Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Post ride Fatigue

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Post ride Fatigue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 01:03 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
Here’s a thought from a newbie himself (52) total uninformed, non medical professional perspective and if you have any concerns, you should absolutely see your doc.

But....

Maybe you’re just tired and need some sleep to recover. You do 30 miles after only riding for 8 weeks and you’re 67 years old. To me, it sounds like a huge workload for someone your age who has really just got started. Are you pushing yourself on these rides?

You ride in the morning, have a meal, and need a rest.

The fact that you are even riding such mileage without struggling during the ride would seem to indicate you are fine. And you are doing 20 miles with no issue after those rides.

If you took an average 67 year old (non cyclist)they couldn’t even do 5 miles and if they did more than 10, they would sleep for 3 days.

Ok, that’s my rant.

But seriously, if you have concerns, be safe and talk to your doc ; )
This above. I don't know your level of conditioning, but you seem fine for someone only 8 weeks in. I bet you could use at least one day off per week, more if you usually book it like a time trial. Look up training based on periodic rest days.
One protein bar should be enough for a 20-35 mile ride. Drink before you are thirsty. Drink a sports drink a half strength to avoid stomach upset.
BTW, I'm 68, and when I straggle home tomorrow after a 60 mile ride, I'll probably turn on Championship Golf because it always looks so brilliant when I'm half stunned.
Old 08-18-20, 10:54 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
This discussion begs the question as to what is a good basic evaluation for riding based on age and environment.
I recommend:
Someone who listens to you
A Good history and review of family history.
Very basic screening labs for identified risks
Counseling on identified risks
Consideration of a monitored Stress test, and possibly screening for peripheral vascular disease
A plan to monitor progression
Follow up and response to any new significant changes.

Much less and you might as well use a vending machine for health care.

#1 is the hardest to achieve
Old 08-18-20, 06:41 PM
Rstyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Follow up:
1) Thanks for all the responses
2) Significant improvement with various changes. I now drink G2, take Gu at 15miles, 1/2 -3/4 mile at the end of the ride at 7-9mph. cold shower, protein drink when I get home ( Shamrock Vanilla Rocking Protein - soo good!)
3) Plan for some activity or chores in the afternoon or a few hours after the ride. Wash car, go to the store, work in the garden etc. If you sit to read a book or watch golf on TV your body will take it as a sign that it is time to
take a real break.
4) The statin issue is a good point. My serum CPK which is used to determine evidence of muscle injury, severe fatigue etc has been normal. Recent articles suggest that CPK is not reliable in statin related muscle pain-fatigue
and some patients will have a normal CPK with the presence of significant statin related symptoms. This week I get my annual blood work and next week I see by MD for routine visit. I will ask him about discontinuing the Crestor
for 3-4 weeks out of curiosity
5) Next is....hopefully..... 40-50 miles on weekends. Unfortunately the heat in Florida this summer is tough and may have to wait until early fall.