Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the current crop of pedals, best choices for sprinting?

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 04-22-19, 01:25 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I've been running Speedplay Zeros on all of my bikes for years, now considering a pedal/strap setup for sprint practice and events (after hearing about friends crashing out from clipping out).

Is there a secure way to combine the Speedplays with straps?

If not, which pedals do you recommend for using with straps, what is best and why? And which method do you prefer to secure your straps?

Thank you.
Old 04-22-19, 02:38 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Super D
I've been running Speedplay Zeros on all of my bikes for years, now considering a pedal/strap setup for sprint practice and events (after hearing about friends crashing out from clipping out).

Is there a secure way to combine the Speedplays with straps?

If not, which pedals do you recommend for using with straps, what is best and why? And which method do you prefer to secure your straps?

Thank you.
You can buy speedplay strap adapter from a facebook group called “tracksprinting”, but I don’t think a lot of track sprinter uses speedplay. I know HUUB team uses speedplay for aerodynamic benefits, but they use Look Blade for training
Old 04-22-19, 03:11 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I have Speedplay track pedals and have used BLS spindle straps. The straps are fine, though I don’t use them much. They are kind of a hassle. To keep them in place, I used larger rare earth magnets, held to the straps with Gorilla tape.
Old 04-22-19, 03:13 PM
Super D

Originally Posted by gycho77

You can buy speedplay strap adapter from a facebook group called “tracksprinting”, but I don’t think a lot of track sprinter uses speedplay. I know HUUB team uses speedplay for aerodynamic benefits, but they use Look Blade for training

Thank you!!

Old 04-22-19, 07:54 PM
ToddTheBod

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Although not everything the pros do is something that should be copied or repeated by us mere mortals, the large majority of elite sprinters use Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo pedals/cleats. Plenty of elite enduros and pursuiters use Speedplays, though.

Having myself pulled out of Keos whilst using straps (worn cleat) on a start, I think it might be worth considering a separate pedal/cleat system for the track, even if you still like to ride Speedplays on the road.
Old 04-22-19, 11:17 PM
Super D

Originally Posted by ToddTheBod
Although not everything the pros do is something that should be copied or repeated by us mere mortals, the large majority of elite sprinters use Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo pedals/cleats. Plenty of elite enduros and pursuiters use Speedplays, though.

Having myself pulled out of Keos whilst using straps (worn cleat) on a start, I think it might be worth considering a separate pedal/cleat system for the track, even if you still like to ride Speedplays on the road.
I've never pulled out of a Speedplay in road sprinting, not on track so far either; not that it couldn't happen of course. Good idea to have minimally worn cleats if possible for track sprints. I think for me just having the straps as strong backup is smart no matter what the pedal is. I feel kind of stupid not using them when very experienced trackies pull out of their pedals and crash, some getting seriously injured. Why not have an extra measure of safety, right?
Old 04-22-19, 11:18 PM
Super D

Anyone have a preference of BLS straps compared to G-Race?
Old 04-23-19, 03:54 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
NJS straps seem to be making a minor comeback in the pro ranks. I think a couple of the Dutch sprinters are on them.
Old 04-23-19, 05:14 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I've not been terribly impressed with my BLS straps. The quality doesn't seem great - they are showing a lot of wear after one season. The material also is incredibly soft, so they don't sit up on their own well, meaning I have to completely unloop them, clip in, then loop the strap and velcro it. It's not just a matter of tightening them. (This is one of the main reasons I kind of stopped using them.)

Can't speak to G-Race.

Also, I'm currently out of town, but if you want to see picks of my magnet set up, I'll get some this weekend. It's a cheaper solution than the Cruz option, and it doesn't require tools to remove, so if you aren't running straps, you still have both sides of the pedal.
Old 04-23-19, 11:30 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddTheBod

I've only known 1 elite sprinter to use Speedplay pedals...ever. Most use SPD-SL. A much smaller number (like Matt Baranoski) use LOOK KEO MAX 2 (spring, not blade) with straps. I think the French team uses LOOK pedals, with straps.

LOOK KEO (spring and blade) max release tension is maybe half of what you can dial in on SPD-SL. I can pull up (good pedal form) and out of LOOK pedals. If you are strong and use them, use straps.

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
NJS straps seem to be making a minor comeback in the pro ranks. I think a couple of the Dutch sprinters are on them.
NJS straps are the best engineered product for the job. The clasp is a modern marvel. The fact that they stay open as you try to get into them on the boards is awesome. NJS straps don't stretch or disintegrate. BLS (and the like) aren't "more aero". That's just marketing.
Old 04-28-19, 06:39 PM
Super D

Originally Posted by carleton
NJS straps are the best engineered product for the job. The clasp is a modern marvel. The fact that they stay open as you try to get into them on the boards is awesome. NJS straps don't stretch or disintegrate. BLS (and the like) aren't "more aero". That's just marketing.
I see several NJS options, got a pic of what you're referring to? Thank you.
Old 04-29-19, 10:31 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D
I see several NJS options, got a pic of what you're referring to? Thank you.
All "NJS" straps are essentially the same. They are certified by the NJS governing body. NJS has very strict rules and therefore all equipment is darn-near identical so that the outcome of the races is 100% about the rider, not who has the most advanced equipment (that's my understanding of it anyway).

The ones that I've used in the past are Toshi and Kashimax.
Old 05-02-19, 01:47 AM
CXGallery

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard to find now a days, but the Shimano Dura Ace SPD-R (7700) pedals are worth their weight in gold for track cycling.

Last edited by CXGallery; 05-02-19 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 07:33 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CXGallery
Hard to find now a days, but the Shimano Dura Ace SPD-R (7700) pedals are worth their weight in gold for track cycling.
That's why I have 4 sets of pedals and about 10 sets of cleats. Love those pedals. Looking to make a three hole version of the cleat for new shoes.