Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Finding the right (N+1) Gravel Bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Finding the right (N+1) Gravel Bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-19, 02:08 PM
mcgeggy

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Synapse (105)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I thought I had finally made up my mind and decided on the Jari 1.5 Apex in size 56 - but as of yesterday that size is NLA!

Now I am down to these two choices:

Raleigh Willard 4 (105) for $1139 (size 58 seems to correspond most closely with my Synapse size 56...)
or
Norco Search XR Aluminum Apex $1600 (I would seem to be right between their two sizes 55.5 & 58...)

The Raleigh would ship to my house and I would assemble and take it to lbs for final tune up.
The Norco closest dealer is about an hour away from me, but they don't stock this bike so hopefully they can figure out the best size for me in store before ordering. This option obviously more than my initial budget though...

Geez, the bike industry really makes this whole N+1 thing difficult to accomplish!

Last edited by mcgeggy; 01-05-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 02:18 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
You really should test ride the bike to determine final sizing. My local Norco dealer is pretty cool. I basically started up a relationship with them, brought in a few friends who bought bikes, i buy misc gear from him too. Each time i inquire about something new, and how much it costs, after his answer, i always add, Now what is MY price???? He knocked off $200 for my $1,400 hardtail. And $400 off my Search (it was a 2018, and 2019s were becoming available). There are ways to work the system, but being an hour away makes it tough. If you pursue that Norco, he really should order two sizes, and you get the one that fits. Shouldn't be too hard to sell the second, and it's his cost of doing business.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 01-05-19, 02:26 PM
mcgeggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericzamora
You really should test ride the bike to determine final sizing. My local Norco dealer is pretty cool. I basically started up a relationship with them, brought in a few friends who bought bikes, i buy misc gear from him too. Each time i inquire about something new, and how much it costs, after his answer, i always add, Now what is MY price???? He knocked off $200 for my $1,400 hardtail. And $400 off my Search (it was a 2018, and 2019s were becoming available). There are ways to work the system, but being an hour away makes it tough. If you pursue that Norco, he really should order two sizes, and you get the one that fits. Shouldn't be too hard to sell the second, and it's his cost of doing business.

eric/fresno, ca.
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually did see another lbs Norco seller a bit closer. None of them seem to stock the Search, but at least I have two options as to who may be more cooperative...
Old 01-05-19, 06:37 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by ericzamora
If you pursue that Norco, he really should order two sizes, and you get the one that fits. Shouldn't be too hard to sell the second, and it's his cost of doing business. eric/fresno, ca.
I never thought of asking a dealer to do that. As a result I've erred a couple times in choosing a bike that was just a bit too big because I get in there, get all excited and want to roll out on a new bike! I scored however when I bought my Rove--they had two, in the two consecutive sizes that I always seem to be in between, so I got to ride them both (and ended up with the smaller one).
Old 01-05-19, 08:30 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I never thought of asking a dealer to do that. As a result I've erred a couple times in choosing a bike that was just a bit too big because I get in there, get all excited and want to roll out on a new bike! I scored however when I bought my Rove--they had two, in the two consecutive sizes that I always seem to be in between, so I got to ride them both (and ended up with the smaller one).
A really good LBS will measure / do a very basic bike fit or worse case scenario at least sit you on other bikes by the same manufacturer to at least get a good idea of what will fit you so theoretically you shouldn't ever be looking at the wrong size and if they're not prepared to do it you're possibly in the wrong shop.
Old 01-06-19, 05:50 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by mcgeggy
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually did see another lbs Norco seller a bit closer. None of them seem to stock the Search, but at least I have two options as to who may be more cooperative...
If your question is only about fit, a good shop should be able to set you up on a bike with similar stack and reach to the alternative bike sizes from Norco and decide which one would be a better fit for you. It's really easy to do if you have measurements from a current fit / frame setup.
Old 01-06-19, 05:54 PM
mcgeggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
if you don't mind a taller standover. That jari would work for you. I just saw the price.
Called nearby lbs today to see about the 2019 Jari 1.3 Apex, apparently it appears to be indefinitely on backorder.

Shop told me the closest match they had was the Salsa Journeyman 700 Apex. I just don’t like the idea of QR + mech disc brakes. I found an old thread where you pointed out several other undesirable features of this bike, and despite the flack you received for your opinion I agreed with all the points you were trying to make.
Old 01-07-19, 01:50 PM
mcgeggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to a nearby Cannondale shop to check out the Topstone Apex 1 (love the color!). I was hoping to convince myself somehow that I could justify the $2100 price. They only had size L which felt a bit too big, and getting a size M in stock sounded a bit iffy even though they had one on order.

So I decided the Topstone Sora was good enough! Right back at my original price range and the Vulcan Green color was at least nicer than the Graphite of the 105 version. Another big plus was that I could add crosstop brake levers which I don't think is possible on the full hydraulic disc brakes of the Apex version. I had them added to my road brake and love them.

Overall I feel good about sticking to my budget and I think I'll be happy with this bike!
Old 01-07-19, 04:23 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I forgot about that green on the Sora, it's a super sharp color, even better in person.
Old 01-08-19, 09:49 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
We want photos!
Old 01-08-19, 10:52 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
We want photos!

I second this!

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 01-08-19, 01:13 PM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I agree that the green looks really sharp is my favorite of the 3 paint jobs. Congrats!
Old 01-08-19, 01:22 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Agree pics please!

RE: QR + Disc, hasn't been a problem for me at all. I literally can't tell the different between any of my QR/TA bikes. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about there.
Old 01-08-19, 03:23 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by shoota
Agree pics please!

RE: QR + Disc, hasn't been a problem for me at all. I literally can't tell the different between any of my QR/TA bikes. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about there.
flex.
for those that don't like it, it matters.
Old 01-08-19, 03:32 PM
shoota 

flex.
for those that don't like it, it matters.
Flex in what? I've never noticed any flex. What happens when whatever it is that flexes, flexes?
Old 01-08-19, 03:50 PM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
QR sucks with disc brakes. With TA the rotor is always in the same spot in relation to the caliper. With QR it is not. Also it is very easy to flex the rear with QR and get rotor rub.
Old 01-08-19, 04:01 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by gus6464
QR sucks with disc brakes. With TA the rotor is always in the same spot in relation to the caliper. With QR it is not. Also it is very easy to flex the rear with QR and get rotor rub.
I've not experienced either of those issues. But anyhoo, it doesn't matter. TA is technically more advanced and definitely feels safer, even if it isn't.
Old 01-08-19, 04:13 PM
Metieval

lateral flex in the fork, which causes loss in steering precision.

but there are other advantages to lighter stiffer forks due to being tied together in a box. vs Over building forks in attempt to make them stronger to resist lateral flex but still failing to do so.

cheap QR forks for disc brake bicycles are terrible to ride in my experience. Especially after experiencing better. Thus I like TA disc brake forks.

QR vs TA

threaded head sets vs threadless,

threaded BB vs PF

tubeless vs clincher vs tubular

17 lb carbon vs 30 lb steel

red vs blue vs yellow

cloth vs , cork, vs rubber bar tape

why is there a fuss about anything? Why is there a fuss about stuff that supposedly doesn't even matter to you?
Old 01-08-19, 04:35 PM
mcgeggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll get some pics up as soon as I pick up the bike later this week!
Old 01-09-19, 08:21 AM
shoota 

threaded head sets vs threadless, THREADLESS

threaded BB vs PF THREADED

tubeless vs clincher vs tubular TUBELESS

17 lb carbon vs 30 lb steel 17lbs CARBON

red vs blue vs yellow RED

cloth vs , cork, vs rubber bar tape RUBBER

why is there a fuss about anything? Why is there a fuss about stuff that supposedly doesn't even matter to you? JUST BECAUSE
Thanks for the info on the QR forks. I've never ridden a cheap QR disc fork so maybe that's why I've never experienced the flex.
Old 01-09-19, 09:22 AM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I've been tempted to move on my 56cm Tamland if that tickles your fancy.
post that tamland please
Old 01-09-19, 10:40 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
This is demonstrably not true, it's ex post facto justification for what is a safety, production and feature change. Thru-axle is more likely to end up in the same spot due to forcing the hub into the same vertical position but is not designed for consistent rotor centering and does not do so in practice. The placement of the rotor in relation to the caliper is determined by seating depth within the dropout, orientation of the locknuts both vertical to the hubface and on the z-axis, runout of the locknuts, and the respective parallel facing of each dropout.

Thru-axle used to be tired entirely to bikes with hydraulic brakes, those types of calipers are self-centering to a large degree. This was erroneously attributed to thru-axle. As thru-axle continues to filter down to bikes with mechanical brakes it will become obvious to more users there is no inherent centering or repeat-ability designed into the interface.
Old 01-09-19, 02:21 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
This is demonstrably not true, it's ex post facto justification for what is a safety, production and feature change. Thru-axle is more likely to end up in the same spot due to forcing the hub into the same vertical position but is not designed for consistent rotor centering and does not do so in practice. The placement of the rotor in relation to the caliper is determined by seating depth within the dropout, orientation of the locknuts both vertical to the hubface and on the z-axis, runout of the locknuts, and the respective parallel facing of each dropout.

Thru-axle used to be tired entirely to bikes with hydraulic brakes, those types of calipers are self-centering to a large degree. This was erroneously attributed to thru-axle. As thru-axle continues to filter down to bikes with mechanical brakes it will become obvious to more users there is no inherent centering or repeat-ability designed into the interface.
Right?? I mean I have the WORST possible combo: QR + mech calipers. In theory I should have all kinds of problems getting my rotor aligned correctly. Guess what? Never had a problem.
Old 01-09-19, 02:39 PM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Right?? I mean I have the WORST possible combo: QR + mech calipers. In theory I should have all kinds of problems getting my rotor aligned correctly. Guess what? Never had a problem.
Yes because as with everything surrounding you if did/didn't happen to you it must be the absolute case with everyone else as well.

My Marin Muirwoods 29er with QR started out with mech brakes. Every time I took out a wheel I would have to faff with the caliper to get it to seat just right again whether the front or the rear. After putting Deore hydro brakes on it the faffing was still there. I have yet to mess with the caliper when taking out the wheel of my gravel and full suspension mtb which have TA.
Old 01-09-19, 03:13 PM
shoota 

Yes because as with everything surrounding you if did/didn't happen to you it must be the absolute case with everyone else as well.

My Marin Muirwoods 29er with QR started out with mech brakes. Every time I took out a wheel I would have to faff with the caliper to get it to seat just right again whether the front or the rear. After putting Deore hydro brakes on it the faffing was still there. I have yet to mess with the caliper when taking out the wheel of my gravel and full suspension mtb which have TA.
Fair play. Now that I think of it my dad's fat bike was a pain if I took the wheel off. I guess I got lucky, I'm certainly not complaining

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.