Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The effect of oil on tubes.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-12-19, 10:22 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts

When I moved one of my spare tubes got some oil on it from the chain lube I had in the same storage bin. I went to use it and notice the oily spot seemed to be blistering, but it held air for the time I took me to change the rear tire and has held air since I put it in the front tire. Did the oil cause any damage to the tube?
Old 08-12-19, 01:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Butyl rubber tubes are resistant to most chemicals and at worst will break down very slowly. I wouldn't worry about any typical chain lube affecting it. It's the same material used to make some safety gloves and respirators for handling chemicals.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a bike tire butyl rubber inner tube break down from age or exposure to common chemicals in garages. Tires may eventually degrade from exposure to UV or ozone, but I've never seen an inner tube break down. It's probably happened. But I haven't seen it.
Old 08-12-19, 03:46 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

My sister found an almost new vintage Schwinn at a garage sale a few years ago. It was purchased from the local dealer during the 70's bike boom, riden a few miles and then stored until the owner decided to sell it in a moving sale. I got her new tires and tubes etc for it, and was surprised to see how fresh the stock tubes were. She rode it a few times, and now it's hanging from the ceiling in the garage. I wonder what the next person to work on it will think when they work on it after she sells it years from now.
Old 08-12-19, 05:22 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I wouldn't be able to mentally get past the blistering, especially if I were blistering down a steep hill.

I'd toss it.
Old 08-12-19, 05:48 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6194 Post(s)
Liked 4,193 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Butyl rubber tubes are resistant to most chemicals and at worst will break down very slowly. I wouldn't worry about any typical chain lube affecting it. It's the same material used to make some safety gloves and respirators for handling chemicals.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a bike tire butyl rubber inner tube break down from age or exposure to common chemicals in garages. Tires may eventually degrade from exposure to UV or ozone, but I've never seen an inner tube break down. It's probably happened. But I haven't seen it.
I wouldn’t agree and neither would these guys. Butyl rubber is also called IIR (isobutylene isoprene) and is in column 3. If you go down to the lubricating oils (petroleum) row, you’ll see that it is unsuitable. The fact that chain lube caused blistering speaks volumes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-12-19, 05:58 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
IME, most (?) rubber doesn't react well to extended contact with petroleum based lube products.
Old 08-12-19, 06:41 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
My experience with rubber type materials not suited for oil is that material will fail where the oil has had long contact with it.

Put pressure behind it and that rubber material will finally let go with usually a small hole at first.

I've seen oil soaked rubber hose swell and develop a leak at maybe 15 psi within that hose.
Old 08-13-19, 11:33 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

I guess I'll pick up more tubes then. I have another new one that I'm carrying with as a spare, and didn't want to use the one that got oil on it as a spare in case there were problems. Thanks for the answers.