Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Here Riding in Shorts Below 5 deg C/40 deg F?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 12:12 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Unless I'm racing (and I don't do that anymore), I'm in long tights up to 20 deg C (68 deg F, room temperature). So I am always bemused by the number of people here in cold & rainy Vancouver, BC, who ride around in their shorts (and I've seen one guy in REAL shorts, those little red gym shorts!) at this time of year. Yeah, yesterday afternoon the temps were dropping from a pleasant 8 deg C to the 0 deg C (32 deg F) we had this morning. Yet there are people (men and women) out riding in shorts!

And you can't tell them anything, like "it will wreck your knees when you are over 50!" because they never listen. So I just look at them and just have to shake my head.

But being the skeptic that I am, I always try to keep an open mind. I've never seen any real proof that riding in shorts in cold weather wrecks your knees, so I could be the one mistaken here.

Comments?

- Luis
Old 01-11-12, 12:18 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
For me the cut off point is anything below 60 degrees. My own personal experience has been that I pay a price, not during the ride, but the next day with quads and knees suffering the most, if I ride with just shorts in cool or cold weather.
Old 01-11-12, 12:29 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
People in Colorado would wear less clothing for a given temperature than people here in Texas. I was down in far south Texas one time (Kingsville), and the people there all had their heavy coats on when it was in the mid 50's. Depends on what you're used to.

Shorts are fine for me down to 60 or so, then I get cold. And for overall comfort, it partly depends on what you're wearing topside, too. With long sleeves and thick socks, you can wear shorts to a lower temperature.
Old 01-11-12, 12:35 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
I always cover my knees below the mid 60s degrees. Most of my elite 1/2 riding buddies do as well. I have watched elite madison teams working out in high 60s temps with knee warmers. It is very old school but I like to keep my knees warm and it takes them longer to warmup than the muscles. I suspect most of the ones who do not cover their knees do not produce much power.
Old 01-11-12, 12:47 PM
Pete In Az

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do (wear shorts below 40° F) and my knees are fine. Rain, sleet, snow, gloom of night, well... maybe not the sleet. I hate hail also.

I'm mostly a recreational rider, so I don't push it as much as others on this thread. That might make a difference.

I'm 55 and have been back on the bike for three years now, so far, so good.
Old 01-11-12, 01:44 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
Unless I'm racing (and I don't do that anymore), I'm in long tights up to 20 deg C (68 deg F, room temperature). So I am always bemused by the number of people here in cold & rainy Vancouver, BC, who ride around in their shorts (and I've seen one guy in REAL shorts, those little red gym shorts!) at this time of year. Yeah, yesterday afternoon the temps were dropping from a pleasant 8 deg C to the 0 deg C (32 deg F) we had this morning. Yet there are people (men and women) out riding in shorts!

And you can't tell them anything, like "it will wreck your knees when you are over 50!" because they never listen. So I just look at them and just have to shake my head.

But being the skeptic that I am, I always try to keep an open mind. I've never seen any real proof that riding in shorts in cold weather wrecks your knees, so I could be the one mistaken here.

Comments?

- Luis
Well, it was 2℃ outside when I was on the bike this morning, wearing shorts and jersey.... Mind you that was indoors on the trainer Now it was in a room that is not heated, but I think the coldest it's gotten in there is about 10℃
Old 01-11-12, 02:17 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
What? My unshaven hirsute legs keep me well insulated into the 20's.

Naah. Tights or at least knee warmers are de rigueur under 60.

Old 01-11-12, 02:22 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Down to 50F is fine in riding shorts. Below that the tights, USMC sweatshirt or sleeves come out.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-11-12, 02:49 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Below 60 usually warrants tights over shorts....
Old 01-11-12, 03:09 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I start wearing knee warmers when the temps are below 48-50
Old 01-11-12, 03:19 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Same here. Much below 50 and I put on the knee warmers or tights. But sometimes on a long ride that starts early I'll skip them even if its 40, as long as it's going to warm up soon.
I've had knee problems from running, and cycling in the past, but riding with out knee covering when its over 50 hasn't caused any problems for me.
Old 01-11-12, 04:43 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Cover the knees below 60-65. Just because the legs feel warm, the knees aren't. The damage to cold knees occurs over a long period of time. Cover them today so you can still have them at 80.

Old 01-11-12, 05:15 PM
Hendricks97

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear shorts year round unless Im going to work. As for riding, I would say around 35-40 is where I stop wearing shorts. My knees are already shot and will have to be replaced within the next few years so it doesnt really matter what I do to them now
Old 01-11-12, 05:26 PM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Shorts down to high 40s, tights of varying thicknesses after that.
Old 01-11-12, 08:29 PM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yup. It was down the the mid-30sF here in Southern California in mid-December in the pre-dawn hours and I no problem wearing MTB shorts. My biggest concerns are keeping my upper body and hands warm, and watching for frozen lawn sprinkler overspray on the road. The legs seem to take care of themselves as long as they are working the pedals.

Old 01-11-12, 08:42 PM
Bronze Potato

Bikes: Pretty fast ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ca-nee warmers for me. If it's wet, embrocation. 35 a few days ago and bib tights were over-kill for me.

Now we can diverge and argue about embro.
Old 01-11-12, 10:34 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
If you have Roubaix lined shorts, and wear knee warmers, or leg warmers, it would be iffy at 40. If you're starting a ride at 40, and going up to 60, it would be OK.

About 45 to 65F, I use roubaix lined knickers. Below that, regular shorts, with windstop tights over them.

Regardless of what others post, there is significant backup to keeping your knees covered when weather is the least bit cool. Peak temp of 65F and overcast in NJ is cool. 65F and sunny in NM is balmy.

Edit: I shouldn't bother posting when Hermes has contributed. He is always right enough.

Last edited by Terex; 01-11-12 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 12:36 AM
Onfixiate
ABQ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Extensive riding in cooler/colder conditions bare-legged will make your legs fat...
Old 01-12-12, 12:48 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
45° F is the absolute lowest temp I might feel good in shorts at. Some 45s are colder than others, though, most 45s I will start cursing if I'm out there in shorts. Most of the time I'll play is safe and wear tights @ 55F or below.

I'm also like ericm, if I know it'll be warming up 15 degrees I might roll out in shorts as cold as 40F
Old 01-12-12, 12:53 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Drawn from experience and many sources...

If you are riding in cold and wet weather (- 10C) your quads work harder and it is easier to develop small muscle tears at the muscle insertions points at the knee if you have been riding intensively.

One can also experience a patellar tendon strain from repetitive stress and the chances of this happening when you are cycling in cold weather with unprotected and cold knees increases as cold causes the patellar tendons to tighten.

Unlike muscles, tendons do not receive the direct blood flow that muscles do so are more susceptible to cold.

Better conditioned riders may not experience the same issues... when I was on my bike 7 days a week and riding to the tune of 10,000 miles a year I found I could handle some pretty decent cold and not experience discomfort or any pain in my knees while other people I knew suffered by trying the same
Old 01-12-12, 01:22 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It was 34F when I started my ride this morning wearing shorts but with a windbreaker, shoe covers, and full gloves. But it had warmed up to about 40F within an hour and was 60F by the time the ride was over (the shoe covers and windbreaker were off by then).
Old 01-12-12, 01:32 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
When I lived in a warmer climate, I would wear tights if the temperature was going to be below 70F. After over a decade of the cool but not cold temps of the Willamette Valley, I don't put the tights on over the wool knickers until it gets below 40F. However, if I am just toodling around town for twenty miles or so, I will wear shorts down to 35F.
Old 01-12-12, 06:46 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Depends a whole lot on the sunshine and humidity. Here in CO, we get a lot of sunshine and very low humidities, and I am much more comfortable without my leg warmers at temps about 50F. If it is gray with no rays and humid, I will likely keep them on.

I am pretty "Warm-blooded" and can get over-heated quickly, which is why, when temps are in the 30's and low 40's, I will wear 4 - 5 removable very light layers on my top side, and carry a foldable back pack in which to place them when removed.

I would like more discussion on the "cold-knees are dangerous and harmful" topics that I see so much of, even in this thread. My suspicion is that it is an urban legend with little merit, as I have seen no actual valid medical studies and the like presented on this topic. Anyone out there have any actual evidence on this besides personal anecdotes?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-12-12 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-12-12, 07:19 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+ F and I'll do shorts for my fitness rides, especially if it's sunny. Back when I raced, I used to do shorts in the 40s, b/c there was so much exertion and adrenaline I didn't feel the cold.
At least 60 F: Shorts all the way, sunny or cloudy!

I wonder about some peolple though. A few weeks ago, while on my Sunday ride, I passed a jogger in shorts and no shirt!!! IT WAS 37 DEGREES F. COME ON MAAAN!!!
Old 01-12-12, 07:22 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I hate wearing tights. I wear just shorts down to about 40 degrees.

In the interest of full disclosure, anymore I lose a lot of my enthusiasm for bicycling when the temperature drops below 40 degrees and I lose all of it below 30 degrees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.