Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1990 Schwinn WorldSport Questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 06:13 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Hello all, brand new to the forum here...looking to get some information regarding my 1990 Schwinn WorldSport. I bought this bike brand new in 1990 from my local Schwinn dealer, rode it maybe 2-3 times, and parked it in my mom's garage.

I loved riding bikes when I was younger, especially my grandfathers bright yellow Schwinn LeTour, which I would still have if I hadn't crashed it.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to putting the WorldSport back on the road and riding for exercise, maybe do the occasional charity ride once I get myself into shape.

The WorldSport has maybe 15 miles on it, no exaggeration. It has to be one of the newest 18 year old bikes around. I barely rode it when I got it. When I brought it home a few weeks ago, I put air in the tires (although the look dry rotted, they hold air), sprayed WD-40 on the chain and sprockets, and took off for a quick ride. I think it rode beautifully, for having sat so long. The gears shifted, the brakes stopped me (although the back brakes need to be adjusted).

My questions - What should I have done to it at my local bike shop? Definently new tires (any recommendations?) brake adjustments and a "tune-up"? Should have them check to see if the rims need to be trued, since it sat for so long? Anything else I should consider?

Finally, here are a few pictures...the bike is in dire need of a detailing...I hosed off the dust, that has been it so far. Does anyone have any recommendations for detailing...I think she'll really shine once I'm finished.

Any and all recommendations and help, including thoughts on the WorldSport itself, would really be appreciated....thank you!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pic1.jpg (86.9 KB, 85 views)
pic2.jpg (92.6 KB, 59 views)
pic3.jpg (86.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-12-08, 06:20 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would think about cleaning and repacking all the bearings, new tires (Panaracer Pasela TG's are nice riding, tough and reasonably priced) and new brake pads. Then ride.
Old 03-12-08, 08:26 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1...and get the wheels trued. Vittoria Zaffiros are another nice tire.

A coat of wax on the frame after a thorough cleaning would be good too.

Not a "high end" bike but a nice ride just the same, IMO. If I find another one in my size I'll leave it geared this time (see sig). Enjoy!

Last edited by bcoppola; 03-12-08 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-13-08, 08:18 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
1990 Schwinn Specifications

1990 Schwinn World Sport catalog page

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 03-13-08, 06:33 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike. It looks exactly like my 88 I picked up last summer for $25. I would have paid much more. Like you I just got back into biking last summer and probably put over 1000 miles on it. Can't wait until the last of the 22" we got last week is gone, though I've ridden this winter whenever the roads are clear. Enjoy it.
Old 04-13-10, 04:23 PM
ahandley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw where some one was selling a 1990 worldsport on craigslist today, but it didn't look as nice as yours. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Old 04-13-10, 08:38 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Wow...my first ever thread here, resurrected from the great beyond! Getting my WS back on the road rekindled my love for bikes and got me started on my modest collection listed on my signature...it's fallen to the bottom of the pecking order I suppose...but I'll never get rid of it...