Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for bike wheel rim lube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Recommendations for bike wheel rim lube

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-23, 03:25 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Often a too tight tire (which won't seat well) will be less problematic after some miles ridded at pressure. But life is full of uncertainty and tire seating is one such example. If you absolutely need a tire to seat well before you continue your ride chose one that seats when newly mounted. Andy
That's the pragmatic solution. But I just got these new tyres and they feel great and the grip is brilliant …
Old 09-26-23, 04:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
No, I'm talking about the way some people insist that "it's easy, just do this, no need for that".

See what I mean? Maybe you've not fitted many tyres, maybe you've been lucky, maybe you're that guy that does one-finger push-ups …
That's not an actual answer. Please enlighten us all - explain how tire levers might possibly be needed to correct the situation pictured. Or how tire levers ever come into play after you've got the tire over the rim, except maybe to remove the tire later on.

Have you ever changed a tire? Notice how loose it is on the rim until you inflate it? That's when you align the bead seat line with the rim, with your hands. It doesn't take any strength at all. The only tools needed are opposable thumbs, and a pump to inflate the tire afterwards.

Try it. Go let the air out of one of your tires. Notice that the tire is now loose on the rim and can easily be repositioned. Now do you see why tire levers would never be needed?
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 09-26-23, 04:46 AM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
The restrictions on "baby powder" is because it's made to be applied directly to skin, so it falls under the FDA.
The FDA hasn't banned it. The Johnson&Johnson suit has scared everyone off. I wanted real talc, found it in the off-brands for a few years, but it's disappeared.

The stuff sold specifically as Tire Talc is still the same old "toxic" talcum powder.
If it really has asbestos in it it's toxic to breathe.

vailable at most auto supply stores, and of course Amazon.
Not at Auto Zone.
Old 09-26-23, 05:48 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
..... I wanted real talc, found it in the off-brands for a few years, but it's disappeared.

If it really has asbestos in it it's toxic to breathe.

Not at Auto Zone.
It's on O'Reilly's web site at least - I didn't check any others. In any event, real talc is still being sold labeled as Tire Talc. The expectation is that people who are using it are doing so in a well-ventilated area and wearing gloves - the warning label on the back says don't breathe it or let it come into contact with skin.

I bought mine from Amazon.
Old 09-26-23, 10:15 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 345 Posts
That's not an actual answer. Please enlighten us all - explain how tire levers might possibly be needed to correct the situation pictured.
Show me where I stated that they might.
Old 09-26-23, 04:52 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
deflate

spray with glass cleaner

overinflate by 25%