Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ergon GP3 Grips - any advice/experience?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-06-20, 03:02 PM
Gaarci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hello - NOOB question here - I am considering changing out my stock grips with Ergon GP3 grips - these look to molded to fit the hand and seem like they would be much more comfortable than my regular bike grips that came with my Schwinn DSB bike which are not very comfortable at all - but I have never changed out grips on a bike before and don't know how difficult the process would be - thank you!
Old 05-06-20, 03:33 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I have the Ergon GP2 and they are flat feakin AWESOME! Excellent wrist support and additional positioning helps
To remove old grips: take your thinnest allen wrench and, if you need the assist, isopropyl alchohol. Insert allen between grip and bar, lean bike handle a bit downward, and dribble/splash in a little alcohol. Keeping allen in, rotate gently around, then twist off the grip (should be easier now).

When putting on the Ergons, place the cap end on the grip before putting grip on the bar. Slide onto the bar till the cap end just starts to back out of the grip. Push the cap end into the bar. Holding one palm against the cap, push the grip back, all the way, against the cap. It will now be exactly at the end of your bar. Rotate where you want and tighten.

On my commuter....
​​​​​​

Be sure to get the right grips according to your shifters (grip shift/trigger shifters).

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 05-06-20 at 03:42 PM.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-06-20, 05:05 PM
SlvrDragon50

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaarci
Hello - NOOB question here - I am considering changing out my stock grips with Ergon GP3 grips - these look to molded to fit the hand and seem like they would be much more comfortable than my regular bike grips that came with my Schwinn DSB bike which are not very comfortable at all - but I have never changed out grips on a bike before and don't know how difficult the process would be - thank you!
They are very comfy! Changing the grips can be super easy or super painful, all a matter of luck. Above instructions are very good.
Likes For SlvrDragon50:
Old 05-06-20, 09:28 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Ergon GP3 grips are excellent - have had them on a number of bikes.
Old 05-07-20, 06:50 AM
Gaarci

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
I have the Ergon GP2 and they are flat feakin AWESOME! Excellent wrist support and additional positioning helps
To remove old grips: take your thinnest allen wrench and, if you need the assist, isopropyl alchohol. Insert allen between grip and bar, lean bike handle a bit downward, and dribble/splash in a little alcohol. Keeping allen in, rotate gently around, then twist off the grip (should be easier now).

When putting on the Ergons, place the cap end on the grip before putting grip on the bar. Slide onto the bar till the cap end just starts to back out of the grip. Push the cap end into the bar. Holding one palm against the cap, push the grip back, all the way, against the cap. It will now be exactly at the end of your bar. Rotate where you want and tighten.

On my commuter....
​​​​​​

Be sure to get the right grips according to your shifters (grip shift/trigger shifters).
Thanks for that excellent advice and tutorial - I used that system you suggested and installed the grips - you're right - they are fantastic - thanks!
Old 05-11-20, 08:33 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I have GP3's on my commuter / former touring bike. Best grips I have ever had.
Old 05-15-20, 07:31 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Best I can give is use an air compressor if you have one. The air will make taking your old grips off super easy.