Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trail Riding on Logging Roads

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trail Riding on Logging Roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 11:53 AM
VNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

The kind of logging roads that I know up in North Western Oregon, Cannon Beach, will have crushed packed rocks of various sizes. Emphasis on sizes and that is why a full suspension bike is the best to have as much traction as possible--without back suspension the wheel will have a tendency to hop and therefore loose traction particularly on steep grades. Actually one of the road I like going up is called "Rock Crusher" and it is steep (18/20 degrees) with relatively small rocks.

Trees take about 30 years before they are logged/harvested and therefore the logging roads may not be in their best shape in areas where the trees are growing. They quarry rocks and lay and packed them on the roads, for obvious reason mud is not good for logging trucks.

It is great fun and you are away from cars, actually you may get far away from civilization, phone coverage and therefore help--so be well prepared.

The very few truckers that I have encountered have always been very nice and somewhat amazed a guy of my age being so far up, whenever I ear one I always stop and let him go because they are working. But they are rare and you learn quickly which area they are working. I don't use that bike any more (Klein) because I have a full suspended one (BMC)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CB1a.jpg (88.3 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg
CannonBeach1.jpg (101.2 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by VNA; 12-09-14 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 02:35 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
watch out for some big divets - leaves hide stuff that breaks stuff. also, woman running alone in the woods? seriously?
Old 12-09-14, 10:28 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Great choice on the bike. I was going to recommend a Motobecane Fatbike:

Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 2014 Fantom FB4 Comp

A friend got one and he loves it.

FWIW your thread title confused me...how do you go trail riding on roads?
Old 12-10-14, 12:35 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I ride on logging roads a lot, both on a tandem and on a single (half-bike in the tandem world). You generally don't need suspension; I have never used it in all the years and tens of thousands of miles on logging roads. On our tandem we use 26" wheels with 1.75" tires, simple treaded road tire. We rarely encounter situations where we need more than that. If you're encountering a lot of mud, particularly the coastal clay variety, you may have to go to an off-road tire. (We ride 23 miles to the first gravel, so we prefer something that also rolls well on asphalt.)

On my half-bike, I generally roll a 700X28 tire, but life is better with something a bit wider. I ride a simple thirty-two-year old touring bike that I've put so many miles on that it seems like part of my body.

Logging roads are really the best place to ride. Generally peaceful, decent scenery, often next to rivers and creeks with lots of interesting climbs. You'll have a great time.
Old 12-10-14, 08:46 AM
TerraCottaGamer

Bikes: 2014 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey - I bought the same exact ride just a few days ago and absolutely love it. Congrats
Old 12-10-14, 10:49 AM
SultanWa

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone! I am still waiting for my bike yet it should be in by the weekend! Last night I made it to REI for a helmet and gloves.

So much more to get!
Old 12-10-14, 12:04 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
cool, which helmet?
Old 12-10-14, 08:45 PM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Bell Indy. It was only $30. I still need to get shoes, lights, fenders and a new seat. Any advice on those would be more than welcomed!
Old 12-11-14, 02:33 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do you need a new seat?
Old 12-11-14, 08:23 PM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like a new seat because the stock is very hard.
Old 12-12-14, 03:06 AM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been lucky and have been able to use stock seats on all my bikes, but first i would suggest trying your new seat with good riding shorts. It takes awhile to build up mileage on any seat. Then you will know for sure and have a starting point.As for being hard the seat is designed that way for longer rides. Its is hard to believe but in the long haul it is more comfortable.Also you can slide on the saddle for different "mountain terrain" positions.Also i would talk to the shop you bought the bike from and see if they can make a exchange if you think you need a different one.
Old 12-12-14, 11:03 AM
VNA

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
. . . If you're encountering a lot of mud, particularly the coastal clay variety, you may have to go to an off-road tire. (We ride 23 miles to the first gravel, so we prefer something that also rolls well on asphalt.). . .
If you encounter mud you are not on logging roads anymore--mud and trucks don't mix particularly loaded. That is why logging roads are tightly packed with crushed rocks and it is not gravel, those rocks are substantial in size and that is why a suspended bike is definitely a plus. I have seen rangers or surveyors doing their rounds on motocross bikes (lots of suspension) apparently better then using a pickup. All I am trying to convey is those roads are meant for big tires and a lots of weight--not for speed or comfort like a freeway!
Old 12-14-14, 02:03 PM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I got to do my first ride today. AWESOMENESS! It is a rare sunny day in the PNW and the ride was great......except for the seat. Ouch!

I will get a picture up very soon!
Old 12-14-14, 03:33 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...classic-saddle I do not have this saddle,but my wife has the womens version and likes it. The reviews are very good for the mens saddle. The price is also good.
Old 12-14-14, 05:08 PM
VNA

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SultanWa
So I got to do my first ride today. AWESOMENESS! It is a rare sunny day in the PNW and the ride was great......except for the seat. Ouch!

I will get a picture up very soon!
Good for you and the weather, you may have to get your rear end use to a bicycle seat, (softer is not better) I can see you are having nice weather from here: Cannon Beach Webcam - Cannon Beach Conference Center
If you ever go there the hills/mountains (Onion Peaks) have plenty of those logging roads with gorgeous vistas, and actually you can see where they harvest the trees from the beach.

Enjoy!
Old 12-20-14, 05:21 PM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I got my wife a bike today! It will be her Christmas gift, Talon 27.5 3 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

And yes she did go with me to pick it out:-)
Old 12-20-14, 05:30 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Very nice bicycle, a good choice for what you say your riding is like. My wife has a similar set up on her bicycle, a 2008 Trek 7300. No disk brakes but she likes the set up, just kind of heavy for what she was used to from her road bicycle days. A seat swap is the only change she did. Post some pics of her and the new wheels when you get the chance.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-20-14, 08:38 PM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
If you encounter mud you are not on logging roads anymore--mud and trucks don't mix particularly loaded. That is why logging roads are tightly packed with crushed rocks and it is not gravel, those rocks are substantial in size and that is why a suspended bike is definitely a plus. I have seen rangers or surveyors doing their rounds on motocross bikes (lots of suspension) apparently better then using a pickup. All I am trying to convey is those roads are meant for big tires and a lots of weight--not for speed or comfort like a freeway!
Coastal forest roads come in a variety of conditions, as I'm sure your well aware of. The primary roads are maintained for heavy hauling, and packed with gravel both large and small. But there are also older logging roads abandoned and left for ruin that can still be ridden. You can expect to find dirt and mud on these older roads. I'll bet your full squish bike works great on all these surfaces.

Last edited by GFish; 12-21-14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 08:56 PM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
29er hardtail is perfect for your type of riding. Full suspension is overkill for the sorts of logging/forest trails you describe, unless you fancy trying out rougher ground.

Go for a bike with the best suspension fork you can afford. Don't worry too much about brand as most well known makes are much the same quality at relatively similar price ranges - it's just a matter of personal taste rather than objectivity. Disc brakes are good, whether hydraulic or mechanical. Personally I've never had any problem with V- brakes, but I also have had disc brakes and I can see the benefits in very wet, muddy conditions.
A friend from work is a serious MTB'r, he said he and his ridding buddies still prefer the 26" and 27.5" MTB bike over the 29". Said the 29" felt awkward and cumbersome on the hills and trails they ride every week.

Disc brakes are a must around here with all the down hill descents, wet weather and mud.
Old 12-21-14, 04:51 AM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is what i have heard also Gfish.But on gravel and logging roads the 29er would be better. But on tight single track, serious mt.bikers use 26.From what i can tell.
Old 12-21-14, 09:19 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
That is what i have heard also Gfish.But on gravel and logging roads the 29er would be better. But on tight single track, serious mt.bikers use 26.From what i can tell.
Plenty of serious MTBers are riding 29ers on tight singletrack. 650B (or the misnomer 27.5) has all but replaced 26" on all but very low end bikes or full on downhill racing bikes. Of course, there will be many good 26" bikes still in service for years to come.
Old 12-21-14, 10:18 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Of course, there will be many good 26" bikes still in service for years to come.
I hope so as I have two current, and one being built, 26" mtbs. If I ever buy a new mtb it will have to be a 650b, because I'm a 5'8'' short-ass, and when I've ridden a 29er I've felt like a kid borrowing his big brother's bike.

Why this should be so on a 29er but not a 700c road bike I don't know, perhaps it's the big tyres.
Old 12-21-14, 10:35 AM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess thats what i was thinking high end racing bikes go for the 26. I don't know to much about biking in the mountains, flat as a pancake around here.My 29er will roll over alot of things however.
Old 12-21-14, 11:42 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
I guess thats what i was thinking high end racing bikes go for the 26.
Only the downhill racers with their very long travel suspension are still predominantly on 26" bikes. 29ers dominate XC racing and 650B is the top choice for Enduro. Horses for courses.
Old 12-22-14, 02:26 AM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks Bluesdawg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.