Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zipp 404 w. Powertap G3 by Wheelbuilder.com

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 10:17 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I recently made an order for a set of Zipp 404 FC Clinchers with G3 and after doing some research (should have done it beforehand) I've found that these do not come from zipp but rather from a custom wheel builder, wheelbuilder.com to be exact. So I have a few questions for you guys.

* The wheel weight varies from 1590 to 1715g. Is this all the G3 hub?

* How will the stiffness of the wheel rate with the G3 over the original 188/V9 hub that zipp has?

I've heard that handbuilt wheels are often much better than what comes from the zipp factory and really hope this holds true. I am not too concerned with the extra weight (considering it is in the hub) but I am concerned with stiffness. I am training to be a fairly strong sprinter and would not like a flexy wheel holding me back.

I can still change the order since they are placing it tomorrow and I can be there before they open. The other option was the Enve SES 6.7 combo but it was a little more expensive with the same hub and slightly heavier.

Thanks,
Luis
Old 12-29-13, 10:50 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Hello,
Yes, the Zipp 188 hub weighs 188g. The Powertap G3 weighs 325g. So there's all of your extra weight. The prowheelbuilder.com site has a wheel weight calculator that lists the weight of all of the components. I can't answer your other question(s) although I did just get a Powertap G3 laced to a Kinlin XC279.
Old 12-29-13, 10:52 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
Yes, the Zipp 188 hub weighs 188g. The Powertap G3 weighs 325g. So there's all of your extra weight. The prowheelbuilder.com site has a wheel weight calculator that lists the weight of all of the components. I can't answer your other question(s) although I did just get a Powertap G3 laced to a Kinlin XC279.
Thanks for clarifying that. What are your thoughts on the G3 laced to the Kinlin?
Old 12-29-13, 10:56 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for clarifying that. What are your thoughts on the G3 laced to the Kinlin?
I only have two rides on it but it feels just as stiff as my old Kinlin XR270 with a Novatec hub. I never noticed any flex on that wheel when hammering it. Both (rear) wheels have 28 spokes and my weight is 170lbs (down from 195lbs.) So I'd advise you to get the higher spoke count on the Zipp 404 for sprinting.
Old 12-29-13, 10:58 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I have the G3 laced to a Enve .4 (3.4).. its a fine hub. Mine did indeed weigh 325g on the dot.
Old 12-30-13, 01:00 AM
KantoBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a PT last year. Did you ask yourself "Am I ready to use these wheels for racing and training?"

I got annoyed with switching tires/cassettes/wheelsets. Fixed that problem with a P2M PM this season.
Old 12-30-13, 02:19 PM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I recently made an order for a set of Zipp 404 FC Clinchers with G3 and after doing some research (should have done it beforehand) I've found that these do not come from zipp but rather from a custom wheel builder, wheelbuilder.com to be exact. So I have a few questions for you guys.

* How will the stiffness of the wheel rate with the G3 over the original 188/V9 hub that zipp has?

I've heard that handbuilt wheels are often much better than what comes from the zipp factory and really hope this holds true. I am not too concerned with the extra weight (considering it is in the hub) but I am concerned with stiffness. I am training to be a fairly strong sprinter and would not like a flexy wheel holding me back.

I can still change the order since they are placing it tomorrow and I can be there before they open. The other option was the Enve SES 6.7 combo but it was a little more expensive with the same hub and slightly heavier.

Thanks,
Luis
It is entirely possible that the wheel you get built by wheelbuilder.com as opposed to directly from zipp will actually be a higher quality build.

Others already answered the weight difference question, but to address your question about stiffness, it is likely the G3-based wheel will NOT be quite as stiff as the stock 188 build because the 188 zipp hub has a significantly wider bracing angle on the drive side, which results directly in greater stiffness.

If you're ordering custom from wheelbuilder, it would make sense to do one of two things:
1) ask for the 24h option instead of a 20h for the rear wheel. The 4 additional spokes will not only boost durability but also stiffness
2) request thicker spokes on the drive side of the wheel. One excellent option is the DT Aero Comp - still aero shaped and doesn't require slotting to get it in the hub holes, but it has about 40% more cross sectional area compare to the CX-Ray or Aerolite spokes it would replace.

You could leave the front wheel a 16h with CX-Ray spokes. It's plenty stiff as-is.
Old 12-30-13, 05:15 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KantoBoy
I had a PT last year. Did you ask yourself "Am I ready to use these wheels for racing and training?"

I got annoyed with switching tires/cassettes/wheelsets. Fixed that problem with a P2M PM this season.
I believe I am. I've been training with power for about 5 months now and have the Quarq on the Roubaix so I wont be switching wheels on the Venge.

Originally Posted by nhluhr
It is entirely possible that the wheel you get built by wheelbuilder.com as opposed to directly from zipp will actually be a higher quality build.

Others already answered the weight difference question, but to address your question about stiffness, it is likely the G3-based wheel will NOT be quite as stiff as the stock 188 build because the 188 zipp hub has a significantly wider bracing angle on the drive side, which results directly in greater stiffness.

If you're ordering custom from wheelbuilder, it would make sense to do one of two things:
1) ask for the 24h option instead of a 20h for the rear wheel. The 4 additional spokes will not only boost durability but also stiffness
2) request thicker spokes on the drive side of the wheel. One excellent option is the DT Aero Comp - still aero shaped and doesn't require slotting to get it in the hub holes, but it has about 40% more cross sectional area compare to the CX-Ray or Aerolite spokes it would replace.

You could leave the front wheel a 16h with CX-Ray spokes. It's plenty stiff as-is.
The build that comes directly from power tap comes with CX spokes on a 24 hole rear hub. I think they lace them differently on purpose for added stiffness. The front comes with 18h. I wonder if they use a non pm power tap hub on the front or they leave the zipp... maybe they just buy the hoops and then do the rest on their own.

https://www.powertap.com/collections/...p-404-wheelset
Old 12-30-13, 05:19 PM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The build that comes directly from power tap comes with CX spokes on a 24 hole rear hub.
Ah, that's right. I had forgotten that all the Zipp wheels were coming 24/18 now for 2014 models.
Old 12-30-13, 06:05 PM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wheelbuilder builds great custom wheels, has great customer service and stands behind their work. I have two custom sets of Enves from them and am very satisfied with the build quality. Check out their website ... they have quite a laundry list of top amateur riders and teams they provide wheelsets to. No worries .... you will be happy with your wheelset.