Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used wheels from Pro's Closet

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-14-19, 07:22 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts

Anyone ordered used wheels from Pro's Closet? At first impression, this seems like a great way to get into a high-end carbon wheelset for the price of aluminum. There's a return policy (30 days, I believe ). Are there any downsides other than cosmetic to be aware of?
Old 05-14-19, 07:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I've ordered a few things from TPC, but not wheels. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to order wheels from them if the price:described condition was commensurate, particularly with disc brake wheels (with rim brake carbon wheels, I might go so far as to limit myself to new or sales floor models, but that's just me).
Old 05-14-19, 07:54 PM
Robert A

They have a fair number of Zipp 303 and 404 rim brake wheels. Are there nuances to these wheels that I should know about? For example, did Zipp redesign the wheels (thus making the used ones older, less desirable models)?

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've ordered a few things from TPC, but not wheels. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to order wheels from them if the price:described condition was commensurate, particularly with disc brake wheels (with rim brake carbon wheels, I might go so far as to limit myself to new or sales floor models, but that's just me).
Old 05-14-19, 08:06 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Robert A
They have a fair number of Zipp 303 and 404 rim brake wheels. Are there nuances to these wheels that I should know about? For example, did Zipp redesign the wheels (thus making the used ones older, less desirable models)?
Couldn't tell you. Dimples, Firecrest, etc - don't know what the timeline was for those changes nor how significant those changes were.

Oh, one thing to be careful of - a good number of screaming wheelset deals at TPC are tubulars; that would make for one hell of a disappointing unboxing if you accidentally bought them.
Old 05-15-19, 10:10 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I got some mavic carbone SL from them for $500 about two yrs ago. Beat the hell out of them used wheels. Good people and fast shipping. Good detailed enough photos so you have an idea of the condition of the set.

Zipps are tricky, look at the hubs color ways, make sure you get 11speed stuff, most there problem/recalls were around the 10spd silver hubs if I remember correctly.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-15-19, 10:14 AM
Robert A

Well here's the thing. It seems like I can get quality used carbon wheels for around $800 - $1200 with known brands like Enve, Zipp or HED. Or I can spend close to the same amount for new carbon wheels from Light Bicycle. I have not done complete research on the whole topic of wheels generally, but I've been following the thread about Light Bicycle.
Old 05-15-19, 10:21 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Well here's the thing. It seems like I can get quality used carbon wheels for around $800 - $1200 with known brands like Enve, Zipp or HED. Or I can spend close to the same amount for new carbon wheels from Light Bicycle. I have not done complete research on the whole topic of wheels generally, but I've been following the thread about Light Bicycle.
Take a look at the Boyd offerings. I just traded in a 5+yr old set of their 50/58's no longer offered on a set of 60's. Zero problems must have 40+K mi.
Likes For popeye:
Old 05-15-19, 10:25 AM
Robert A

Good suggestion. But my question is really about higher-end used vs. lower-cost new. Is there a quality difference with the higher-end products even though they're used?

Originally Posted by popeye
Take a look at the Boyd offerings. I just traded in a 5+yr old set of their 50/58's no longer offered on a set of 60's. Zero problems must have 40+K mi.
Old 05-15-19, 10:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Enve wheels come with a 5 year warranty, and have a reputation for toughness. That warranty is almost certainly for the first owner only.

Older Zipps have had trouble with hubs. I don't know enough about this to be very useful, but if you go with Zipp wheels do your homework.

I wouldn't buy used rim brake wheels, but everybody is different in their tolerance for risk.
Old 05-15-19, 10:59 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
We have officially gotten into the used wheel market ourselves. We are buying used wheels, inspecting them and tension/true, certifying them and selling. We are working out the details - like we want to offer a 1 year "anything happens" and you get 1/2 credit towards another set including wrecking them, etc. We realized we spend half out time anymore working on older wheels - replacing rims, bearings, re-building, etc so it just made sense.

We registered the domain but I am working on a revision of our main site first but if you are in the market to sell sets it doesn't hurt to hit us up. I keep buying used and then sell them too quickly.

Old 05-15-19, 12:49 PM
Robert A

Why is there risk with older rim brake wheels?
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Enve wheels come with a 5 year warranty, and have a reputation for toughness. That warranty is almost certainly for the first owner only.

Older Zipps have had trouble with hubs. I don't know enough about this to be very useful, but if you go with Zipp wheels do your homework.

I wouldn't buy used rim brake wheels, but everybody is different in their tolerance for risk.
Old 05-15-19, 12:52 PM
WhyFi

Because the rims are a wear items?
Old 05-15-19, 12:55 PM
Robert A

But how is that risk? Is there an increased chance of unexpected failure?
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Because the rims are a wear items?
Old 05-15-19, 03:06 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
thinned braking surface equal more heat in that area, transfers to tubes and kaboom on decents. I've seen/heard bead blow out on carbon wheel on STEEP fast decents.

I was looking at those Zipps on their site last week and some local zipp 404 that ended up silver hub 10spd. In the end I ordered new wheels from Reynolds for 1300 shipped. a hundred more but I'll get a warranty and new brake surface to dig into. Lifetime warranty w/ Reynolds
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-15-19, 03:19 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
In late December 2015 or early January 2016 I bought a Powertap Amp G3 35/35 wheelset from them. They eBay ad said "raced 1 season." I still have those wheels and aftet 5000+ miles the brake track is just starting to show the slightest bit of wear.

The wheels were around $2200 new, I got 'em for $1000 at the time. The front hub is just starting to make the slightest audible bearing noise but spins true & long.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. They were new as far as I could tell.
Old 05-15-19, 03:52 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Two years go, I bought a set of Campagnolo wheels (Shimano 105 hubs) for a build. They were well in spec, as advertised. Prior to installation, I took them to my LBS for a truing, and was told, they are in great shape. Didn't even charge me, for checking. I've put over 500 miles on them. I won't think twice, about buying used wheels again from Pros Closet. KB.
Old 05-15-19, 04:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I've dealt with TPC several times on E-Bay, generally with good luck, but never directly through their website.

They do try to describe their wheel sets as well as possible. But, they seem to like to check the wheels on a truing stand without doing significant maintenance.

Yep, a bunch of models. Older ones were smooth. Newer ones have golf ball bumps.

I think the newer ones are also listed as "Firecrest®"

I can't say there are huge differences from one model to another. Spoke Count? Silver hubs & Spokes?

Somewhere around 10 years ago, there was a big shift from 10s to 11s. Just make sure what you get is compatible with your bike.

Zipp's disc wheels are very narrow, and in theory, one can get a cassette that will overhang to the inside side of the freehub without problems. There are specific 11s conversion cassettes you can buy, or make.

Obviously, also be aware of Tubular vs Clincher wheels.

Brake Track wear, of course, is the issue with older rim brakes. One should see it with careful inspection of aluminum brake tracks (and hopefully TPC will list it as part of their ad, and supply photos of the brake track for you to inspect).

It may be more complex of an issue with carbon brake tracks, where it may be more difficult to detect minor wear. Obviously be very careful if a rim has heavy wear.

In many cases, carbon rims are getting sold to second owners with almost no wear (used for race only), even 10 year old wheels.

Obviously be careful of holes and damage with Carbon wheels, although disc wheels may be able to suffer some damage, and still be usable.
Old 05-15-19, 07:18 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I purchased a Zipp disc, a wheel case and a DA2 frame from PC. All exactly as represented.
Old 05-15-19, 07:23 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
FWIW - my fave braking in CLEAN situations is rim brakes on smooth carbon rims. "They" started messing with the surface for those few that use rim brakes in the rain. ENVE does serrated and it iis not good. Others have a bruised brake track. I have alloy on some and that is a good compromise. I do disc on rear of the tandem, a cx and MTB bike, but disc - is not like a good clean rim brake (the rim is the disc).