Old 01-20-08, 06:45 PM
hodadmike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
route across Ohio?

re-posted from the touring forum:

Are there any Ohio folks who may have ridden any of these routes?

https://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/main...le/forsale.htm

Looks like Columbus Outdoor Pursuits has many cross state options, I'm considering route F. They sound pretty well planned out, but I'd like to hear from those who may have used any of these maps.

I'm planning out a connector between the Great Allegheny Trail/C&O towpath, thru Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, to the Katy Trail start in St. Louis MO.
Old 01-29-08, 05:06 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Anything Columbus Outdoor Pursuits recommends is ruputable. They have been around for a long time. The western part is flat and rolling the eastern half of Ohio is very hilly, particularly SE. If you ride thru Columbus, be careful. Some neighborhoods are'nt too safe to ride in. Especially around downtown. Go around if you can.
Old 01-29-08, 10:45 PM
hodadmike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, that's good to know the maps are fine. I plan on ordering either "F" or "B", can't decide yet. The route "B" from Marrieta east to the Indiana border looks like it goes thru Cincinnati, is this another big city I might want to go around? The SE hills shouldn't be a problem, our touring rigs are geared very low.
Old 01-30-08, 01:55 PM
dewaday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd opt for "B', much more scenic and less traveled route. The SE corner of Ohio is very beautiful. Plan a stay in Athens, Ohio (Ohio University), and check out Hocking Hills state park just northwest of Athens. Meigs county, just S, has a Rastafarian community that's locally famous for what Rastafarians are usually famous for. Once you hit Ross and Highland your getting into more rolling farmland. Cincinnati is pretty big with a pretty healthy bike scene. Maybe call a bike shop, see if they can route you through. Good luck.
Old 01-30-08, 04:20 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Cincinnati Cycling Club might be a good source for route info around or through the city.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-30-08, 11:52 PM
Stickyrunner01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why does the link not work for me?
Old 01-31-08, 07:27 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stickyrunner01
why does the link not work for me?
Try this one...
https://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/main/forsale/routes.htm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-31-08, 07:54 AM
ebrady

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Puegeot Altitude 21 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dewaday
I'd opt for "B', much more scenic and less traveled route. The SE corner of Ohio is very beautiful. Plan a stay in Athens, Ohio (Ohio University), and check out Hocking Hills state park just northwest of Athens. Meigs county, just S, has a Rastafarian community that's locally famous for what Rastafarians are usually famous for. Once you hit Ross and Highland your getting into more rolling farmland. Cincinnati is pretty big with a pretty healthy bike scene. Maybe call a bike shop, see if they can route you through. Good luck.
+1 on option "B", Southern OH is the more scenic of the routes, depending upon the time of year, it is very likely you will run into other cyclists.
Old 02-01-08, 06:57 AM
Stickyrunner01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
thanks!
Old 02-05-08, 07:10 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dewaday -I agree with many of the posts. Stay south.
Southern Ohio, especially eastern, is surprisingly beautiful and DO NOT MISS Hocking Hills State Park. An amazing place of cliffs, sheer rock walls, water falls, caves and overhangs. Hit the Old Man's Cave, Ash Cave, and Conkle's Hollow areas. You will thank all of us for the tip.
Old 02-06-08, 12:34 AM
hodadmike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fallsjohn
dewaday -I agree with many of the posts. Stay south.
Southern Ohio, especially eastern, is surprisingly beautiful and DO NOT MISS Hocking Hills State Park. An amazing place of cliffs, sheer rock walls, water falls, caves and overhangs. Hit the Old Man's Cave, Ash Cave, and Conkle's Hollow areas. You will thank all of us for the tip.
I've decided on the "B" route (Southern) and am looking forward to seeing that part of the country. I still need to decide whether to continue West thru Cincinnati, Indiana, and Illionois to the Katy Trail, or cut down thru Northern Kentucky on the ACA's Underground Railroad and pick up the TransAm to the West. Thanks for all the help.