Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Modern Steel Frames vs Aluminum/Carbon

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 07:43 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Relative newbie rediscovering cycling after 20 years and looking to upgrade from my 88 Schwinn World Sport. Reading a lot about aluminum frames, carbon forks etc. Also have read a little about "catastrophic carbon fork failure." Yikes. Are the modern non-steel frames/forks weaker and less able to take the abuse of the road? I know my next bike will be like going from an 8 track to an Ipod, but can I get the same impact from a modern steel frame bike, and what quality steel frame bikes are out there? Thanks!
Old 02-10-08, 07:47 PM
Youngin
ub3r n00b

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much are you willing to spend? Do you want a touring bike or a racer? I wouldn't worry about the carbon forks.
Old 02-10-08, 07:49 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The $1500 aluminum framed bike with Ultegra is about the best bike you can buy today for practically any application. Steel, Carbon, Ti are expensive and should already have some idea of what these materials offer before spending upwards of $2000 for a bike.
Old 02-10-08, 07:50 PM
michaelmc

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any failure of non-steel frames or forks is a result of either 1. chance, or 2. design flaw, not any inherent weakness of material. That said, modern steel frames can weigh as little as aluminum, or now with Columbus XCr and Reynolds 953, as little as some carbon frames (think 1400 g). Few big companies are making production steel bikes (Gunnar, Jamis, Lemond maybe), but the independent frame builder industry is burgeoning.

EDITED TO ADD: you're going to pay >$2500 for a XCr or 953 frame, probably closer to $3500. Al or carbon frame with carbon fork is A-OK.
Old 02-10-08, 08:12 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
You can get a decent steel frame, around 4 pounds, from Soma for around $400, Gunnar around $750, and Waterford from around $1400. Add a couple hundred for an all steel fork if you want one.
Old 02-10-08, 08:44 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rufvelo
The $1500 aluminum framed bike with Ultegra is about the best bike you can buy today for practically any application. Steel, Carbon, Ti are expensive and should already have some idea of what these materials offer before spending upwards of $2000 for a bike.
I got an 853 steel frame for $200. I don't think that's expensive.

Az
Old 02-10-08, 08:56 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
If you have a Schwinn, consider Waterford. The great grandson of the founder of Scwinn and the chief engineer of the Paramount racing division left Schwinn before they went bankrupt years ago to strat Waterford.

However every material is better and durable compared to old steel. Take some time and go for some test rides. Each material is different but the biggest difference is what the builder does with the material.

Have fun and try each.
Old 02-11-08, 12:35 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
I second the idea that you should ride some bikes and see what you think. That said, I got an aluminum frame/carbon fork (alum. stays) Cannondale last year and it rides very comfortably. Don't buy the "aluminum is harsh" thing. It might be, but if it fits well and has geometry you like it can be very comfortable and economical.
Old 02-11-08, 12:51 AM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All materials fail at some point. In the meantime, ride it!
Old 02-11-08, 01:50 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I think jamis makes a steel/carbon frame, which looked pretty cool.
Indy fab has some beautiful steel bikes.

Just depends on how much you want to spend. You could also buy a used 80's steel frame and build it up modern style if you found a good frame. I'm doing that soon
Old 02-11-08, 02:07 AM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fallsjohn
I know my next bike will be like going from an 8 track to an Ipod, but can I get the same impact from a modern steel frame bike, and what quality steel frame bikes are out there? Thanks!
Good analogy, because an iPod won't necessarily get you better fidelity. It's just the latest delivery method.

Lots of quality steel frames out there to choose from. Steel forks are rarer these days but they can still be found. If you're really looking for versatile steel bike the Salsa Casseroll is a good budget choice. If you have a little more money, Gunnar. If you're willing to expand the budget to, say, $1,200 for frame and fork, go custom.
Old 02-11-08, 06:42 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Check out the on-line offerings from Ebay, Bikesdirect, RSCycles, etc. You can buy a bike with a quality but no-name frame with very good components for usually much less than a brand-name bike at a bike shop. It turns out that most frames are made by a small number of manufacturers in Taiwan or China anyway. If you want a different frame later on you already have most of the parts that you'll want to use and didn't pay much for them. I'm like you, back into cycling after a long layoff (kids, business, life), and have bought 3 bikes this way and wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 02-11-08, 07:08 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
853 and Columbus Zona will be at a similar price as aluminum, but at least 3/4 of a pound or more heavier for the frame weight.

953 and Columbus Spirit may take that down to 1/4-1/3 of a pound but it still won't be as light and you'll be paying out the wazoo.
Old 02-11-08, 07:11 AM
dekindy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gunnar would be an excellent production steel bike. Serotta's Fierte is the premier production model. Bianchi Virata is a great bike that was on closeout last year here in Indianapolis for $1,400 with all Ultegra components. I would have bought that in a heartbeat if I had not already purchased my Serotta Fierte.

Don't be afraid of the new materials. Unless you are racing buy what you think rides the best. I rode them all and decided to stick with steel except for the carbon fork.
Old 02-11-08, 08:02 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great input! Just what I needed.
Old 02-11-08, 08:37 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
i don't know it's common to have a steel frame with a carbon fork, but i have a Columbus double-butted steel Torelli frame with a Torelli Aspect CF fork, and while the bike wasn't cheap (just over 2k), the thing is just a dream to ride, and i expect it to last for many years.