Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bought a CV frame. The chain stay is damaged. How bad is it?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-11-20, 01:44 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

I was honestly pretty stoked when I bought this bike through marketplace. It's the same model as my first bike and it has very cool features, e.g. the handlebars. The previous early had mentioned superficial damage but nothing structural so I felt confident buying it. It arrived today poorly protected in two separate boxes. Everything seems fine except for the right seat stay. See pics below. I don't know if it happened while it was shipped or if it was already like this. But this is not my main concern.

I by no means intend to race this bike. I'll only use it as a commuter. Do you think this damage on the seat stay is enough to disqualify the bike?

Old 08-11-20, 02:40 PM
Davespix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
That crimp is subject to developing a crack so it depends how much stress you put on the bike. I’d ride it and keep an eye on the crimped parts. I doubt it will fail catastrophically while riding.

Last edited by Davespix; 08-11-20 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-11-20, 02:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A framebuilder can replace the chainstay ... then you get it repainted
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-11-20, 03:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26373 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
...I wouldn't buy that, and I wouldn't invest a whole lot in repairing it. Neither would I ride it.
That is oddly damaged, almost looks like an intentional crimp, poorly executed, for chainring clearance.

Is it aluminum or steel ?
Old 08-11-20, 04:34 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I doubt that happened in shipment. At the least, I'd renegotiate the price.
Old 08-11-20, 05:38 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Is it aluminum or steel ?
Specialized very own double butted CrMo.

At least I'm not very heavy..
Old 08-11-20, 05:41 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Due to the sharp crease at the top and bottom of the crimp, that is what makes it no bueno and subject developing a crack in the tube eventually. Will it do it immediately? probably not. Is it repairable? Yes. Is it worth the repair? only you can answer. IMHO you should ask for a refund or a renegotiate or insurance. It was either there and they didn't disclose, or it happened in transit (I have no idea how it could) and it wasn't packed properly.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 08-11-20, 09:48 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny7
I was honestly pretty stoked when I bought this bike through marketplace. It's the same model as my first bike and it has very cool features, e.g. the handlebars. The previous early had mentioned superficial damage but nothing structural so I felt confident buying it. It arrived today poorly protected in two separate boxes. Everything seems fine except for the right seat stay. See pics below. I don't know if it happened while it was shipped or if it was already like this. But this is not my main concern.

I by no means intend to race this bike. I'll only use it as a commuter. Do you think this damage on the seat stay is enough to disqualify the bike?
No way that damage (specifically the ding on the inside) happened in transit. I would try to get yr money back. There are enough frames out there that you don’t have to end up with this
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-11-20, 10:02 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Keep an eye on it, but it might never develop a crack. I have a frame with damage like that and it’s been fine over ~4000 miles so far.
Old 08-12-20, 07:40 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
I agree with 3alarmer, that is not "superficial damage but nothing structural" that is structural. Also agree that the creases did not occur in shipping and it was an attempt to get chainring clearance with a technique that did not work on the Pro's thin tube.
Old 08-12-20, 07:48 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
I wonder if the damage is from an attempt (successsful or not) to steal it. ???
Old 08-12-20, 09:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

My Guess:
Shipped without a rear wheel in it .. or a separator block, before shipping,
The chain stay was crushed inward, dimple on the inside , then bent back, making the outside one..
Old 08-12-20, 10:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
No they don't pack them very well for shipping. But was the box showing a lot of damage and was anything else damaged. And I don't necessarily think what follows is correct. But it is another thing to consider that hasn't been brought up.

Although the dent doesn't look purpose made, it is in about the area of the small chain ring. Many frames have dents, depressions and flat spots put into them at this point of the chainstay. This looks like a steel frame from the 80's. Specialized probably had several different suppliers from Japan or elsewhere. At that time different techniques of manufacturing on the same model frame where common since they are hand built. Perhaps this was made by a not quite experienced enough builder and is just sloppy work.

So put the crank back on and see if that is plausible. However if the BB is not the original length spindle and cranks too, then that might not show if this was done for clearance. There is frequently a dent on both sides of the tube when the make the dent for clearance. I'm not sure why there is a dent on the top of the tube. But if this is a steel tubed bike, it might not be an issue if everything is lining up correctly.

You can look through pictures of old vintage frames and you see many different ways that the stays are dented for clearance. Even some of the same model frames seem to have been dented by different methods.

Without any damage to the crank, chainrings or front DR, I'd be skeptical this was done during shipping. Or were they removed for shipping?
Old 08-12-20, 12:07 PM
AeroGut

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I think you can be pretty confident that it's a deliberate (amateur after-market) modification for small chainring clearance. But if the seller claims it's original to the bike, here are some pictures of the same model frame where you can see clearly that there's a slight indent, but nothing like what you've got and nothing visible on the inside of the stay:

https://picclick.com/Nos-Vintage-Spe...018114285.html
Old 08-12-20, 02:09 PM
jonny7

Originally Posted by fietsbob
My Guess:
The chain stay was crushed inward, dimple on the inside , then bent back, making the outside one..
holy c.. that must be it.

Originally Posted by Iride01
No they don't pack them very well for shipping. But was the box showing a lot of damage and was anything else damaged. Or were they removed for shipping?
Since... he was by no means an experimented seller. He sent the package in two different boxes (bc of the size limits), one for the wheels, the other for the frame and other accessories.

And now I've litteraly found a crack in the seat stay

Oh, and while we're at it!

Old 08-12-20, 02:19 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
My Guess:
Only thing is, there's a scrape mark just aft of the indentation on the inside. This suggests some kind of clamping/crimping action. In any event, the bike is not as advertised, not even close.
Old 08-12-20, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

remove the paint to learn if it was just paint cracking

I call these winning Pyrrhic bargains..
Old 08-12-20, 02:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
If those dings and dents were not disclosed by the seller, then I'd want my money back. If they were caused by shipping, I think it is the person that shipped the item that has to make that claim.

Unless it was a less than 50 dollar purchase, it'll not be worth making it right enough for riding when so much better is out there. It's scrap iron to me.
Old 08-12-20, 03:21 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Due take the following as "a grain of salt", since I'm no pro mech; if it is repairable, yes; it depends on how much you value it. Those drive side stays were bent either in an accidental, an incidental, or intentional manner. The bends are almost parallel to one another, so my guess would be a motor vehicle collision ( being side swiped or t boned by a driver), an amateurish-gone-bad-attempt at re spacing the rear triangle, or an attempted illegal possesion of the bike. Yes, they will crack eventually so it will be up to you to decide between riding carefully 'til they crack/split, have a frame replace the tubes or, negotiate a refund from the seller. Good luck on whatever you decide, and keep us posted.
Old 08-12-20, 03:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Send that back. If those dents were from your life with the bike you could just regard them as battle scars and live with them. But on arrival? No. This is on the seller Either he didn't disclose or his packaging and choice of shipper are to blame.

That chainstay - I think Fietsbob nailed it.

Ben
Old 08-12-20, 03:46 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
holy c.. that must be it.

Since... he was by no means an experimented seller. He sent the package in two different boxes (bc of the size limits), one for the wheels, the other for the frame and other accessories.

And now I've litteraly found a crack in the seat stay

Oh, and while we're at it!

OK, I take it back. I wouldn't keep that frame.
Old 08-12-20, 10:02 PM
JimOfOakCreek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ask for a refund immediately. The seller’s description does not match the real condition of the bike. The dents and crack will always nag you if you decide to keep it.
Old 08-13-20, 05:03 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 1,879 Times in 1,131 Posts
If that frame showed up at my door it would go back to the seller. Those bends indicate that the frame was in a crash and damaged to the point of being replaced by an insurance adjuster. If it wasn't, it should have. Find another frame that fits you and purchase it. The cost of repairs is way over the value of the frame, so I would not keep it. Hoping to hear an opinion from Robbie Tunes.... JHMO, MH
Old 08-13-20, 05:54 PM
jonny7

The frontwheel is also totally toasted btw.

Trying to get a refund from the seller as we speak, but he's not showing any sign of collaboration, says the advice given to me by my LBS (i.e. NOT to ride the bike) is flawed because they want to sell more pieces, etc.

The ad mentioned a bike with no real damage but mentioned a necessary tuning for the wheels and the shifters. Since I'd been looking for this frame for a long time and I didn't want to lose it, I bought it without inquiring any further. Lesson learned. Now I'm trying to get a full refund (I'd reship it to him) or at least a partial refund which would then allow me to cover my losses by selling the tricolor group, the Greg-Lemond-style handlebar and the saddle.
Old 08-13-20, 08:53 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
The frontwheel is also totally toasted btw.

Trying to get a refund from the seller as we speak, but he's not showing any sign of collaboration, says the advice given to me by my LBS (i.e. NOT to ride the bike) is flawed because they want to sell more pieces, etc.

The ad mentioned a bike with no real damage but mentioned a necessary tuning for the wheels and the shifters. Since I'd been looking for this frame for a long time and I didn't want to lose it, I bought it without inquiring any further. Lesson learned. Now I'm trying to get a full refund (I'd reship it to him) or at least a partial refund which would then allow me to cover my losses by selling the tricolor group, the Greg-Lemond-style handlebar and the saddle.
What's shown IS real damage; ask for full refund as damage was not disclosed. And please, next time go easy over the emotion vs. reason processing; you'll more likely get what you really want if you search for it enough. Good luck!👍
Likes For Juan el Boricua:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.