Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 04:01 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 638 Posts
Took a rare mid December ride today a bit snowy in places but fairly nice winter riding conditions.

Old 12-17-17, 06:00 PM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Thank you and @obrentharris. I didn't do the entire perimeter. I'm not sure how long that would be, but the island is 13 miles long and less than two miles wide on average. That sounds short, but it is so dense and busy that it takes more energy to ride a mile in the city than a mile on the open road, and it also takes a lot longer. I guess I should do an entire perimeter ride one day. I still don't know all the ways onto and off of the East River path, because it's not continuous yet. One day they'll complete it, but maybe not in my lifetime. There are lots of expensive obstacles, the biggest one being the United Nations (UN), a big security question. I should ask @wilfried, as he has a ton of bike routes in his head.
It's about 30 miles. Here's a route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2398779

It's about as close to a perimeter as you can get. You can start it the any point, of course. You could also take in Inwood Park in the north, to make it a little closer to a perimeter, if you want to be a purist, but finding your way is a little tricky. I don't ride the East Side path along the river very often, but the last time I did, somewhere on the Upper East Side the path was completely blocked by construction, requiring a detour, which was a serious pain (noglider, did you ride that stretch?). That was a while ago, so I don't know the state of things now. The part along the Harlem River is quite nice, and less frequented, though finding entrance the first time is a bit of a trick.

noglider, I hope you're doing okay.
Old 12-17-17, 07:33 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I went out without a plan for where to go
brilliant!
Old 12-17-17, 09:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by wilfried
It's about 30 miles. Here's a route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2398779

It's about as close to a perimeter as you can get. You can start it the any point, of course. You could also take in Inwood Park in the north, to make it a little closer to a perimeter, if you want to be a purist, but finding your way is a little tricky. I don't ride the East Side path along the river very often, but the last time I did, somewhere on the Upper East Side the path was completely blocked by construction, requiring a detour, which was a serious pain (noglider, did you ride that stretch?). That was a while ago, so I don't know the state of things now. The part along the Harlem River is quite nice, and less frequented, though finding entrance the first time is a bit of a trick.

noglider, I hope you're doing okay.
Thanks for that. In my tracks above, you can see I turned off the East River at 34 St.

I have hit construction along that path farther up. I'm not sure if it's still there. I hear there are new portions of the path, so that's good news.

Is there really no way along the East River and Harlem River from 120 St to 154 St? Well, at least St Nicholas Ave is a decent place to ride. I've ridden the Harlem River path from 154 St to the northern end, so I know that part.

And thanks. I hope I'm OK too. We will see how long it takes to land a new job.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-18-17, 11:05 AM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Godspeed to you Tom on your journey to finding a new job!

I haven't been riding much, because the weather hasn't been inviting and because I no longer have a job to commute to. Tuesday, I realized I'd been sitting at home too much looking for a job, and I needed to get out. I went out without a plan for where to go. I went around the perimeter of Manhattan which is generally the most scenic way to go, and it's less trafficked, too. I only took one picture, of the East River. It was slightly cold and raining lightly, but I was dressed well enough to be comfortable. My bike and I got pretty dirty, but that was OK. I've been meaning to put fenders on it for a long time.

My GPS tracks

East River from about 16th St. Ahead, you see Manhattan on the left and Brooklyn and Queens on the right.

Old 12-18-17, 11:38 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Getting Into My Winter Groove...

I don't know how much I am going to post this winter. I mean, I'll be riding, certainly, but I'm sure you all will tire of looking at the same bike over and over, especially under these dreary grey skies that we just can't seem to escape.

That said, I did have a nice ride on Saturday (and another on Sunday, but the pics aren't ready yet), and I was able to get a few nice frames before my camera's battery died. Note to self: in winter, recharge after every ride.

So, here's the Barracuda and I entering the infamous Simon's Ravine:

I am always disappointed by how the camera depicts a steep incline or decline.

I pretty much rode the rear brake most of the way down this trail. Even with studded tires, the handling did not feel very reassuring. I suppose that will get better with experience.

There is a nice disc-golf course laid out around the trail:

The sign here indicates the 19th Hole... where's the bar?A shot looking downhill from there:

This tunnel looks positively surreal when it's all lit up at night.

This little gaggle are a bunch of procrastinators; the big flight south put off for another day.

Here comes the train...

... and there it goes.

A picturesque vista in Summer or Fall becomes a vision of desolation in Winter:

Notice the oil train, or "Rolling Pipeline" as I've heard it called.

Same old 494 bridge, but from a different angle:

At this point I shut the camera off for the rest of the ride, hoping to save enough juice for one last shot climbing out of the ravine. Here's that one:

You get a little better idea of the climb from this angle.

This was about a twenty mile ride, the midpoint being lunch at Mississippi Pub. One of these days I should get a shot of the houseboats where people actually live aboard through the Winter.

Twenty miles on studded tires in the snow felt like fifty by the time I got home. I was knackered!

Tomorrow I'll post Sunday's ride into the city. That one is a bit more interesting...

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 12-18-17, 12:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@DQRider, I never tire of your posts. Please keep them up.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-19-17, 09:23 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

@DQRider, I never tire of your posts. Please keep them up.
Well thank you, Tom.

As requested...

Sunday's city ride.

Hall Street in West Saint Paul goes all the way down the hill, nearly to the river. It is a long, fast descent interrupted by stop-signs every two or three blocks. And you have to heed those signs, as there is a lot of cross-traffic.

I typically turn right on Isabelle which brings me to Wabasha Street and, if I don't stop at Taco House for lunch, across the bridge into downtown Saint Paul. On Sunday I stopped:

Señor Brown braving the cold in shorts and a tee-shirt. He wasn't even shivering. Good grief!

I enjoyed my taco burrito very much, and then proceeded to cross the bridge:

My never-ending search for new angles continues...

Here's the view from up there:

A different angle, fromunda da bridge:

A little selective focus:

... and across into downtown:

I rode around Saint Paul for awhile, but it was very busy with Christmas shoppers so I didn't stop for many photos there. Here's one on the way home:

I climbed back up Hall Street, which is nice because it takes you up in three steep climbs with a bit of flat road in between so you can catch your breath. Even though gloomy skies persist, it only takes a short ride to lift the spirits.

Last edited by DQRider; 12-19-17 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-19-17, 09:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@DQRider, what was the temperature on that ride?

And what's a taco burrito?

Old 12-19-17, 10:26 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

@DQRider, what was the temperature on that ride?

And what's a taco burrito?
Mid-20s. A nice, mild day with no wind.

A Taco Burrito is a large flour tortilla filled with taco meat (spicy ground-beef), cheese, lettuce, tomato, and sour cream. 100% Authentic Gringo Cuisine

Old 12-19-17, 10:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

We call that a burrito here.

Old 12-19-17, 10:36 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

We call that a burrito here.
Taco House is on the western edge of our large Mexican community, District Del Sol. It's at the crossroads of Wabasha and Cesar Chavez Blvd. You can get authentic Mexican food there too, and I do that often. Their pork tamales and barbacoa flautas are "ta die for".

Is it lunchtime yet?

Old 12-19-17, 02:08 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Just got back from quick bicycle ride to the local park and back. Believe it or not, it is a beautiful 63°F right now here in Richmond, Virginia!

It was a real short 7.75 miles in 29.22 for an avg of 15.8 mph... Not too bad since I haven't ridden in a while due to so many other commitments.

Here's a shot of the little pond and fountain in Deep Run Park:

At the bottom of the big hill on the way back, I stopped to warm up in the sun (windchill!!) and took this photo:
Old 12-19-17, 02:58 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
We were lucky to get some warmer weather here today, about 40 at the start of my ride from Boston out to Lincoln, MA, and back.

Old 12-19-17, 07:56 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Taco House is on the western edge of our large Mexican community, District Del Sol. It's at the crossroads of Wabasha and Cesar Chavez Blvd. You can get authentic Mexican food there too, and I do that often. Their pork tamales and barbacoa flautas are "ta die for".

Is it lunchtime yet?

Fantastic food.

One of our favorites, for sure.
Old 12-20-17, 01:40 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider

Is it lunchtime yet?
Or, you can marry a Hispanic beauty, as I did, El Paso girls rule..... Home cookin' works for me every time. Taco Bell, Del Taco, etc are for the others in the world. Give me her home made rellenos, with fresh Poblano peppers and maybe some fresh jalapeños, or hermanos peppers. hold the habaneros pease.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-20-17 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-20-17, 02:09 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Or, you can marry a Hispanic beauty, as I did, El Paso girls rule..... Home cookin' works for me every time. Taco Bell, Del Taco, etc are for the others in the world. Give me her home made rellenos, with fresh Poblano peppers and maybe some fresh jalapeños, or hermanos peppers. hold the habaneros pease.

Bill
I expect to see some pictures in the "C&V Lunch" thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...c-v-lunch.html

Brent
Old 12-20-17, 02:16 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I expect to see some pictures in the "C&V Lunch" thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...c-v-lunch.html

Brent
My wife or the rellanos?

As soon as there are some leftovers Brent, I'll post them. However..... ......few of those exist here. burp
Old 12-20-17, 05:43 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
My wife or the rellanos?
Either or both!

On the subject of Did You Ride Today? I rode my commute for the first time since the last snowfall. The roads were finally clear of debris and ice patches. Prolly won't ride tomorrow though.
Old 12-21-17, 12:05 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,842 Times in 2,232 Posts
Did someone show snow?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
410 closure.JPG (450.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg
410 closure (2).JPG (168.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 12-21-17, 12:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Yesterday, @johnlink and I took a midday ride, 42 miles. We did his usual route over the George Washington Bridge and up the Hudson River. As is usual for him, we turned around at the ranger station in Alpine, NJ. On the west side of the river (in NJ), we went north on River Rd, which is along the cliff, and returned south on Rt 9W. Both of these roads are favorites for cyclists.

It was cold and windy, so we wore lots of layers and managed just fine. The bridge span is over a mile, and it's about 230 ft above the water, so it can be windy. There are often lots of pedestrians and cyclists, but not yesterday, understandably.

My GPS tracks

It was 1pm as we crossed the bridge the first time. I'm not sure why this came out so dark. It was quite sunny at the moment. We are looking through the bridge's new suicide prevention fence. It's a shame it's necessary, but I concede that it is. No one survives a jump from this height, and people have jumped a lot lately.

Here is John as I look west towards NJ.

Here is the final climb to the turnaround point. That's salt on the road.

An obligatory picture of my 1974 Raleigh International with modern components. John road his Centurion Ironman with Dura Ace components and 3x7 drivetrain. Taken at the ranger station.

Old 12-21-17, 12:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
1974 Raleigh International with modern components
serious wheels
Old 12-21-17, 01:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
serious wheels
Thanks! The front wheel is heavier than the front, which is all the more reason for putting cargo up there. I have 32 spokes in front and 24 in the rear, only because I had these wheels on hand. The rear wheel seems risky, but so far, so good, and I'm only 160 lbs. I'm running 32mm tires.

I'm not happy with the front light mount and need to figure out a better mount. This is high enough that it gets knocked around, and the tail light cable is sometimes yanked out of the headlight.

Old 12-21-17, 01:14 PM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
John rode his Centurion Ironman with Dura Ace components and 3x7 drivetrain.
It was a great ride, and my first ever in New York riding with someone else.

One correction: My drivetrain is 2x7, not 3x7. The current setup is (53, 39) x (14, 16, 18, 20, 23, 26, 28). I'd like to try (53, 39) x (16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28), but as far as I can tell, Shimano never made an 18-tooth 2nd-position cog.
Old 12-21-17, 01:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by johnlink
My drivetrain is 2x7, not 3x7.
Oops. Some typos are pretty consequential.

My drivetrain is 3x10, but i didn't need to use the small ring yesterday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.