Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help identify this Louis Garneau bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-28-20, 09:19 AM
Synmag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm looking at buying this bike and any info would be appreciated as I can't find anything online except for another for sale listing for a road bike. The bike has a "motion city 2.5" sticker on it, it is a 58cm frame and the seller measured the SOH to be 82cm that would be about 22" and 33". I saw an interview with Garneau which states he started making bikes around 2000. Judging by the looks I would say it's about 10 years old. It has Alex 450 wheels (if that helps date the bike). The other listing had a Tiagra groupset so if this bike is similar it sounds like a good deal. It looks like a nice light 2x10 (4600/4700 or even a 9 gear 4500) It also looks like a carbon fork/seat stem and a nice seat.

It looks to me like someone has modified a road bike with straight bars which is right up my alley as I mostly do fitness rides (about 100km/week/60miles) but I'm 50 and don't want drop bars. I'm just curious about the gears as I do want some hill climbing capabilities.

What would you say is a reasonable price for a bike like this for a big city like Toronto (I'm told highly populated areas have higher prices.?

Any advice would be appreciated as I have not looked at road bikes other than groupsets and I saw that Tiagra is considered the entry-level groupset for road bikes but high end on hybrid bikes. I'm coming from a 2011 Cannondale Quick 4 with 27 speed acera groupset (rear der. but lower front) with a carbon fork that I really loved and suited me. I'm hoping to go see it today or tomorrow.

Last edited by Synmag; 07-28-20 at 09:27 AM. Reason: correct measurement
Old 07-28-20, 10:33 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Given the brakes, the name Motion City, and your description of it having a flat bar, my guess is that it was a hybrid bike. Looks like a basic aluminum frame from about 2008-2010. I'd guess it's worth maybe $250.
Old 07-28-20, 11:58 AM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for that. I just looked up the tiagra front gears I only see black photos for the 4400 which came out in 2001. The 4500 came out in 2006 so would that mean it could be from before 2007 or was the 4400 still being used after the 4500 came out? I'm going to have to find a good way to identify the group set when I look at it to help date it. Given that both are 9 gear cassettes are there any easy ways to identify the components?

The frame looks a bit crude to me with all the visible welding but that may have been normal for the time period? Though the shape of the back triangle looks an awful lot like my 2011 Cannondale's save vibration-reducing technology with the taper of the bottom bar between the crank and the back hub.

Regarding price, they are asking $800 which is about US$600. Bikes of this type with carbon forks tend to go for around $700/800 US$525/600.

I'm starting to get a funny feeling about it though as the seller is very slow in responding and it's been almost three days. Good bikes around here are sold very quickly.
Old 07-28-20, 12:57 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't want to litter with all kinds of "identify this bike" type posts but has anyone heard of Le circuit 12 speed bikes? I'm thinking of picking up an old bike for cheap and then take my time replacing my stolen bike wither when I find a suitable one or after things calm down with COVID and prices return to normal. There is one available for CAD$100 in good working order according to the seller that has bee hanging in his garage. Probably 20 years old.

BTW I'm open to ideas on how to do this efficiently and in the least annoying manner .
Old 07-28-20, 03:11 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, the Le circuit was sold and the Garneau I'm pretty sure is a scam. On to a Devinci Copenhagen....