Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Indoor trainers**********

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 05-06-20, 08:13 AM
scribble79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am thinking of getting an indoor trainer to try and work on injury repair/adjustment vs out riding around. The reason I am thinking of a trainer is so that I won't mash the pedals but instead just spin for a longer period at a decent maybe I am not thinking correctly.
I went for a ride last evening and only made it 3 miles before my leg was toast. I didn't have my cadence monitor hooked up but my average speed was 11.15 mph for the 15 min I was out and the elevations in my area about 85-100 ft changes the area all over the town were I ride. I also haven't really done any exercise in the past 6 years and no riding in the past 6 as well.
Old 05-06-20, 09:50 AM
SlvrDragon50

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I don't think a trainer is really going to offer you anything that biking outdoors won't unless you are looking to tune the bike fit.
Old 05-06-20, 11:19 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Trainer

I understand the interest in a trainer.
I've recently returned to cycling aged 56 after many years sitting at a desk.

Quick explanation of Power.....: "FTP" is the maximum amount of power (measured in Watts) you can put put out for one hour.
Go over your FTP Watt rating and your legs tire extremely quickly.

So, although my FTP has increased over the past 6 months, Strava estimates me as only 135W (no jokes please).
Problem is, the hills around here take 240W - 480W to climb them.
Hit a few of these hills and my legs tire quickly.
The current gearing on my bike adds to the issue. I am currently in process of changing my 11-28 cassette to a 11-32 in order to gain an advantage on these hills.

A trainer will allow you better control the amount of effort (power) required to ride your bike.
Trainers with adjustable resistance come in manually controlled or electronically controlled.

I have a Smart Trainer (electronically controlled) and like its ERG mode.
In ERG mode I can set the Watt number I'd like to maintain, and pedal at whatever cadence I'd like (or can achieve).
If I pedal slow, it is hard to push the pedals.
If I pedal fast it is easy to push the pedals.
But both speeds still maintain the same constant Wattage output from me.

Yesterday I did a virtual 10 mile ride at an ERG controlled constant 120W.
Today I'll try the same ride at a constant 125W.

Apparently this kind of training is good for improving Endurance.
To improve FTP I will need to be exceeding my 135W in intervals.

I hope this helps you understand how a trainer can help.

The other benefit of a Smart Trainer is the ability to hook it to a computer (I use an Apple TV) and ride while watching where you are going on TV.
There are several software programs (mostly paid) that allow this.
As the TV image goes up hill, the Smart Trainer simulates that by making it harder for you to pedal.
It makes for a less boring time on the trainer. I enjoy virtually biking all over the world in full 4K video on a big screen TV.
At times I become so immersed I try to lean around corners 8-)

All the best

Barry
Old 05-06-20, 01:33 PM
scribble79

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there differences when companies list "smart trainers". When I look at them it looks like they just use fluid or magnetic s and there is no controlled resistance just your speed of the rear wheel?
Old 05-06-20, 02:08 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
OK now you are getting into the type of trainer.
Resistance can be provided by fluid, Permanent magnets, or electronically controlled electromagnet.
I think you will find most (if not all) Smart Trainers use electronically controlled electromagnets for resistance control.

I own a Wahoo product and I will give Wahoo examples of the following types.
Bear in mind cost, the examples below vary from $500 to $3,500
A Smart Trainer is a serious investment.

WHEEL ON
You take your entire outside bike, lock the entire bike into the trainer and the rear wheel runs on a roller.
Wahoo Kickr Snap

DIRECT DRIVE / WHEEL OFF
You take your bike and remove the rear wheel. Lock your outside bike into the trainer. The trainer has a cassette that is driven by your chain
Wahoo Kickr
Wahoo Kickr Core

STANDALONE
No no outside bike required. The trainer has it's own saddle, bars, and drive train.
Wahoo Kickr Bike

All the best

Barry
Old 05-06-20, 03:46 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
OR, he could buy a set of old-school rollers and work on developing a smooth pedal stroke (no mashing). There are resistance units available - either wind, fluid or magnetic, that can be used in conjunction with rollers. Also, a front fork mount for the beginner is available for most rollers so balancing is not as critical.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...and-a-trainer/
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 05-06-20, 04:30 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,559 Times in 3,763 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to Indoor Cycling.
Old 05-06-20, 04:44 PM
SlvrDragon50

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scribble79
Is there differences when companies list "smart trainers". When I look at them it looks like they just use fluid or magnetic s and there is no controlled resistance just your speed of the rear wheel?
As someone who briefly had a fluid trainer which broke (it was used, I'm not blaming the trainer), go direct drive smart trainer if you can afford it. It makes riding on a trainer SOOOOOOOOOO much better. I can't imagine going back to a fluid trainer. The Saris H3 is a fantastic buy right now. I wouldn't hesitate getting it.
Likes For SlvrDragon50:
Old 05-07-20, 11:00 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I take spin class. I think your stats sound about right for an indoor class. It depends on what you want - for me - I'm happy to pedal in a dark room with fun music. Is that what you want or do you want to go places & see things? Indoor cycling is very different than outdoor cycling.