruptcy in 1988. While the name was eventually purchased, I don't think that model has been produced in a long time.

Interestingly, Tom Kellogg, of Spectrum fame, once worked on road bikes for Ross, which would make sense seeing as Ross moved manufacturing to Allentown, PA.
Old 03-10-20, 06:14 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
This is like blind man's bluff. Is the bike fully Shimano 600 equipped? Did the shop make any claims as to how they serviced each of the bearings (headset, bottom bracket, hubs, pedals)? Were the cable housings replaced with modern lined housing? Are the tires new? Is the chain new? Brake pads new? If yes to all of these...then you only paid $100 above full market value.

In exchange, you got competent servicing (assumed), a bike that will be trouble free to start out, and one that fit you. You didn't have to diagnose and do any of the mechanical work. I'd say that you did fine. Ride it.

Also, post photos and answer my questions above. PG
Old 03-10-20, 06:28 AM
Fredo_Adagio1
Banned.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The price seems okay as long as it came with disk brakes and electronic shifting. ;-)
Old 03-10-20, 06:56 AM
Fredo_Adagio1
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Being serious for a moment, do you like the bike?

If you like the bike, don't worry what you paid for it. You will keep it for a long time. It is a much bigger waste of money to buy something cheap that you don't really like and then get rid of it after a short time and buy a replacement.

Regarding the cost of bikes, I know a lady who rides a Specialized S-Works Shiv that has a list price of $13,000. She works at a bike shop, so I'm sure she got a good discount, but I'm sure it still was a lot of money even with a discount. I also know a young gentleman who paid $7000 for a Cervelo road bike. It's his pride and joy. I also know a young lady who recently paid more than $5000 for a Felt triathlon bike. She bought it as a graduation present to herself when she completed an MBA. She is a candidate for going pro as a triathlete, so she really does need a good bike.

I have a Trek 520 touring bike and a Trek 2200 road bike from the mid-1990s. At the time I bought them, they seemed expensive, but I still ride them both, and it still makes me happy every time I look at them. During that same time period, I bought a Gary Fisher Mamba mountain bike. I couldn't bring myself to pay about $150 more for the Gary Fisher Big Sur. I still ride the Mamba, but every time I look at it I think to myself that I should have bought the Big Sur.
Likes For Fredo_Adagio1:
Old 03-10-20, 10:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommyray
I'm really happy with the bike...Did I get screwed?
If you like it, then no.
Old 03-10-20, 10:36 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Honestly it doesn't matter IMO. $399 in the spectrum of what a bike could cost once you get "into" the sport is relatively small. Not to say $399 is nothing financially just I see any bike under $500 as really just a stepping stone. Enjoy the bike for what it is since I am sure you can't return it and see how far and fast you can take it. Once your ability outgrows the bike yeah maybe get a more name brand bike

one thing to thing about is a warranty is kind of a mixed bag since I have seen companies go out of there way to make a bike right and I have seen companies also completely deny a warranty even when the user was not at fault. A lot of the time it will come down to the bike rep working with your LBS. If you are looking to keep this bike for many many years than yeah a warranty is a good idea but if this is just an entry level bike to get your foot in the door than yeah buying used would have been better but could have been a mixed bag especially if you don't know what to look out for
Old 03-10-20, 11:04 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Spending WAY too much is all in the wallet of the individual. I recently acquired a 90's Cannondale 3.0 road bike in great shape for free! I then promptly spent over $800.00 on it in the form of new tires, wheels, brakes, downtube 6 speed shifters to Claris 8 speed grupo, bar tape, etc., etc...
Did I spend WAY too much money on this bike? It is a gift for my Grandson so I actually don't care what anyone thinks about what I spent. It is a much better bike because of the money spent on it and my Grandson loves the bike and actually rides it.
Likes For oldgeezerjeff:
Old 03-10-20, 12:03 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Bonus points for the conversation with himself!
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-10-20, 12:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
I agree with the others; if you like it and it fits you, then you probably spent too much, but so what? Just ride the bike. And definitely show us pictures.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-10-20, 12:16 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
We all do that.

"You know you want those wheels, dude."
"Yeah, but I told her I wouldn't spend the money."
"You need those wheels!"
Old 03-10-20, 12:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Yep. Tommyray created an account today to ask a question, and Fredo_Adagio created an account today to answer the question. Seems a bit odd.

But yeah, whoever you are, you paid way too much for that bike.
Old 03-10-20, 12:42 PM
Fredo_Adagio1
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yep. Tommyray created an account today to ask a question, and Fredo_Adagio created an account today to answer the question. Seems a bit odd.

But yeah, whoever you are, you paid way too much for that bike.
I apologize for the confusion. I've been on Bike Forums for a while. I just changed my username to match my Slow Twitch account. I used to be TooOldandSlow. Most forums allow members to change their usernames, but Bike Forums doesn't allow that, so I had to set up a new account. Regardless, I am not the same person as Tommyray.
Old 03-10-20, 12:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo_Adagio
I apologize for the confusion. I've been on Bike Forums for a while. I just changed my username to match my Slow Twitch account. I used to be TooOldandSlow. Most forums allow members to change their usernames, but Bike Forums doesn't allow that, so I had to set up a new account. Regardless, I am not the same person as Tommyray.
Good to know! And at least you didn't pay too much for an old bike.
Old 03-10-20, 01:02 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'd love to know what LBS had that model in stock inasmuch as Ross filed for bankruptcy in 1988. While the name was eventually purchased, I don't think that model has been produced in a long time.
He bought it used. Many bike shops also sell used bikes.
Old 03-10-20, 01:07 PM
Fredo_Adagio1
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote
Good to know! And at least you didn't pay too much for an old bike.
Yeah, but my wife thinks I paid too much for my new bike - $2900. To me, it seems like a bargain compared to what friends are paying for their new bikes.
Old 03-10-20, 01:12 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Ross was not dept store brand. It is a low-end bike shop brand, and isn't pure garbage. They actually made some mid-range bikes too. I think the Grand Tour was an entry level 10 speed.
If it were a new bike sold today, I bet it would be close to $500. Think of it as something in between a Huffy/ Murray and a Schwinn World Sport or Traveler...
If you find one on Craigslist, you'd probably pay $150.
Just don't dump money into upgrading it. When you want an upgrade, buy a new bike and keep the Ross for casual riding with friends or use it as a house bike for someone else to ride with you.
Old 03-10-20, 01:13 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Ask me a year from now.

A year from now, if you are riding your bike a lot and having fun, you got a fantastic deal! If your bike is stored someplace gathering cobwebs, you wasted your money. The thing that matters is how much fun you are having with your new bike. You can buy the best bike in the world for a cheap price and, if it's just gathering dust and rust, your money was wasted.
Old 03-10-20, 06:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
He bought it used. Many bike shops also sell used bikes.
Ok. I get it. He bought a used bike from the 80s, that was considered mediocre at best, for $350. Can I interest you in a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn?
Old 03-10-20, 06:57 PM
Fredo_Adagio1
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
There is an online bicycle blue book in which I found the following entry.

1995 Ross Gran Tour
Trade-In Range: $58-$60
Private Party Range: $106-$109
MSRP: $250

There is a toggle for condition, but the price numbers don't change.

I'll return to the thought that the bike is a good deal as long as the owner likes it and uses it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.