Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Carriers - Shipping

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 10:57 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bike carrier (hard shell) for shipping a road bike?

A couple of us are planning a bucket list trip next year and it will involve packing and shipping our bikes. I am not talking about the shipping boxes that are available but hard shell bike carriers. I do not trust the boxes and we are looking more at hard shell cases. I really don't want to risk damage to my bike in a cardboard box as opposed to a hard shell case. Yes, I know nothing is bullet proof but a hard shell case will provide more protection than the typical cardboard box type cases in my opinion. I also know they are expensive, but I'd rather spend the extra to feel better about shipping my bike 2,000 miles.

Anyway, all of us who are planning this ride are experienced riders but have never had to travel or ship our bike 2,000 miles. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

john
Old 09-07-18, 11:20 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Hard shells are nice, but they are truly only big empty boxes that never can get any smaller (think storage during and after trip). I've got the plastic version of a collapsible bike box from these guys - https://www.crateworks.com/. Its plenty strong and sturdy to protect your precious steed. But it also folds flat for storage. Standard UPS shipping size. I wouldn't trust an airline with my bike packed in anything unless it was absolutely the only way to get it where it had to go. Contact LBS at your destination and have them accept the shipment. Most will be willing to do so, even if you don't have them reassemble the bike (or maybe you do). You might even be able to talk them into storing your box during your trip and holding it for return shipping when you finish.
Old 09-07-18, 11:49 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
It is going to be very expensive to ship your bike in a case. They are very heavy.
Old 09-07-18, 12:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
We get them in regular bike boxes*,
It's difficult to pack them better than they did at the bike assembly factory,

but @ a Bike Shop, you can get all the packing materials and a box for free. ..

get extras... it is a waste disposal issue , otherwise, for shops.

* On the coast a good number, of bikes get sent ahead ,
and riders fly PDX, & take a Bus Here.
and can ask the bike be ready to ride when they get here..

this time of year taking them apart , boxing and shipping east, is the thing.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-07-18 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 02:46 PM
rutan74

Originally Posted by coupster
Hard shells are nice, but they are truly only big empty boxes that never can get any smaller (think storage during and after trip). I've got the plastic version of a collapsible bike box from these guys - https://www.crateworks.com/. Its plenty strong and sturdy to protect your precious steed. But it also folds flat for storage. Standard UPS shipping size. I wouldn't trust an airline with my bike packed in anything unless it was absolutely the only way to get it where it had to go. Contact LBS at your destination and have them accept the shipment. Most will be willing to do so, even if you don't have them reassemble the bike (or maybe you do). You might even be able to talk them into storing your box during your trip and holding it for return shipping when you finish.

Thanks.

Basically, storage at the event is not a problem because the event home bike shop will store it for nothing. So storage at the event is not a problem. Not worried about collapsible either unless it is a good design. Storage at home for this case is not a problem either. The event is recommending not to box the bike in a cardboard box. No way either am I breaking my bike down to how it was shipped from the Mfg before assembly. I can see taking the handlebars, wheels and pedals off along with the seat, but I'm not looking to rebuild my bike from scratch when I get there. Not going to fly with the bike either. Shipping it UPS or some carrier. Believe it or not, once upon a time I worked for UPS as an unloader and truck packer so I am VERY aware of how packages are ahem, handled.

I will check out your recommendations, thanks again.
Old 09-07-18, 02:48 PM
rutan74

Originally Posted by spinnaker
It is going to be very expensive to ship your bike in a case. They are very heavy.
My bike weighs 17lbs. Some hardshell cases I have seen are like 30lbs, so combined, I am under 50lbs give or take 5lbs. UPS should be able to handle this with no problem. I just need a good case.

john
Old 09-07-18, 05:00 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I've flown between Mexico and Honduras and the states with boxed bikes, more times than i can recall, and never had a problem. I always used regular bike boxes I'd get from the local bike shop, and pack them myself. I would wrap things like shifters in a foam plastic material, and duct tape it up, and protect other parts in various creative ways (extra wrapping around carbon forks, main frame tubes, big chain ring, protruding wheel axles,etc.).
I also would add a sheet of cardboard to the sides for extra protection. Also, I would typically use the whole ensemble as another piece of luggage, figuring if i was paying those chimps an extra $100 for the bike, I might as well get my money's worth.
So, I'd fold up t-shirts and shorts, then wrap them in multiple plastic Wal-mart bags, and strategically place them around the bike, for extra padding and stability. I would also reinforce the outside and corners of the box with clear packing tape (getting pretty close to having the whole thing completely plastic wrapped, because it's not uncommon for a liquid container in someone else's luggage to break or leak, and wet the luggage around it. For this reason, I was also in the habit of wrapping the clothes in my main checked bag with plastic wal-mart or hefty-type bags.)

Last edited by Brocephus; 09-07-18 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 07:16 PM
coupster

Originally Posted by rutan74
Basically, storage at the event is not a problem because the event home bike shop will store it for nothing.
Ok you've got my curiosity up. What's the event?
Old 09-10-18, 11:16 AM
rutan74

Originally Posted by coupster
Ok you've got my curiosity up. What's the event?
The event is Cycle Greater Yellowstone. I've been looking at this event for 5 years and haven't had the chance to pull the trigger until now. 2019 looks like a go at this point and I'll have to register pretty quickly because they sell out really fast. Anyway, I have not been out west and Montana around Yellowstone looks like a fantastic place to cycle a weeks worth of vacation. I am getting up there in age and if I don't get going on these bucket list cycling events, my health could change and it then becomes, "I should have.." type of thing.

2020 might be a real road trip to go and cycle in Italy which would probably be my last chance to try the Stelvio.

john
Old 09-10-18, 11:24 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Within the US have a look at https://www.bikeflights.com.
Old 09-10-18, 11:55 AM
coupster

Originally Posted by rutan74
The event is Cycle Greater Yellowstone.
Looks like a great time and it too has been on my radar for several years. But as you've also found, life doesn't always cooperate. Have a blast.
Old 09-10-18, 01:37 PM
rutan74

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Within the US have a look at https://www.bikeflights.com.

Thanks. I've seen them before. Recommendation from the event promoters is to NOT ship in a box hence the tread stating that I was looking at a hard shell case.

Again, I know my bike came in a box from the Mfg and there are boxes that must work or they would not stay in business long. As I have said, being a long ago UPS loader/unloader, I am aware of the abuse any package takes on a shipping route. Part of me just does not feel good about packing up my bike in a cardboard box and shipping it. I also realize that my hard shell case could be just as easily damaged but for me, I would "feel" a lot better if I was packing up my bike in a hard shell case. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of reviews on hard shell cases and 99% of the people I know, have never shipped their bike across the country.

john
Old 09-11-18, 03:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Go to your LBS and see what they've got available to rent.

I've used a hard shell case a few times as a rental, but never needed to buy one.

Most of the time I've used a cardboard box ... and that's been for a lot of flights!