Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What really happens to CF when it fails?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 10:01 AM
xdrmusclex
the barbarian

Bikes: Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel, Surly Steamroller(FG), Abici Podium (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

There is alot of talk that CF frames will explode or detonate and kill everybody in the immediate vicinity, is there any evidence that this actually happens, i dont seem to see any pictures or real reports of any of these catastrophes.
Old 03-12-08, 10:07 AM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BOOOOOM.....

No what really happens when CF breaks is individual strands exceed their fracture strength, and will snap. The load that the individual strand carried is then transfered by the matrix to surrounding strands. Because of the nonisotropic nature of CFRP, the prorogation of the crack will not follow a set path like metals, and will cause a very random fracture pattern.
Old 03-12-08, 10:09 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
What happens in many cases is you end up in the ER.
Old 03-12-08, 10:13 AM
Quijibo187
Custom User Title

Bikes: 2006 Marin Stelvio, 1990s Steve Bauer, Marin Palisades Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xdrmusclex
There is alot of talk that CF frames will explode or detonate and kill everybody in the immediate vicinity, is there any evidence that this actually happens, i dont seem to see any pictures or real reports of any of these catastrophes.
no.
Old 03-12-08, 10:16 AM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
What happens in many cases is you end up in the ER.
Not really. When CF fails, it looses like 99% of its structural integrity, but since not all the strands will fail, it will stay in one piece. I have seen some soft-tail mountain bikes fail (a semi-full suspension MTB that uses flex of the chain stays (typically CF) to pivot instead of hinges.) and when they fail, it was still semi (used extremely loosely) rideable, similar in the respect that a flat tire is still rideable on a big descent.
Old 03-12-08, 10:17 AM
steaktaco
bannned

Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asmallsol
BOOOOOM.....

No what really happens when CF breaks is individual strands exceed their fracture strength, and will snap. The load that the individual strand carried is then transfered by the matrix to surrounding strands. Because of the nonisotropic nature of CFRP, the prorogation of the crack will not follow a set path like metals, and will cause a very random fracture pattern.
Can you then assume, if you find a hairline crack that is straight (rather than the randomness you described), that it is just a scratch in the clear coat? Or does the resin crack straight until the fiber underneath completely fractures?

Also: when carbon does fail, can you really stab yourself with jagged edges? The one time I've seen a seatpost fail, it was pulverized; looked almost like cloth at the edges.

Old 03-12-08, 10:20 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Not really. When CF fails, it looses like 99% of its structural integrity, but since not all the strands will fail, it will stay in one piece. I have seen some soft-tail mountain bikes fail (a semi-full suspension MTB that uses flex of the chain stays (typically CF) to pivot instead of hinges.) and when they fail, it was still semi (used extremely loosely) rideable, similar in the respect that a flat tire is still rideable on a big descent.
I was more or less referring to a sudden fork failure. I should have made that clear.
Old 03-12-08, 11:28 AM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steaktaco
Can you then assume, if you find a hairline crack that is straight (rather than the randomness you described), that it is just a scratch in the clear coat? Or does the resin crack straight until the fiber underneath completely fractures?

Also: when carbon does fail, can you really stab yourself with jagged edges? The one time I've seen a seatpost fail, it was pulverized; looked almost like cloth at the edges.
You can impaile yourself with just about anything given the right circumstances, but many broken carbon things I have seen (hockey sticks) fail, but stay in one piece. Basically how you describe as almost a stiff cloth were it snapped at. As for the hair line cracks, its probably the clear coat, not the resin that are cracking up but there is no way to really tell unless you put it under a Keyance or some other type of optical microscope.
Old 03-12-08, 12:01 PM
rockabilly808
Drunk on wheels

Bikes: a frame and 2 wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do they explode? ever heard of hiroshima? the government wants you to think it was atomic weapon. but in reality it was a prototype american aircraft made of carbon fiber that happened to be flying over the city when the CF failed, massively, boom, lash city gone. and that is the truth.

on a serious note what happens is the individual fibers break
Old 03-12-08, 12:21 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a recently uncovered photo taken by Treks R&D department. It is the result of crashing an '08 Madone frame into a wall at 17mph

Old 03-12-08, 01:08 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Carbon fiber is sort of like a cross between coal and glass. I've cut myself on carbon shards when I got too curious about a broken fork (roof rack + low hanging branch + 50 mph). Looks like when you get a magnet in steel filings - except the little spikes don't move when you touch them.

In car races they blow the shards off the course else everyone will flat. Those spikes are really sharp.

In "safety carbon" (I made up that term) they layer it with kevlar, the same way car glass is plastic with glass. The kevlar becomes flexy cloth, helping retain the carbon shards. In fact, kevlar is so resistant to tearing that it's used in some bike locks - you can't rip it using a jack or whatever, you actually have to use scissors to cut it. The kevlar in carbon fiber helps prevent panel disintegration (like on a race car).

cdr
Old 03-12-08, 01:19 PM
tzracer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because of the nonisotropic nature of CFRP
Anisotopic (and anisotropy) is way funner to say.
Old 03-12-08, 01:47 PM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Bikes: Yeah, I got a few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 03-12-08, 01:57 PM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Treefox
what happens when you give it too much power in a high gear...
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 03-12-08, 01:59 PM
Crash716
i got nothing.

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My CF frame actually had a crack in it and it looked like a hairline crack. the frame basically failed but did not destruct. Don't assume that straight "scratches" in carbon frames are clear coat...i did that for 3 weeks on my frame and then found another "scratch" in the frame only to flex it and actually see the frame separating....all this after just finishing a crit race sprint.....i have never seen a CF frame just explode unless it was from blunt force trauma...usually it cracks and gets weak and you fall over, but it doesn't send shards of CF into the atmosphere.
Old 03-12-08, 02:04 PM
jonathanrules

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash716
My CF frame actually had a crack in it and it looked like a hairline crack. the frame basically failed but did not destruct. Don't assume that straight "scratches" in carbon frames are clear coat...i did that for 3 weeks on my frame and then found another "scratch" in the frame only to flex it and actually see the frame separating....all this after just finishing a crit race sprint.....i have never seen a CF frame just explode unless it was from blunt force trauma...usually it cracks and gets weak and you fall over, but it doesn't send shards of CF into the atmosphere.
damn. i've got a scratch in the clearcoat. luckily it really doesn't penetrate past it
Old 03-12-08, 02:04 PM
bigreen505

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a bunch of Trek overrun tubing from the company that makes it for a non-bike project. I would guess this is what is used for head tubes, top tubes, seat tubes, not down tubes. We were only testing compressive strength in a press. It breaks. I remember it being pretty uneventful. That stuff is crazy strong.
Old 03-12-08, 03:43 PM
xdrmusclex
the barbarian

Bikes: Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel, Surly Steamroller(FG), Abici Podium (road)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ok, so we all agree the big boom theory is a load?
Old 03-12-08, 04:08 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, so we all agree the big boom theory is a load?
The "theory" you're referring to is a sarcastic joke that stems from threads like this...
Old 03-12-08, 04:21 PM
BHBiker
CERVEL-LIZED!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HOLY SCIENCE FICTION BATMAN!!!! do you really believe that craparoonie boom boom explode krakakoom expression they use with CF? Boy o boy....CF cracks so if yo are doing 60kph while your carbon frameset decides to fail...you end up with an explosion...exploded lips, skull and bones....Thats what the boom is all about....so go get yourself an eBay carbon bike that is used "only 500kms"....he he he he he

Aren't all eBay bikes used only for 500kms or even less because its only gathering dust in the shed????

CHEERS!
Old 03-12-08, 04:31 PM
steaktaco
bannned

Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A pile-up kinda looks like a mushroom. Sometimes.

Old 03-12-08, 04:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
It cracks.

If it is your seatpost, your weight might hold it in place, and you might not even notice it at first.

If it is your forks, you could end up doing a face plant.

No one has ever (seriously) said that CF explodes. Several people have translated posts by people like me who say that CF shatters (because it fragments like glass) to mean explodes. Very different words.

Also the term "catastrophic" has been used to describe what happens to CF when it cracks/shatters. That use of "catastrophic" simply means that it happens quite suddenly ... it doesn't gradually twist, bend, or break like other materials might. And the suddenness with which CF can crack/shatter is potentially dangerous ... like if, for example, you were riding down a hill and your forks shattered. This happened to an acquaintence of mind ... he did the face plant I mentioned above, and was hospitalized. Although he was fairly seriously injured, he lived.

Last edited by Machka; 03-12-08 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 05:38 PM
spry

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have never interviewed a CF failure/explosion survivor so it is safe to assume that the fatality rate is quite high.
What,you want to die in front of the television on your recliner?
Old 03-12-08, 05:53 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
A tear in the fabric of time and space occurs and you wind up in an alternate universe.
Old 03-12-08, 06:10 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
LOSE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.