Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Watching the Tour again at last!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-12, 08:10 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

For the last three years, we haven't had the channel that carries the Tour de France in our package (was Versus, now NBCSports channel) and I've missed it terribly. But it wasn't worth $10/month for a package upgrade when I only needed it for three weeks in July.

So yesterday I decided to try the online streaming video subscription for a flat $30 and it's now associated with my MapMyRide account. I had also not ever tried hooking my PC up to my TV, but after a search through my PC/Video parts box I came up with the necessary cables and I'm glad to report that I'm watching the "Prologue" event live right now.

I can choose to watch it live (events start at 8AM EDT) or can watch it at any other time, and there a a number of other features available. Anyway, I'm really geeked to be able to watch this fantastic event again -- worth it just to watch the French countryside go by as the camera bikes follow the peloton and breakaways.
Old 06-30-12, 08:56 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I am watching the Prologue right now. No spoilers in this reply, don't want to violate that rule. NBC Sports does a pretty good job with their Epic Cycling Series and I like Paul Sherwin (sp?),Phil Ligget and Bob Roll as announcers/commentators. Plan to watch each day and then enjoy the Prime Time show after my evening rides. May still pay for the on line package tomorrow so I can stream it live at work.

I've enjoyed watching as many races as possible on NBC Sports and Universal Sports this year and my guides from VeloNews have helped me understand things pretty well. All this has put me in a pretty good nick for my cycling racing needs.

Please respect the rules for these replies so 50+ can keep maybe a single TDF thread and the mods/admins won't move this to the ProRacing forum. No Spoilers and any type of results posted here and keep the discussion very civil, as 50+ can do very well. Enjoy our forum and the TDF.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 06-30-12 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-30-12, 10:05 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watched the Tour for the first time last summer. Am now addicted to watching any televised or in-person cycling races.

And I have to turn on the tube at 0500 to watch live, which is fine for the weekends, but I have to cut it short on work days. But I've been known to be up at 0430 to watch EPL football....
Old 06-30-12, 11:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I TIVO the Tour so I can watch it at my leisure. I fast forward through the commercials too. Years past I'd get hooked watching in the morning insted of riding my own bike. How dumb is that?

One thing I've learned: Set your recorder to stop at least 1/2 hour after the scheduled end time. More than once I've missed a close finish when the race ran longer than expected.
Old 06-30-12, 02:04 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Eurosport over here and I pay about £1 a month to get that on top of my normal "Sky" package but that £1 includes other channels aswell. Most cycling events in Europe will be covered live- or at least the highlights every evening so my next 3 weeks are going to be spent putting on weight sitting in front of the box every afternoon. Rest of the day won't be wasted as there is still 7am till 1 pm to work in the garden or ride.

And agree with retro--If you are recording the events- start before the scheduled time and at least 30 minutes after.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-30-12, 02:17 PM
overthehillmedi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stapfam, it's nice to be able to schedule your werkday around the TDF schedule, isn't it. Unlike last year when it was the other way around. By the way ,folks werk is the proper spelling when you're retired the other way is a four letter break out the soap word to us retired types.
Old 06-30-12, 04:22 PM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Don't know if it'll be restricted to you folks over on the other side of the pond, but this is free over here https://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/tour...live-schedule/

(BST) is GMT +1hour
Old 06-30-12, 07:44 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DougG
For the last three years, we haven't had the channel that carries the Tour de France in our package (was Versus, now NBCSports channel) and I've missed it terribly. But it wasn't worth $10/month for a package upgrade when I only needed it for three weeks in July.

So yesterday I decided to try the online streaming video subscription for a flat $30 and it's now associated with my MapMyRide account. I had also not ever tried hooking my PC up to my TV, but after a search through my PC/Video parts box I came up with the necessary cables and I'm glad to report that I'm watching the "Prologue" event live right now.

I can choose to watch it live (events start at 8AM EDT) or can watch it at any other time, and there a a number of other features available. Anyway, I'm really geeked to be able to watch this fantastic event again -- worth it just to watch the French countryside go by as the camera bikes follow the peloton and breakaways.
What I do in cases like this:

Subscribe to the extra $10 package.

After 1 month - cancel it.

Costs $10 to your $30, and is far less complicated.

Old 06-30-12, 07:45 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I TIVO the Tour so I can watch it at my leisure. I fast forward through the commercials too
Agreed - I TiVo everything - can't remember when I last watched live TV/

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
One thing I've learned: Set your recorder to stop at least 1/2 hour after the scheduled end time. More than once I've missed a close finish when the race ran longer than expected.
QFT - I need to remember that this time around...
Old 06-30-12, 07:56 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For all you folks who enjoy the Tour, get the blueray "Chasing Legends" and watch it on an HD TV. Absolutely incredible. It follows the Columbia team in 2010. My son got it for me last year and I watch it again and again. Sure gets you psyched for a ride!I can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 07-01-12, 08:41 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

The coverage has been pretty good for my taste so far. the prologue was well covered and the camera work was the usual TDF quality. I'll be glad when a work around to the signal interference from the camera motorcycles up to the relay helicopter is found. Not my field of engineering so I don't have anything to offer. Maybe strategically located repeaters would help. The prime time show with the commentary is enjoyable too. When I have the opportunity I'll watch the live, the replay(s) and the prime time just to get my fix here in the states.

Bill

Old 07-03-12, 09:43 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guess I didn't know there was such a problem about TDF posts here. Wow. But I rarely enter other forums here so...

Anyway. Great coverage as always!! I'll go back to reading about someone's lumbago now...

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 07-03-12 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-03-12, 09:58 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

The mods and admin want the TdF discussions in the Professional Racing for Fans sub-forum. If we use spoiler alerts and keep things civil some years they (the mode and admin) let the 50+ have 1 thread about the TdF. Otherwise they close the outside threads and move a few to the Pro Racing sub-forum. They want the site kept neat and orderly as to topics. 50+ is given some leeway to have a discussion thread since we tend to avoid the drama and arguments that develop often. Thems the rules and we gots to abide by them.

Bill

Old 07-03-12, 10:07 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Taking a self-imposed leave of absence. This place is going nuts. Thanks for the fun guys...
Old 07-03-12, 10:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Any one offer broadcast times, west coast of US, GMT+8 .. ?
Old 07-03-12, 10:28 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Should start on NBC Sports at 5:00 A.M., PDT, for the West Coast for the live broadcast. There is a prime time rebroadcast, with additional commentary, on at 5:00 P.M., P.D.T. You may want to check the web page for NBC Sports since some west coast showings of programs get different play times for the Prime Time stuff.

BBW, You leaving just because they closed your thread?

Old 07-03-12, 11:05 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One thing that gets me- and today is no different- is how there is an accident and someone is injured- an injury that would stop most and put them into Hospital. Yet they get on the bike and finish the stage and next day they are still riding- albeit slower than they normally would. Sean kelly brought it up today as two "Known" riders are now in their 2nd day of riding after accidents to the wrists. Riding at the back but it is a 3 week race. Providing they can get over the injury- they will be able to play a part later in the Race to assist other team members.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-03-12, 11:47 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
One thing that gets me- and today is no different- is how there is an accident and someone is injured- an injury that would stop most and put them into Hospital. Yet they get on the bike and finish the stage and next day they are still riding- albeit slower than they normally would. Sean kelly brought it up today as two "Known" riders are now in their 2nd day of riding after accidents to the wrists. Riding at the back but it is a 3 week race. Providing they can get over the injury- they will be able to play a part later in the Race to assist other team members.
These guys are tough, no doubt. But in my view, finishing the stage is less impressive than getting on the bike the following day and starting the next one.

A few years ago I came off when someone went down in front of me at about mile 60 of a 140 mile sportive. I was a bit battered, but climbed back on and rode the next 80 miles. It was only later that I discovered I had a fractured elbow. Shock, and adrenalin, had kept me riding and I wasn't in really serious discomfort until close to the end. But could I have ridden a similar stage the following day? Not a chance.
Old 07-03-12, 01:43 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I was pretty bummed when Outdoor Life Network, (the predecessor to Versus, then NBC Sports), quit broadcasting the Giro and the Vuelta. For a couple of years, I paid for the Latino Max package that included RTVE, (a Spain network), in September to watch the Vuelta and REI, (an Italian network), in May to watch the Giro.
Old 07-03-12, 02:05 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
What I do in cases like this:

Subscribe to the extra $10 package.

After 1 month - cancel it.

Costs $10 to your $30, and is far less complicated.

I thought of that, but the trouble is that I have been going back and forth with DISH on some other issues. They ended up giving me $10/month off my bill for the next year. Then I found out about their "HD Free For Life" offer so called back and now have all my favorite channels in HD. So I was afraid to mess things up by signing up and canceling another package. Besides, the streaming is completely commercial-free and there are some other nice online features.
Old 07-05-12, 07:21 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

If you want free streaming access, legally try SportsLivez.com, Channel 6, the English language broadcast from Europe. Use this list to select their broadcast:
https://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live
You will need to scroll down a good bit to find the broadcaster list, it is worth the effort.

I use it at work and the commentators are English and Scottish with pretty good knowledge.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-05-12 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-05-12, 10:33 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every year, after much googling, I'm able to find a free live streaming site of varying quality.

Sometimes, after a few days, the site is blocked.

So, how does this work? Are all sites that have free streaming illegal, and function only until the NBCSports Nazis find them??

Also, I find that quality gets worse as the end of the tour approaches, and I assume this is due to more people watching.
Old 07-05-12, 10:51 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Father in law has Dish Network and the channel providing the TDF is not on his plan so he must pay extra for it. No TDF this year.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-05-12, 12:29 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even my wife is somewhat addicted. We generally only watch the last hour or so - no time to sit in front of the TV for 4+ hours - but we love the race & the scenery.

In fact, she's not opposed to doing a TdF vacation in a few years! That's after LEL and PBP ...with a little luck.
Old 07-06-12, 06:23 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

No results included!

Watching Greipel recover from the crash and loosing his pedal on the left foot was amazing. He never missed a beat and got settled so fast. I'd be flat on my face on the pavement. He just kept right on riding straight through as if nothing happened to him.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-06-12 at 07:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.