Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What really happens to CF when it fails?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What really happens to CF when it fails?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 06:56 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xdrmusclex
There is alot of talk that CF frames will explode or detonate and kill everybody in the immediate vicinity, is there any evidence that this actually happens, i dont seem to see any pictures or real reports of any of these catastrophes.
Get some Lasik quick...

This caused the crash, not vice-versa. And no, I didn't end up in the ER.

Old 03-12-08, 06:58 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That hurts my teeth.

Any idea how that happened?
Old 03-12-08, 07:02 PM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
LOSE
enjineers doont ned to no how two spall.
Old 03-12-08, 07:34 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What happens? I've always guessed I'd fall. Happens sometimes.
Old 03-12-08, 07:48 PM
powpow

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
Get some Lasik quick...

Holy s**t that freaks me out. Did you get hurt? Any idea what caused the failure?
Old 03-12-08, 07:54 PM
spry

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkauffman
What happens? I've always guessed I'd fall. Happens sometimes.
Whats interesting is that guy on the black CF bike doing 20mph last Sun. near Polaris Parkway during the storm of the century did not fall.
That boy,s got nerve.
Old 03-12-08, 07:56 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spry
Whats interesting is that guy on the black CF bike doing 20mph last Sun. near Polaris Parkway during the storm of the century did not fall.
That boy,s got nerve.
(er.Last Monday)
Old 03-12-08, 08:26 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyquest
Any idea how that happened?
8th lap of the Downtown Denton criteriums last fall. Downhill into a hard left turn where we had to cross a drainage recession. Came out of the corner and next thing I know I'm trying to keep control of the bike as the left side of the fork gave way. Flipped me over the right hand side and skidded down the asphalt for a ways. We were strung out single file at that point so luckily there was no bunched pack that had to roll over me.
Old 03-12-08, 08:26 PM
PapaLegba
2wicky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a giant diIdo crushes the sun.

and we all die.
Old 03-12-08, 08:28 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

8th lap of the Downtown Denton criteriums last fall. Downhill into a hard left turn where we had to cross a drainage recession. Came out of the corner and next thing I know I'm trying to keep control of the bike as the left side of the fork gave way. Flipped me over the right hand side and skidded down the asphalt for a ways. We were strung out single file at that point so luckily there was no bunched pack that had to roll over me.
Yuck. I suppose the only way to avoid this is to continually check up on the integrity of your parts. 99% of us wont ever have a problem.

I hit a curb straight on at about 20mph avoiding a car and my CF (trek) fork held true, while my aluminum frame crumpled. Seems like its all chance sometimes.
Old 03-12-08, 11:15 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I'm just wondering how common the "just riding along" failure really is, assuming everything's tightened with appropriate torque and you haven't left your bike in direct sunlight for years.
Old 03-12-08, 11:37 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I'm only 130 pounds, I figure nothing will ever break. (but I still inspect it closely on a regular basis just to be sure)
Old 03-12-08, 11:46 PM
BHBiker
CERVEL-LIZED!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get some Lasik quick...

Is this covered by lifetime limited warranty as it seems to have failed and caused a crash instead of crashing first and damaging it before this happened? Has this bike been crashed before this catastrophic failure????
Old 03-13-08, 04:50 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BHBiker
Is this covered by lifetime limited warranty as it seems to have failed and caused a crash instead of crashing first and damaging it before this happened? Has this bike been crashed before this catastrophic failure????
Specialized replaced the fork, no questions asked. The frame and fork were nearly brand new.
Old 03-13-08, 06:52 AM
BHBiker
CERVEL-LIZED!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized replaced the fork, no questions asked. The frame and fork were nearly brand new.

scary......now I am looking at my Tarmac with a lot of concern......nearly brand new hmmmmm its not the way i would like to use my warranty....:-( actually I prefer not to use it at all...
Old 03-13-08, 08:05 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Specialized Allez Sport Tripple (2006) with about 3,000 miles on it. It, too, has a carbon fork. At about 2000 miles I noticed some scuffing inside the fork in the area where the tire passes through it. There is enough of a groove on each side that you can catch your fingernail slightly. The black color at the scuffing is changed to bright white. The LBS looked at it and decided the carbon fibers are not compromised.

The LBS was at a loss to explain what happened. I never used any tire other than the original 700 x 23C size. In my own mind I decided the scuffing happened one evening when my front tire was losing air on a long ride and went pretty much flat before I realized what was happening. Somehow the partially deflated tire casing moved laterally and scuffed the inside of my fork.

Does anyone regularly replace a carbon fork just because it has years and miles on it?
Old 03-13-08, 08:11 AM
steaktaco
bannned

Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twobikes
I have a Specialized Allez Sport Tripple (2006) with about 3,000 miles on it. It, too, has a carbon fork. At about 2000 miles I noticed some scuffing inside the fork in the area where the tire passes through it. There is enough of a groove on each side that you can catch your fingernail slightly. The black color at the scuffing is changed to bright white. The LBS looked at it and decided the carbon fibers are not compromised.

The LBS was at a loss to explain what happened. I never used any tire other than the original 700 x 23C size. In my own mind I decided the scuffing happened one evening when my front tire was losing air on a long ride and went pretty much flat before I realized what was happening. Somehow the partially deflated tire casing moved laterally and scuffed the inside of my fork.

Does anyone regularly replace a carbon fork just because it has years and miles on it?
Prolly leaves and junk.

Old 03-13-08, 09:20 AM
xdrmusclex
the barbarian

Bikes: Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel, Surly Steamroller(FG), Abici Podium (road)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PapaLegba
a giant diIdo crushes the sun.

and we all die.
this was the answer i was looking for!
Old 03-13-08, 10:17 AM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twobikes

I have the same bike and the same markings appeared on the inside of my fork. It turned out to be the tiny rubber strings (sorry don't know the term) sticking out of each side of the tire. They hit both sides of the fork with each pass. All it did was take the paint off. I pulled them off the tire and that was the end of it.
Old 03-13-08, 06:04 PM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, rydaddy. Your explanation makes more sense than my guess. I do not remember those little threads of rubber on my tires. I am also on my second set of tires. The first were factory issue Mondos. The second set are Armadillos. I think those little threads are from the injection of rubber into the mould. In casting metals that is called "sprue."
Old 03-13-08, 06:19 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a carbon CX fork explode like a zit on a teens face. By the grace of God I wasn't going fast, so I was back on the bike in less than a week with only a very soar shoulder
Old 03-13-08, 06:23 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
I guess I'm just wondering how common the "just riding along" failure really is, assuming everything's tightened with appropriate torque and you haven't left your bike in direct sunlight for years.
My failure happened while I was coasting to a stop at around 5MPH. The fork was also eleven months old with around 2K on it.
Old 03-13-08, 06:46 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is weight savings the main reason for using CF forks? Reading this thread I'm thinking I'm much more safe on my all-steel frame. Does anybody ever replace a CF fork with steel?
Old 03-13-08, 06:50 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading this thread I'm feeling safer on my all-steel frame. Is weight saving the only reason CF forks are used? Does anybody ever replace a CF fork with steel?
Old 03-13-08, 07:00 PM
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CF actually has very good fatigue properties. The problem is that it's also quite brittle so it will fail catestrophically when it goes. However CF isn't the only material that will fail nor the only material that will fail so catestrophically. Metals will do the same thing given the right loads and conditions.

It's always a good idea to inspect high stress areas for cracks, whether you ride steel, aluminum, titanium, CF, whatever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.