Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Many of You People Are Baby-Boomers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 07:36 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Is this an America thing?

If you are referring to the subject of this thread baby boomer cyclists, it isn't just limited to America. Cyclists reap the benefits of better health and living longer, There are many baby boomer cyclists out there.

Thought for the day:
You don't quit cycling because you get old. You get old because you quit cycling.
Old 03-31-19, 07:51 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
DOB: 9/6/1952

I bought my first drop bar bike, motobecane, in 1971 and have owned one ever since. I still ride because I enjoy it so much. For me, I think the mental health aspect of it is as important as anything else.
Old 03-31-19, 07:58 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Different sources I guess;

"People born before 1946 are called - The Greatest Generation. People born between 1946 and 1964 are called - The Baby Boomers. People born between 1965 and 1979 are called - Generation X. And people bornbetween 1980 and 2010 are called -Generation Y.Jul 26, 2013"
I was born in 1942. I can see this turning onto a political discussion which I don't want to do but I do not consider either myself or the people of my era worthy of "The Greatest Generation" Those were the WWII GI's. They won the war and then they really did make America great. I was still a baby.
Old 03-31-19, 08:44 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Boomer here, 1953, but I really consider myself the Space Race generation as it consumed my interest until the moon landing. We all rode as kids, sometimes in great hordes of kids rangin from 8-14 years old. It was British blues and San Francisco sound music in the mid to late 60's and then my first adult bike was in college when I bought a Peogeot UO-8.in 1973, which I still ride occasionally and really enjoy the roots effect. It truely was freedom. Added a Fuji to the stable in 1974 and rode that on and off until 2014. My cycling was avid until work interfered. I did some informal track biking, mainly sprints in the gap between college and real work. But I did spent 3 years commuting by bike in downtown Philadelphia, and did a bit of commuting in DC area, where the track bike skills really helped. Slowly work and other pursuits pushed the bike use aside into intermittent use until I retired. I restarted cycling and actually bought my first helmut. Now at 65, I wonder how I ever did the traffic commuting thing and rode without a helmut. I even have a taillight!

I still see young cyclists, but not like before. I also see lots of women cyclists, but more women runners. In my area the traffic is so bad that unless near a Bike trail, road riding can be the last thing you want to do to relax. I also think watching the road and not the small phone screen leads many to withdrawal, so the bikes, if owned, just sit, or are never even considered. There may also be that effects from 'bike elitism' has taken a toll. New riders often speak of condescension when buying and getting the impression that cycling it too complex and expensive..
Old 03-31-19, 09:22 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I was born in 1942. I can see this turning onto a political discussion which I don't want to do but I do not consider either myself or the people of my era worthy of "The Greatest Generation" Those were the WWII GI's. They won the war and then they really did make America great. I was still a baby.
Couldn't agree more. As far as I'm concerned, this need to categorize people by the year of their birth is fantasy spurred by the press and means little to nothing factually.
Old 03-31-19, 09:56 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by dooner90
It's like every guy I see out on my local route is like 5o+ with a USPS shirt on. What Gives? Why are you all so old?

Also, when did you people start cycling? Will my friends ever start, or will they always think this sport is ridiculous?
I think it must have been the music that was popular in the US during the 60s and 70s...
Old 03-31-19, 10:56 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
'50.

I was faster then.
I had one of those early fixies too ! I think I read '58 was the height of the Baby Boom and may still be the year of the most American births. I was early Nov of '57 and of course my baby nickname was Sputnik

sporting the obligatory cowboy outfit

Edit - just looked it up and it looks like '57 was tops -- I win https://www.bbhq.com/bomrstat.htm

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 03-31-19 at 11:05 AM. Reason: new data
Old 04-01-19, 04:51 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Now 53 is old. Guess better put up the bike, hang up the running shoes and find a bingo game. {walks offf muttering something about them dadgum kids**
Old 04-01-19, 05:32 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Born 1959 here. I began my journey as a bike commuter in 3rd grade, riding my Sears Spyder to school regularly in 1967/68. I've been riding since...

Respect your elders.
Old 04-01-19, 05:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts
What do you mean, "You people"?

Old 04-01-19, 08:41 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
It's all pretty artificial marketing categories...however, I was born in 1964, but have a hard time identifying with boomers. I think you had to spend your young adult years in the 60's early 70's to have the real boomer vibe. I grew up more in the 80's and it was totally different. Anyways, been riding since I could balance myself. Rode to elementary school from the first grade on.
Old 04-01-19, 09:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
US Navy 1966 ~1969..
Old 04-01-19, 09:09 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Couldn't agree more. As far as I'm concerned, this need to categorize people by the year of their birth is fantasy spurred by the press and means little to nothing factually.
+1. You can find people of any stripe in any so-called generation.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-01-19, 09:42 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Baby boomer here. I think it was the mass quantities of weed we smoked back in the day. Thats what led to mass quantities of miles on the bike. And all those miles ridden without a helmet. Good times. Now I ride to keep in reasonable shape as I see and hear of friends of the past who have passed. Fire up a bowl and hit the road. And once in awhile take off that silly hemet and feel the breeze. Screw the sunscreen, get a tan.
My first helmet allowed me to feel plenty of breeze.
Old 04-01-19, 10:15 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
On two wheels since 1965.

I get the feeling that the largest group of people on just about any bike forum tend to be older and that makes boomers prominent since they're the biggest chunk of the over 50 population. Of course, I don't frequent BMX, MTB or other forums where more younger riders may hang out,so my personal experience may be stilted.

​​​​​​Us boomer aged cyclists had the advantage in our youth of many more outdoor activities and no virtual / digital activities that younger folks have everywhere now.. However, I kind of blame us for whatever our children / grandchildren do / not do with regard to outdoor physical activities. We hovered over them and worried about their safety, put them on buses or drove them to school, set them in front of the television everywhere and joined them in their digital instead of real-life adventures. It's a different world where some things are better but some things are definitely worse
Old 04-01-19, 10:34 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Now 53 is old. Guess better put up the bike, hang up the running shoes and find a bingo game. {walks offf muttering something about them dadgum kids**

hahahaha !!
Or muttering something about them young whipper snappers.
Old 04-01-19, 11:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
It's all pretty artificial marketing categories...however, I was born in 1964, but have a hard time identifying with boomers. I think you had to spend your young adult years in the 60's early 70's to have the real boomer vibe.

I grew up more in the 80's and it was totally different
. Anyways, been riding since I could balance myself. Rode to elementary school from the first grade on.
Interesting comment @bikecrate. I posted earlier on this thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

Likely because we were in our vigorous 20’s in the 1970’s, and thankfully kept up this beneficial lifestyle. See this thread, "Anyone around during the Bike Boom of the 1970s? Tell me about your story!"
...Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture.

In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston...
...as noted above that while I may have had a predilection to get involved in cycling, the boom was already in progress, and did not necessarily entice me to become one of the small percentage of those who bought bikes at the time to become a life-long cycling devotee.

Actually perhaps a stronger prompt might have been the Aerobics phenomenon (by Dr. Ken Cooper) which I recall preceded the cycling boom in 1968.
That cross-country trip was one one year after Bikecentennial started, I believe the forerunner of Adventure Cycling.

Being in college in the 1970s, I think I perceived of a Bike Boom as a distinctive phenomenon, as cardio excercise became more acceptable / desirable than in the 50’s; e.g.
the Paul Dudley White bikepath named for Dwight Eisenhower's personal cardiologist and an early advocate of exercise for cardiac fitness
. That Boom preceded the mountain bike fad of the1980’s.
Originally Posted by zarbog
1950 born here. I see teenagers out on their Canadian Tire mountain bikes going to school. Drop bar gravel bikes and spandex crowd are mostly young men, and my fellow seniors seem to be mostly on various hybrids with a smaller percentage on drop bar bikes
And now I’Il politely ask you to get that MTB contraption off my lawn.
Old 04-01-19, 08:58 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
It's like every guy I see out on my local route is like 5o+ with a USPS shirt on. What Gives? Why are you all so old?

Also, when did you people start cycling? Will my friends ever start, or will they always think this sport is ridiculous?
I had a long & caustic answer prepared ... I’ll just let it go and say idk, they likely have more disposable income?
Old 04-01-19, 09:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Also, it’s been years since I’ve seen a USPS jersey.
Old 04-02-19, 09:54 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
There's someone trying to sell a US Postal jersey on my local Craigslist right now. Been trying for a year.

I look at it, shake my head and say, "oh, no". It'll never sell...
Old 04-03-19, 12:09 AM
dooner90

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charliekeet

I had a long & caustic answer prepared ...
let me hear it
Old 04-03-19, 05:39 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
let me hear it
Oh, it wasn’t caustic toward you or your original post. I’m not a baby boomer.
Old 04-03-19, 06:22 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,652 Times in 3,485 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Those people are called letter carriers, from back when mail came to a box attached to your house.
Old 04-03-19, 06:46 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
The common generational distinctions make little sense to me. Born in the late 50s, I grew up in the 60s and I think have more in common with those who grew up in the 70s than those who grew up in the 50s.
Old 04-04-19, 06:46 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
60yr old boomer here, and I bought my first lbs bike in 73 when I was 14 with paper route money I'd saved up.

It was a candy apple red Coventry Eagle with low end Campy bits, bit I was 14 and I was riding on a bike with CAMPY!!!!!!

I thought I was the coolest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.