Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone hear from STAPFAM these days??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone hear from STAPFAM these days??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 04:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This is a great thread.
I replied with a LIKE to this thread, not for the content, but the opinion.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...My own particular, self-appointed contribution to this Forum, other than posting, is to participate in and contribute to the "Chronicles of the Annual Fifty-Plus Rides".
As another touchstone to the past, in honor of the OP of this thread, @jpp3 , I posted when I met him in Boston at the end of his cross-country ride:
It was one of my most pleasant cycling days in 40 years of cycling, to ride with jppe, and to direct his wife in the van to various locations and ultimately the Atlantic Ocean....

We mapped out a route to include a few historic sites that Jeri could meet us at by car. We stopped at the Walter Gropius home, a national historic architectural landmark; rode by Walden Pond; and lingered at the old North Bridge in Concord, site of the Battle of Concord on the first day of the Revolutionary War.

The day was as perfect as the pictures portray. I hope I didn’t embarrass jp to all the people I told of his exploit including those who took our pictures, but he graciously chatted with all of them.

I mentioned to him that on a Fifth Annual 50+ Ride, we visited the bridge, and I was delighted to hear that he had participated in the very first Annual 50+ Ride in Colorado (I had ridden on five, beginning with #2).
Old 04-29-19, 07:41 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I'm still cycling but switched to a recumbent trike a couple of years ago. A childhood back injury, a year of successfully fighting breast cancer, and old age finally caught up with me. I still have the uprights and ride them for short distances but everything else is done on the Catrike. I even installed an electric assist on it so I can continue to ride hills and longer distances.

Most riding is done with the Dayton Cycling Club and other rides in the area.
So what are you doing this weekend? Mrs. Grouch and I are headed to Xenia for the annual spring recumbent rally. It would be cool to see you there.
Old 04-29-19, 11:58 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Beverly,
Thanks for replying, I had a feeling you might Prairie-Dog, if I gave you a mention. I remembered that you had told me you were spending time with grandchildren, and that you had your battle with cancer a few years back. I'm certain your club considers you a cyclist emeritus member, its a well earned place.

Now if I can summon up @stapfam, my job here will be complete. Any chance you have a lead on @Tom Bombadil?

Bill
Thanks for remembering me and I do hope Stapfam decides to make an appearance.

The two youngest granddaughters (high school age) are keeping me busy with their volleyball and marching band activities.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-29-19, 12:14 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So what are you doing this weekend? Mrs. Grouch and I are headed to Xenia for the annual spring recumbent rally. It would be cool to see you there.
I would love to see you and Mrs. Grouch.

I plan to attend the rally on Sunday as I lead a bike ride on Friday morning out of Brookville and Saturday morning I'm volunteering with a marching band activity for my granddaughter.

Rtool (Richard) will be riding, too. I'm not sure John will make it as he recently had surgery on his hand and is still recovering. I'll be driving a 2018 dark gray Pacifica (my new bike hauler) with license plates "GOBKE". I'm not sure how far I can ride as I've had problems with back and sciatica problems in my left leg. I've been working with my doctor, water aerobics classes, and yoga to help the situation. It's improving, but it's been slow. Way too slow for me, but I guess I have to be patient. My last attempt a couple of weeks ago resulted in cutting my ride to less than five miles.

See you Sunday!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-29-19, 12:30 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi @Beverly ,

Dittoes to the above. I hope you recall that we met on the Fifty-Plus Second Annual Ride in Watkins Glen. Was @rtool there too, or was he mis-named by me as “Bob? I met him (again) at the Third Annual Ride in Chelsea, MI, and when he came to Boston for the Sixth. After hearing about GOBA, I have a stated yearning to do it, butAlso they have ended the organized Motel option, instead leaving riders on their own to make arrangements, seemingly a complicated logistical task for the unfamiliar. and I stayed in a motel in Watkins Glen.

Finally, Beverly you might find this thread amusing, to which I posted: Sincerely,

Jim
I do remember meeting you at Watkins Glen and "Bob" would be Rtool. Rtool, John and I have been riding together for several years. The other member in our group that year was Louis. We stopped and picked him up in Northwest Ohio on our way. His wife passed away a few years ago and I haven't kept in touch. I haven't seen him post here for quite some time. Maybe he'll pop in, too.

Watkins Glen was my second 50+ event. I did the original meet-up in Colorado and loved it. It would be nice to see more of these meet-ups.

Quite a few changes have been made to the GOBA event since they changed directors a few years ago. I stayed with the organization in the first year of changes but decided to leave the following year. I can't say that the changes were the only reason for leaving, but they were a major influence in my decision. The other was my two high school granddaughters who needed some Grandma support during their high school years.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-29-19, 03:06 PM
Jim from Boston

I do remember meeting you at Watkins Glen and "Bob" would be Rtool. Rtool, John and I have been riding together for several years. The other member in our group that year was Louis. We stopped and picked him up in Northwest Ohio on our way. His wife passed away a few years ago and I haven't kept in touch. I haven't seen him post here for quite some time. Maybe he'll pop in, too.

Watkins Glen was my second 50+ event. I did the original meet-up in Colorado and loved it. It would be nice to see more of these meet-ups.

Quite a few changes have been made to the GOBA event since they changed directors a few years ago…
Thanks for your reply Beverly. I do remember Louis well. Though my comments about him were brief, we had a lot of fun.
…I enjoyed chatting with Louis, Ken Brown and his friend Wayne about our touring experiences, especially since I have not toured in over twenty years.
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Louis, you be sure to behave yourself and don't try to distract Bev while she's driving!
Originally Posted by Louis
It's gonna be a struggle, but I'll try.
…Traveling up to Finger Lakes was a blast because of the endless supply of witticism bouncing around inside Bev's car...or as she refers to it "the bike hauler". With Dick and John in the car, the pressure on me to make wisecracks was much less; those guys are professionals.

Between the three of us, Bev's sanity was in great danger. Trooper that she is however, and with the guidance of the "Tin Lady" better known as GPS, she managed to get us to our destination in relatively sane condition. (John and Dick have a much better name for the GPS lady - the initials are b.i.t.b, but this is a family forum….

I have to say, the 50+er who won the "Louis' Man After My Own Heart" award was Jim From Boston. Anyone who would carry a portable martini bar all the way to Finger Lakes is a friend of mine. Somehow, although we did get a chance to chat, we ended up doing separate rides. Next time Jim.
I had hoped to meet him the next year at the Third Annual Ride in Michigan, but he did post he couldn’t go.

Sometime afterwards I was perusing Bike Forums:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
Happy belated birthday greetings [to Louis]. For those who haven't met him, he looks much better than his profile picture.
Same from me; I've been away from the Internet for a few days. I've also had the opportunity to meet Louis and he is a congenial and genuinely nice guy, and his avatar does capture his gentle nature.

A few months ago though, he changed the picture to the sinister and nasty-looking "Soup Nazi" character from Seinfield with the iconic tagline, "No soup for you."

I was on Bikeforums reading a post from him and my wife passed by. She then chided me and asked what kind of information I was posting. She said "Look at that guy (Louis' new avatar); he could be a drug dealer!"

I would love to see you and Mrs. Grouch.

I plan to attend the rally on Sunday as I lead a bike ride on Friday morning out of Brookville and Saturday morning I'm volunteering with a marching band activity for my granddaughter.

Rtool (Richard) will be riding, too. I'm not sure John will make it as he recently had surgery on his hand and is still recovering.
Give them my regards, and Louis too if you see him again.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-29-19 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 04-29-19, 04:05 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't been on this forum for years, and now I have been quoted. The names bring back great memories from the Watkin's Glen event.
Old 04-29-19, 04:21 PM
Jim from Boston

I haven't been on this forum for years, and now I have been quoted. The names bring back great memories from the Watkin's Glen event.
A pleasant surprise. This was your report:
Great reports everyone! I am now back home following rides along the Erie Canal.

I learned some things from reading these reports. I obviously should have spent Saturday night at the dining hall rather than the campsite. I heard a lot of cheers but I thought it was just the hula hoop competition. Much more happening than I thought, including Jim's martinis.

Speaking of Jim from Boston, he looked terrible when he walked into the dining hall. His helmet looked like it was glued on and he appeared to have been in battle. I felt terrible following my 33-mile ride in that humid weather, and I can't imaging how anyone 50+ could do 82, including those horrible hills. Forum member Ed (I already forget his forum name) also did 85+.

The best part was meeting everyone. They were all wonderful!
Originally Posted by groth
Folks -

Here is a photo album (not 50+ specific) of the recent GFLBT.

It was good to meet a few of you and have faces to go with avatars and screen names!

- Ed
Ed Groth! Sorry I forgot your name. That was an awesome ride you (and Jim from Boston) did.
Thanks for your description.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-29-19 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 04:49 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A pleasant surprise. This was your report:Thanks for your description.
Old 04-30-19, 11:22 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Either quoting a member, or using a "Mention" with the "@" character ahead of their screen name is flushing the, Once Forgotten members out of their holes. Good to see you posting in response @Ken Brown.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-30-19, 12:35 PM
Jim from Boston

Either quoting a member, or using a "Mention" with the "@" character ahead of their screen name is flushing the, Once Forgotten members out of their holes. Good to see you posting in response @Ken Brown.

Bill
Good point...Calling @Louis , even though he was quoted above
Old 04-30-19, 12:43 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have been hiding, but still cycling. Has the lovely @miss kenton been around?
Old 04-30-19, 03:30 PM
Jim from Boston

Yes, I have been hiding, but still cycling. Has the lovely @miss kenton been around?
50+ the way that it used to be.

What has captivated me most about Fifty-Plus beside the general milieu are (were) the Annual rides begun in 2010 up though last year. I have ridden in five of them, and have compiled the personal narratives of all the Rides on the thread, "A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides".

I myself think this so-called "way it used to be" ended with the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee. BTW, billydonn was on that one.

Another change IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days. Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person. I considered Miss K the doyenne of the Forum with her savvy and witty posts...
Hi Ken,

As noted above, there had been a few Fifty-Plus Annual Rides since that Second one in 2010. @miss kenton, and her husband, Mr. Miss Kenton participated in the Fifth Annual in Boston, in 2013, and the Seventh in Raystown Lake PA in 2015.

If you follow the link in A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides cited above, you can read her posts from those Rides.

Hey, BTW, in the spirit of the memorable words of the Blues Brothers, "We're putting the Band back together," would anyone be interested in a 50++ ride this summer, e.g. in Boston or elsewhere?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-30-19 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added BTW
Old 04-30-19, 05:48 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Ken,
Monica and I were fortunate to meet @miss kenton, and Mr. MissK, when their son received his USAF navigator wings, here at NAS Pensacola. We met them for dinner in Pensacola and also got to meet their son and daughter-in-law. He went up to his first assignment, in the EC-130, as a navigator. she posted a few times after that, but we haven't heard from her in a while, Perhaps seeing these mentions will get a prairie dawg from her.

Bill

Old 04-30-19, 05:50 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Hi Ken, snip...Hey, BTW, in the spirit of the memorable words of the Blues Brothers, "We're putting the Band back together," would anyone be interested in a 50++ ride this summer, e.g. in Boston or elsewhere?
I'm up for one, just point me in the right direction please.

Bill

Old 05-02-19, 02:01 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ken,
Monica and I were fortunate to meet @miss kenton, and Mr. MissK, when their son received his USAF navigator wings, here at NAS Pensacola. We met them for dinner in Pensacola and also got to meet their son and daughter-in-law. He went up to his first assignment, in the EC-130, as a navigator. she posted a few times after that, but we haven't heard from her in a while, Perhaps seeing these mentions will get a prairie dawg from her.

Bill
Thanks, I met her at the event in Watkins Glen.
Old 05-02-19, 05:49 PM
Jim from Boston

Yes, I have been hiding, but still cycling. Has the lovely @miss kenton been around
50+ the way that it used to be

...Another change IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days. Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person.

I considered Miss K the doyenne of the Forum with her savvy and witty posts.
Thanks, I met her at the event in Watkins Glen.
@miss kenton and The Mister, on the Boston 2013 Annual Fifty-Plus Ride; I'm in the yellow vest, and @irwin7638 is on the far right:

Old 05-03-19, 04:26 PM
Louis

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Hey! I see someone has been rattling my cage.
Old 05-03-19, 05:03 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Yet another Prairie Dawg sticks its head up! What a blast from the past seeing so many folks from the old days. How's things going @Louis?

Bill

Old 05-04-19, 03:15 AM
Jim from Boston

...Calling @Louis , even though he was quoted above.
Knock, knock...Who's there?...Jim...Jim who?...Jim from Boston.

Hi @Louis, so nice to read from you again. I hope you read my earlier posts on this thread reminiscing about our times on that Watkins Glen Weekend. ("We'll always have Watkins Glen...")

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-04-19 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-04-19, 10:05 AM
Jim from Boston

...Hey, BTW, in the spirit of the memorable words of the Blues Brothers, "We're putting the Band back together," would anyone be interested in a 50++ ride this summer, e.g. in Boston or elsewhere?
I'm up for one, just point me in the right direction please.

Bill
Hi Bill,

The concept of a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride began with the first in 2009 prompted by @DnvrFox and a gathering of 50+ cyclists in Colorado to ride various routes. @tsl suggested Watkins Glen for a second one. IMO that boosted the idea for subsequent Rides. Watkins Glen was an organized weekend event held at a campground, so we were all together to socialize and ride supported routes.

Subsequently, a Fifty-Plus subscriber would start a thread, and various others would make their suggestions for geographically varied events. Usually one site emerged as the One. Many more subscribers expressed interest than eventually showed up.

Furthermore, we all stayed at different locations by our own arrangements, but tried to meet up socially before or after the Ride, all as described in Chronicles of the Annual 50+ Rides (link). The one at Raystown Lake PA, 2015 though was similar to Watkins Glen, a weekend event with lodging at a defined site.

Perhaps later this year I, or someone else may get the ball rolling on the Fifty-Plus Forum as described above. IMO an Organized Ride, sponsored by a local cycling organization is the sine qua non for such a Ride, providing the definition, logistical support, and assumption of liability.

For myself, I have traveled hundreds of miles to a few of the Annual Rides, so I am always glad to call for one here in New England at least, especially Metro Boston. One event this year that comes to mind, on Sunday September 15, suitable for a wide range of cycling abilities is the 15th Annual Hub on Wheels.

Friday and Saturday would be suitable for visiting Boston and socializing.
Originally Posted by miss kenton
...Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated. I would highly recommend a visit to Boston to anyone. What a beautiful city--and if you are lucky enough to have someone as conscientious, thoughtful, and generous as Jim from Boston guiding you through that trip, you'll have it made!

We were able to see some really interesting things in Boston, and Boston has a great deal to offer. We were only there for the weekend, but I wish we had had more time to see the city.
Originally Posted by irwin7638
…I don't want to be redundant since Jim and Diane provided such great details, but Jim was an exceptionally gracious host and the Kentons were a real pleasure to ride and "hang" with.

I loved Bahstahn a bunch, one cannot really call it a college town, it is the college town and consequently has become very bike friendly. I was really impressed with the bike infrastructure developed in the town and the overall safety of the city.
Originally Posted by TheMister
I want to thank Jim for a most enjoyable tour of Boston and vicinity! Miss Kenton and I had a blast!...
Originally Posted by missjean
It was so nice to meet Jim, Diane and her husband! A big thank you to you Jim for organizing, being tour guide and your generous hospitality.
Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston). Arrived Friday afternoon and we took off for a ride around the city...

Jim is quite the tour leader. Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history. We also ate extremely well. Everything from fresh fish to Italian, and ending Sunday evening at a Thai restaurant. All-in-all it was a great weekend...
I often tout Boston as the epitome of LCF/LCL in America, not to brag, but illustrate the possibilities
My own personal rewards:
…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF [include]:

• the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
... All my visitors have a great time here. Not to brag, but e.g…

I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or bikes], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, all the ones which made it out alive ...
Besides meeting these E-acquaintances face-to-face, it is also much fun to meet them as residents of Bike Forums and especially Fifty Plus. None of my own personal circle know much of the Forums whereas those attending the Annual Rides are now face-to-face acquaintances and also know the other personalities on the Forums.

So we now as face-to-face friends could chat about those other subscribers and their personalities as we perceive the personae they project on the Forums, making you all more “real” than I alone would imagine.

I found these conversations that we five had about our neighbors in Fifty-Plus particularly interesting in light of the recent contentious and now-closed threads about Face to Face vs Internet Forum Communications.
Remember Marc [@irwin7638 ], what happens in Boston, stays in Boston.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-04-19 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-04-19, 02:15 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Good to hear from you Louis
Old 05-04-19, 02:55 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Hi Bill,

The concept of a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride began with the first in 2009 prompted by @DnvrFox and a gathering of 50+ cyclists in Colorado to ride various routes. @tsl suggested Watkins Glen for a second one. IMO that boosted the idea for subsequent Rides. Watkins Glen was an organized weekend event held at a campground, so we were all together to socialize and ride supported routes.

Subsequently, a Fifty-Plus subscriber would start a thread, and various others would make their suggestions for geographically varied events. Usually one site emerged as the One. Many more subscribers expressed interest than eventually showed up.

Furthermore, we all stayed at different locations by our own arrangements, but tried to meet up socially before or after the Ride, all as described in Chronicles of the Annual 50+ Rides (link). The one at Raystown Lake PA, 2015 though was similar to Watkins Glen, a weekend event with lodging at a defined site.

Perhaps later this year I, or someone else may get the ball rolling on the Fifty-Plus Forum as described above. IMO an Organized Ride, sponsored by a local cycling organization is the sine qua non for such a Ride, providing the definition, logistical support, and assumption of liability.

For myself, I have traveled hundreds of miles to a few of the Annual Rides, so I am always glad to call for one here in New England at least, especially Metro Boston. One event this year that comes to mind, on Sunday September 15, suitable for a wide range of cycling abilities is the 15th Annual Hub on Wheels.

Friday and Saturday would be suitable for visiting Boston and socializing. My own personal rewards:
I worked with Denver on the first group ride, shortly after joining here. Never had the opportunity to make any of the group rides due to work and financial matters. When I had the pleasure of riding with you, and Jim and Sharon Muller, it was while visiting our son and daughter-in-law, up in Hew Hampshire. Unfortunately, I will not fly with a bicycle any longer, American Airlines screwed me over twice on that trip and I won't get taken again by an airline, ever. I'll drive to where ever a ride is held, within physical limitations, gladly. The ride in itself was fantastic, as were all the folks participating. Even though your ride was cut short, it was nice talking with you before the start. Hopefully, one will be put together shortly.

Bill

Old 05-04-19, 03:24 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Speaking of names that have been out of the loop for a while, has 10 Wheels been around lately?
Old 05-04-19, 04:04 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
@10wheels, how are you doing these days?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.