Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why Does My Seat Post Keep Coming Loose???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 12:43 AM
allout1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Every day I put some medium thread locker on the bolt, tighten the seat post bolt back up, and then in hours it's all loose again. It's insane.

What am I doing wrong?

Last bike I was riding did this too. I don't remember ever having this problems with bikes in my life before.
Old 04-14-19, 06:10 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Hard to determine via remote viewing. Wrong size post? Insufficient torque?
Old 04-14-19, 07:05 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Is the bolt loosening also (you said it's ALL loose again)? If the bolt is loosening, is the bolt threaded all the way to the head of the bolt, or is there a non-threaded portion? If there is a non-threaded portion, maybe it's not threaded far enough up the bolt to allow it to sufficiently tighten. Do you have a collar for the post-if you do, make sure the tabs on the collar aren't touching when tightening. If none of that is the problem, and the post is the correct size, check for any cracks in the seat tube. As JohnD said-hard to tell w/o pics.
Old 04-14-19, 07:12 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Originally Posted by allout1
Every day I put some medium thread locker on the bolt, tighten the seat post bolt back up, and then in hours it's all loose again. It's insane.
Thread moved from General Cycling to Bike Mechanics.
Old 04-14-19, 07:20 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
You should never need thread locker on a seatpost clamp bolt. You have a fundamental problem with either the seatpost size, the condition of the bolt or how you are tightening the clamp bolt.
Old 04-14-19, 07:42 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Yep, first thing you need to check is to see if the seat post is the correct size for your seat tube
Old 04-14-19, 07:51 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

what i do with troublesome bikes is, remove that seat post, panel beat to collar clamp if need be, then bring my box of seat posts out and check them by feel, it shouldn't too loose or too tight when slid in, even if there's a bit of play it's too small i found

once i've selected the right one, the clamp doesn't need to be tightened that much to get a good grip
Old 04-14-19, 09:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
blind guessing

In addition to John's, - Wrong size post? Insufficient torque?,- there is badly machined seat tube bores ....

Update, turns out it's the top end , the head of a $5 seat post...

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-15-19 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 09:26 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts

Is it perhaps a CF post in a CF frame? I have to use a grip paste on my CF frame because the post slips down even with the clamp properly torqued.
Probably because at 6’1” 195 lbs I’m on the heavier side of bicycle riders.

Dan
Old 04-14-19, 11:00 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
I have had seat post slippage but never had the the seat post collar bolt come loose. My current bicycle is the only one that had the slippage problem. A better collar and the assembly grease did not fix it. I purchased a Nitto seat post and a a seat post shim for the diameter difference. This solved the slippage.
Old 04-14-19, 11:43 AM
cambiker71

Bikes: lots, new old and in between!

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
A simple thought, where is the clamps open section in relation to the frame? The open or bolt side of the clamp should be on the same side as the slot cut into the seat tube to allow it to close up. if it's the other way round it won't grip properly and will keep appearing loose.
Old 04-14-19, 11:43 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Post some photos to your Gallery/Album page. Direct rear shot?

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/497031

If the bolt is loosening, then it should be twisting. Determine this by marking the bolt and the frame with a sharpie (both ends?).

Stripped bolt? Stretching?

Lots of good ideas above to check post fitting,and an auxillary clamp to keep the post from sliding down. Also, if the clamp is a separate ring over the seat tube mast, then there are some two bolt rings that you can buy.

I know, playing with fire, but I'm not a big fan of lubing the posts, especially if using like materials together; aluminum (anodized) + aluminum, or Carbon + Carbon.
Old 04-14-19, 02:52 PM
allout1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Is the bolt loosening also (you said it's ALL loose again)? If the bolt is loosening, is the bolt threaded all the way to the head of the bolt, or is there a non-threaded portion? If there is a non-threaded portion, maybe it's not threaded far enough up the bolt to allow it to sufficiently tighten. Do you have a collar for the post-if you do, make sure the tabs on the collar aren't touching when tightening. If none of that is the problem, and the post is the correct size, check for any cracks in the seat tube. As JohnD said-hard to tell w/o pics.
It's really as you would suspect for an older bike. Plain ole bolt with threads top to bottom and a regular nut.

But I thought of the solution while reading your reply. Just run to Home Depot, and grab that kind of nut with the plastic in it to keep it from spinning free. I forget what they are called now. Hehe. And probably put the ole one and the new on on there at the same time. The bolt is long enough. That'll probably do it.

I'll try to get pics on here to make the thread much more "moral to the story" for the next readers.
Old 04-14-19, 11:51 PM
allout1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a simple ole seat bolt and post set up. Every day I have to tighten back down. I didn't get in Home Depot to grab the nut with plastic stop inside today.
Old 04-15-19, 07:05 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Looking at the pics, I think I may have misunderstood the problem. Is it the clamp that holds the seat that is coming loose. I'm guessing it is, from the pics. If that is the case, are the straight portion of the rails in the clamp--looks like the clamp might be too close to the nose of the saddle, and maybe partially on a bend in the seat rails?? The clamp doesn't seem to be sitting "flush" on the seat rails in the pics. If the clamp is spread where it won't tighten on the rails, even if on all straight portion of the rails, you may need another post, as if the clamp has spread, trying to bend it back to where it would tighten may weaken it to where it won't hold good when tightened. Make sure the clamp is on the straight portion of the seat rails only, and not partially on a bend in the rails.
Old 04-15-19, 08:17 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
These types of post/seat clamps are known for their bending under clamping pressures, the lower half of the clamp is just simple stamped steel and it gives under the clamping pressure. Often when loose the seat's movement will cause the clamp's serrations to be worn smooth, further worsening the clamp plate's bending as then even more clamping pressure is needed to keep all stationary. I suspect a replacement clamp set of plates will be needed, but good luck finding any that are not take offs from another post of the same model.

For the cost of a replacement post the problem can be fixed. Hint for future- check the clamp bolt's tightness before it loosens and the clamp will last far longer. Andy
Old 04-15-19, 09:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Its bottomed out and deformed, you should go shopping for a much nicer seat post , many out there

even a basic tubular one with a separate saddle clip will be better ..

Old 04-15-19, 01:49 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Originally Posted by freeranger
Looking at the pics, I think I may have misunderstood the problem. Is it the clamp that holds the seat that is coming loose. I'm guessing it is, from the pics. If that is the case, are the straight portion of the rails in the clamp--looks like the clamp might be too close to the nose of the saddle, and maybe partially on a bend in the seat rails?? The clamp doesn't seem to be sitting "flush" on the seat rails in the pics. If the clamp is spread where it won't tighten on the rails, even if on all straight portion of the rails, you may need another post, as if the clamp has spread, trying to bend it back to where it would tighten may weaken it to where it won't hold good when tightened. Make sure the clamp is on the straight portion of the seat rails only, and not partially on a bend in the rails.
reckon everybody did there Lol
Old 04-19-19, 09:00 PM
allout1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so it's called a lock nut. It's got the nylon donut in it to grab on the bolt, so it don't slip up. I'll try that now. See how it goes.
Old 04-19-19, 09:53 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
The bolt loosening had me scratching my head. As with everyone else I did not know why a bolt would loosen like that. Having had no info worth sharing I did not post until now. When I put a Brooks seat on my Burly tandem the seat would slide back no mater how tight I made the bolt. I solved the problem by shimming the seat rails with cut up pieces of aluminum cans. I also used aluminum shims between the handlebar and stem clamp on my custom chromoly Salsa stem . Neither have slipped or moved in over 29 years.
Old 04-20-19, 12:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

It won't help your Deformed >saddle rail clamps< it's the deformation that is the issue ..

as finally shown in 14 post.. Pictures of removed post upside down,

apparently from the saddle rails moving , with the clamp bottomed out.

not a fan of those seat posts , but fitting an expensive, well mad e, one
is not in the parts pick until bottom line of bike is much higher..

As I mentioned above in all diameters those tubular seat posts are a Good basic component

Put another $35 out and the saddle clip from Brompton the British folding bike company..

called the Pentaclip (5 main parts) is Excellent..

Old 04-22-19, 04:48 AM
allout1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, locknut is not working. Going with the new post and clip this time.
Old 04-22-19, 09:15 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by le mans
reckon everybody did there Lol
Ditto!