Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Best kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 08:58 PM
iTrek

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best kits

Before jacking my back up last year, my favorite Bibs were the Performance (their top of line) in 2XL, Well, performance is no longer around and the Bibs I have are wearing out. My favorite Jerseys were Pearl Izumi select again 2XL which fit perfect. Ordered a couple of their Jerseys since I've started riding again and they are smaller than the old ones I have...but again the olds wearing out.

Any suggestions on options? Who makes larger sizes in nicer stuff (Pearl Izumi or better)
Old 07-09-19, 10:28 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Red White bibs are my favorites. I wear an L and they're true to size. I highly recommend them.

https://www.redwhite.cc/collections/...ated-ascending
Old 07-09-19, 10:59 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Performance still exists online
Old 07-10-19, 01:31 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Love2Pedal has some good stuff at great prices.
Old 07-10-19, 01:30 PM
cisbrane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
This forum told me about TheBlackBibs. They are a no-label off shoot from Starlight. Very affordable, $40!, and have sizing up to 4XL. I have been enjoying these at the moment.
Old 07-10-19, 02:01 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by cisbrane
This forum told me about TheBlackBibs. They are a no-label off shoot from Starlight. Very affordable, $40!, and have sizing up to 4XL. I have been enjoying these at the moment.
Not to thread jack but are they holding up well? I have been doing good with PI but after about 3 seasons they pad just dissolves on me. At 75$ a pair I think they should go longer but that just might be me.
Old 07-10-19, 02:13 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by iTrek
Before jacking my back up last year, my favorite Bibs were the Performance (their top of line) in 2XL, Well, performance is no longer around and the Bibs I have are wearing out. My favorite Jerseys were Pearl Izumi select again 2XL which fit perfect. Ordered a couple of their Jerseys since I've started riding again and they are smaller than the old ones I have...but again the olds wearing out.

Any suggestions on options? Who makes larger sizes in nicer stuff (Pearl Izumi or better)
I swore by the Performance shorts. I have 3 pair and am freaking out about getting a new brand. I have a pair of Pearl's but they rub me the wrong way and cause a nasty saddle sore so I have to over lub up when wearing those. So, I am a bit in your boat.

You can try Aerotecdesigns dot com. I have ordered from them and they have good stuff. I have 3 nice cycling hats, a jersey and just bought a pair of gel shorts. They come with mesh pockets on both sides to the point that you cannot tell they are actually pockets on road shorts. They fit really well and I found the pockets work good for carrying gels or my phone without having to stuff a bunch of stuff in the back of my shirt. Pretty clever design for road shorts meaning they are not mountain shorts i.e. not baggy. So, I wear an XL and they fit really well and so far I am not getting any undo chaffing. Just short rides with them so far. Not ready to take them on a metric century yet. Have to see how they wear for a 35 miler and then move up, but the quality is good and the fit is spot on for XL.

john
Old 07-10-19, 02:36 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Personal preference which is based criteria that is important to you and perceived value.

For me my criteria is quality of materials, fit, and workmanship/construction. Even those are subjective, for example I can't stand jerseys that fit me around the chest but are too long in the front and back (they are not supposed to fit like a t-shirt). When I stuff things into my jersey pockets, I expect them to stay in place and not flop around. Proper fit, construction and support play a huge role here. I also can't stand jerseys that flap around in the wind (sleeves, belly or around the neck) which means they need to conform to the body but not be constrictive at the same time. Bibs need to provide compression in all the right areas and the suspenders must not be so elastic that it doesn't hold everything in place as you are in and out of the saddle or in a riding position. Chammy needs to provide all day comfort but not be so big it feels like you have a diaper between your legs. The stitching is also very important so there is no way to get chafed.

Having said all of that for me, my preference is as follows:

Bibs: Rapha, Eliel
Jerseys: Eliel, Donkey Label, Rapha

Last edited by jadocs; 07-10-19 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-10-19, 03:04 PM
cisbrane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Not to thread jack but are they holding up well? I have been doing good with PI but after about 3 seasons they pad just dissolves on me. At 75$ a pair I think they should go longer but that just might be me.
The Black Bibs have been holding up for me and I think they have good quality. That said, I have only used them through one season so far and only ride occasionally. For the price, it's hard not to at least try them and see if you like them. I have tried both the regular and the plus version with the power band leg opening, and I like them both.
Likes For cisbrane:
Old 07-10-19, 03:10 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by cisbrane
The Black Bibs have been holding up for me and I think they have good quality. That said, I have only used them through one season so far and only ride occasionally. For the price, it's hard not to at least try them and see if you like them. I have tried both the regular and the plus version with the power band leg opening, and I like them both.
thanks....I might have to give them a whirl
Old 07-13-19, 12:25 AM
iTrek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you to everybody who has replied on the shorts/bibs. Looking for Jersey's as well, if theres any input.

Originally Posted by jadocs

Having said all of that for me, my preference is as follows:

Bibs: Rapha, Eliel
Jerseys: Eliel, Donkey Label, Rapha
I'm liking the looks of the ones you mentioned here. Not looking for baggy Jerseys, but as a clydesdale I do need it to be able to fit. Are these race or club fit?
Old 07-13-19, 12:26 AM
iTrek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks to everybody for all the good input.
Old 07-13-19, 03:32 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
The stuff from Love2pedal is actually pretty good and cheap too!
Old 07-14-19, 12:27 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Thanks to everybody for all the good input.
https://www.performancebike.com/bike...-shorts/c15070
Old 07-14-19, 01:23 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
My Performance Elite bib is still nice but recently I've been riding with dhb Aeron bibs from Wiggle. Some people don't like the lower cut front on the Aerons but I do appreciate them because it makes it easier to go #1 . With other bibs, it is a struggle and I'd practically have to strip everything off. Both sets of bibs have silicone leg grippers which don't slip and are less bulky than standard elastic.

For jerseys I've been riding with Primal jerseys from Love2Pedal. They feel better than the Performance jerseys I used to ride with.
Old 07-14-19, 02:52 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Thank you to everybody who has replied on the shorts/bibs. Looking for Jersey's as well, if theres any input.

I'm liking the looks of the ones you mentioned here. Not looking for baggy Jerseys, but as a clydesdale I do need it to be able to fit. Are these race or club fit?
Not a club fit. I wear XL and my chest measurement is 44”