Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

opinions on CAT rain capes?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 08:41 PM
mwhoyle

Bikes: 1996 Schwinn Le Tour, 2006 Fuji Roubaix, 1970s Motobecane Singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Does anyone have any opinion to share on the Center for Appropriate Transport in Oregon's rain capes?

https://www.catoregon.org/cat-store/cape/

I've never used a cape but would be interested in trying...

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 07-10-13, 08:08 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I use a Campmor Rain Cape which is very similar but made from lightweight PVC. It works well, creates better ventilation than a rain suit, but don't expect speed. It's like pushing an umbrella ahead of you.

Marc
Old 07-10-13, 08:19 AM
mwhoyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Marc. I believe you about the "umbrella" effect. :-)
Old 07-10-13, 08:30 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raincapes.... Ok... Where I start.... LoL

I did a lot of research before I bought mine and finally, after talking with fetzbob, I went with https://www.catoregon.org/cat-store/

i used it a couple of time thus far in the rain warmer weather. No doubt it will work wondering a in the winter time, for summer, it is a bit warm. I ordered ultrex because it wicks water and is waterproof versus the canvas which absorbs water and becomes heavy although it is from reusable material which I like. I bought mine for touring and needed it not to soak water in.

It works wonders. It is hot when used in the summer time. The wind, yes, is an issue and WILL slow you down. Think about it, the front basically is an awning over your body and legs. But it also acts like a wind sail.... But not in a good way. When I used it during heavy rain and wind, yes I did prevent cold rain water to come in but I was pretty sweaty after the ride. Guess that is better to be frank.

Te front will catch wind regardless if you are having a head wind or not. Just the nature of the beast.

Also the hand straps take a bit to get used to. It can limit signaling for a turn but you will get used to it.

Is it m favorite thing I use for cycling? No. Does it work? Yes. Is it hot? Yes. Does wind catch it? Yes. Is it water proof? Yes. Would I buy it again? Yes.

The company was great to work with, based in Eugene, Oregon. I went with the one I went with because of the fact that it does not soak up water like the waxed canvas ones do. That was important to me.
Old 07-10-13, 09:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I own this one .. https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/ar1.htm, it's heavy PVC coated outside .

but here it's, occasionally, heavy, rain in the 9 months of 'winter' .

Mine is a temperate marine climate on the west coast.

CAT's semi volunteers, sews them together when the Order comes in, there ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-10-13 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-10-13, 10:05 AM
mwhoyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys. Definitely helpful.
Old 07-10-13, 10:10 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've used one for touring. They work. Are they better than a good quality rain coat? Dunno but they should be a heck of a lot cheaper than a breathable rain coat (we're talking treated nylon or pvc as opposed to some presumably more expensive material) and take a lot of abuse well. Of course if you opt for the raincape made for cod fishermen in Portugal sold by Rivendell, you won't be saving any money but you might look cool on the deck of your yacht with one. https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/ar1.htm

Last edited by bikemig; 07-10-13 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-10-13, 08:15 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm a big fan of rain capes. They are better ventilated than anything else, and - importantly - they are also quick and easy to put on and take off. They aren't very aerodynamic, but I don't tend to ride very fast when it's raining anyway.

However, a friend of mine bought a waxed canvas rain cape (I think from Carradice, but I'm not sure) and ended up returning it because it wasn't waterproof enough; he replaced it with the Rivendell poncho mentioned above.

The nice thing about the catoregon capes is that they come in sizes; while my one-size-fits-all cape is fine, I'd be happier with something a little smaller.
Old 07-10-13, 09:32 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I use a Campmor Rain Cape which is very similar but made from lightweight PVC. It works well, creates better ventilation than a rain suit, but don't expect speed. It's like pushing an umbrella ahead of you.

Marc
I have this one. Weighs 8 oz, packs down much better than other rain gear. Much less heat build up. I also have a traditional rain jacket and pants, but they just fill up my shoes with water, whereas the cape actually keeps gloves and shoes a little drier.
Old 07-10-13, 11:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Of course if you opt for the raincape made for cod fishermen in Portugal sold by Rivendell, you won't be saving any money but you might look cool on the deck of your yacht with one.
actually as I understand the bike cape did not exist from Grundens until Grant Petersen and company
hired them to make it to their designs , exclusively FS by them..

the fabric and the way they are seam welded, like the at sea fishing foul weather gear was utilized.

to get the product rivbike sells .

I jumped on the initial sale , they have increased the sale price since.

But , I live in a commercial Fishing town , so the company reputation is known here.

Eat Crab, Wear Grundens ,T shirts, on the neighbors..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-10-13 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 01:27 PM
formicaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a cheap Chinese rain cape from eBay. I tried so-called breathable rain jackets, but I sweat so much in them in any weather that I end up wetter than I would have been just getting rained on. The cape allows much more air flow and keeps me dry in moderate rain. If the wind is whipping it around, you do need some rain pants. And, of course,if you don't have fenders, a cape isn't the best choice.