Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Ultra distance tire size choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 12:54 PM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Ultra distance tire size choices

There seems to be a trend towards wider tires for localized randonneuring, at least that’s my impression from what I read. My personal experience is very limited as I can’t get to group events very easily so I don’t often see what people are riding. However, when one looks at the tire sizes on bikes used in Ultra distance events, they all seem to be 25 & 28mm wide. If the wider tires offer such an advantage, why do the top riders in these events roll on 25 and 28mm tires?
Old 05-27-19, 06:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
what events are you talking about? RAAM?
Old 05-27-19, 08:25 PM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Events such as the Trans Continental, Indi- Pac, Trans Am.

I believe Mike Hall rode around the world on 28’s as well.
Old 05-27-19, 08:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by XXLHardrock
There seems to be a trend towards wider tires for localized randonneuring, at least that’s my impression from what I read. My personal experience is very limited as I can’t get to group events very easily so I don’t often see what people are riding. However, when one looks at the tire sizes on bikes used in Ultra distance events, they all seem to be 25 & 28mm wide. If the wider tires offer such an advantage, why do the top riders in these events roll on 25 and 28mm tires?
The fact that you're talking about 25-28mm tires and not 20-23mm tires is indicative of the progress being made against the "skinny tires are faster" myth.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-27-19, 08:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by XXLHardrock
If the wider tires offer such an advantage, why do the top riders in these events roll on 25 and 28mm tires?
The case for wider tires is far more subtle than this, and this explains your confusion. You can go read Jan Heine's blog for more explanation. The short version is that high quality wider tires are more comfortable and don't slow you down for long distance riding.

when I first started randonneuring, I counted on people riding 19 and 23mm tires to have flats so I could have someone to ride with

I suspect there are people riding bigger tires in those races, maybe not 650bx44mm. Someone go to the start of TABR with a caliper. Seems to me that a lot of the people on TABR are riding all-road bikes, and it would be a little weird to put 28mm tires on a bike like that.

I am randonneuring on 32mm tires now. Got tired of pinch flats. I have 40mm tires on another bike that I use for randonneuring, I'm still trying to tell if they are slowing me down or not. So far it seems like they don't
Old 05-27-19, 09:08 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I spent most of tens of thousands of miles on 23c Axial Pros, and while I loved how they felt, insofar as getting power to the ground and general handling, on an aluminum 'cross bike riding over chip and seal roads, a wider tire would have been far more comfortable. But, we were all convinced that narrow and high pressure were the way to go.

Jake's getting 32s for a bit.