Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Selling the house and touring full time?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Selling the house and touring full time?

Old 09-03-19, 10:29 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
OP, try a 1-2 month summer tour when the kids aren't in school for starters. Might give a good feel for what you seek. Without going full on life change. Think about say a one or 2 month tour every summer for say 5 years? Thats would get you lots of travel. Just a thought.
They are home schooled so just taking it on the road...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 09-03-19, 10:52 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
While I've considered just living on the road with my bike, unfortunately just having a bike seems too limiting. While stealth camping is sometimes an option it isn't always, so you need to plan your route careful around camping or conventional accommodations (hotel/motel, B&B, etc.).

In 6 years I'll be 55. I can't access my IRA until I'm 60 and will have a pension when I'm 65. If I sell my house when I'm 55 I will probably get enough money that I can live off of until I'm 60. From age 55-60 I'm thinking about getting a cargo van, making a simple, stealth camper van out of it, and traveling during those 5 years. I know it's fashionable, but it's something I've been thinking about doing for awhile.

While I like the idea of living off a bike, a van just seems more feasible and comfortable. A discreet camper van can be parked overnight almost anywhere, so it gives you way more flexibility. It's also more comfortable to sleep in than bike camping, so seems better for the long-term.

Then again when I'm 55 maybe the idea won't appeal to anymore so who knows?

Last edited by AlanK; 06-19-20 at 02:34 PM.
Likes For AlanK:
Old 09-04-19, 07:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK

While I like the idea of living off a bike, a van just seems more feasible and comfortable. A discreet camper van can be parked overnight almost anywhere, so it gives you way flexibility. It's also more comfortable to sleep in than bike camping, so seems better for the long-term.

Then again when I'm 55 maybe the idea won't appeal to anymore so who knows?
Even many Walmarts allow you to sleep in an RV, etc., while parked in the lot, at least out west. They see it as good for business.

I will be 55 in March. If you are anything like me, I idea will appeal to you more as you age.

Twenty years ago I spent nearly 4 months on the road bike touring. It was my first ever tour, so everything was exciting and new. The following year I did two seven-week tours with a three week break at "home" (flopping with mom) in between. No so exciting and new. Later on during the second of those two I found myself not wanting to ride every day or only wanting to do short distances. It fun to romanticize about hitting the road and living on a bike, but I think it takes a special sort of character to truly enjoy it. I often wonder whether I could do it again for months.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-04-19, 09:31 AM
AlanK

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Even many Walmarts allow you to sleep in an RV, etc., while parked in the lot, at least out west. They see it as good for business.

I will be 55 in March. If you are anything like me, I idea will appeal to you more as you age.

Twenty years ago I spent nearly 4 months on the road bike touring. It was my first ever tour, so everything was exciting and new. The following year I did two seven-week tours with a three week break at "home" (flopping with mom) in between. No so exciting and new. Later on during the second of those two I found myself not wanting to ride every day or only wanting to do short distances. It fun to romanticize about hitting the road and living on a bike, but I think it takes a special sort of character to truly enjoy it. I often wonder whether I could do it again for months.
That could be as well. The older I get the more I consider the inherently finite nature of life. And as is oft the case as I get older I value time more than money since we only get a limited amount of time but can always get more money while we're alive.

Yes, the sad reality is that an extensive unsupported bike tour is probably for the young or at least relatively young. When I get into my 50s it probably won't appeal to me as much. Living in van I can be as active as necessary to remain healthy and won't be compelled to bike every day or almost every day.
Old 09-04-19, 09:46 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Old 09-04-19, 09:49 AM
AlanK

Originally Posted by alan s
Yup, that's what I tell people. I'll be livin' in a van down by the river!
Old 09-06-19, 01:20 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
A grand idea to sell it all and take the family on the road. Sounds like it could be fun, tiring, very trying, and a good experience for the right child. Be certain all of the children are able to cope with the nomad lifestyle, and able to thrive in it.
Old 06-19-20, 02:39 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
A grand idea to sell it all and take the family on the road. Sounds like it could be fun, tiring, very trying, and a good experience for the right child. Be certain all of the children are able to cope with the nomad lifestyle, and able to thrive in it.
Let's revive it!

I'm single and childless, so that will never be a concern. I can't imagine living on the road with a family for months or years. It seems awful. If a couple gets along well that seems doable but not with kids; that seems awful.

Last edited by AlanK; 06-27-20 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For AlanK:
Old 06-26-20, 11:56 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Maybe 8 more years and we will be kid free and can retire.

at that point We’re going to downsize significantly and probably get an a RV style camper van and tour the US and bring the bikes. We will bike the areas we want and drive the areas we want.

heck, technology might be good enough by than the Van can drop us off at point A and pick us up at point B so we can bike one way!
Old 06-27-20, 07:56 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
Let's revive it!

I'll single and childless, so that will never be a concern. I can't imagine living on the road with a family for months or years. It seems awful. If a couple gets along well that seems doable but not with kids; that seems awful.
I did not read the entire thread so perhaps this was mentioned, but what about education for the children?

This running away from it all sounds like something for a very young single person.

My Father and his wife travel a lot, none of it cycling (She can't ride a bike). They worked, saved, made plenty of money, and now in their 70's travel.

I would find this tiring. Seeing interesting natural environments would be neat. Traveling to them is another story.

And people.........
Old 06-27-20, 09:16 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Education would be Home Schooling and up to the parents to provide. That is likely a state thing, so, issues of residence might apply.

Here, in Georgia, there is an online site with the standards and examples for parents.
Old 06-27-20, 10:47 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I did not read the entire thread so perhaps this was mentioned, but what about education for the children?

This running away from it all sounds like something for a very young single person.

My Father and his wife travel a lot, none of it cycling (She can't ride a bike). They worked, saved, made plenty of money, and now in their 70's travel.

I would find this tiring. Seeing interesting natural environments would be neat. Traveling to them is another story.

And people.........
Srsly? The Op mentioned they home school in post1.

FWIW, my father worked hard, saved his money, got sick and died before his retirement date. You roll the dice and takes your chances.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 06-27-20, 12:51 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Srsly? The Op mentioned they home school in post1.

FWIW, my father worked hard, saved his money, got sick and died before his retirement date. You roll the dice and takes your chances.
Home school by who?

Rolling the dice might be your way of doing things, but that does not work for many,
Old 06-27-20, 01:01 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I was going to do this, but they threw my bus under the bus.

Old 06-27-20, 01:01 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Besides, what could possibly go wrong with such plans, mid-pandemic?
Old 06-27-20, 01:03 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
If you and your spouse are on the same page, why not? At the end of the day, what you have in life that is worth having are the memories and that goes for your kids as well.

I was listening to this as I worked on a bike earlier today:

Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-27-20, 01:07 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
RVs will likely go on sale next year; right now they're selling like hotcakes.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-27-20, 07:16 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by wgscott
Just Roll The Dice........
Old 06-27-20, 07:30 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Home school by who?

Rolling the dice might be your way of doing things, but that does not work for many,
Home schooling is done by parents usually. As in this case wherein the parents are taking their own kids that they already home school.This was all explained early on.

The dice reference was in response to the example you gave of your father who worked and saved all his life and now travels in his 70's. It's great that his plan worked out for him but... putting off things until you retire is a gamble because you may not be able to do them when that time comes.

Ie. You roll the dice that you will be able. Renal dialysis, stroke, insulin dependent diabetes, heart problems, grand children, disabled spouse or child, Parkinson, early onset dementia, Huntington, falling off a ladder, arthritis...

One thing I have learned is that, if you take some time mid stream, to do the things you dream of, the jobs and obligations will still be there either way.

I imagine more people regret not following a dream while they were able than the time they could have spent working for that period instead.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 06-27-20 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 11:50 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
One thing I have learned is that, if you take some time mid stream, to do the things you dream of, the jobs and obligations will still be there either way.

I imagine more people regret not following a dream while they were able than the time they could have spent working for that period instead.
+1

I am reminded of that during the current pandemic.

In 2016, I quit my job, put everything in storage and took off for an 18-month trip. Some months prior to departure, I was tempted to defer for a year (2017) since work schedules had been delayed and our long awaited product was coming to market later. However, that likely meant delay for two years (2018) since I was also synchronizing with a TDA trip in South America that gave me additional options. Then TDA changed timing of their trip to go every three years so it would have been a 2019 departure. So if I had left in 2019, I would have been in Central America when the pandemic errupted and most borders closed. Not sure when they might open now, but yet more delays... So I'm happy now that I went when I did because that dream delayed could have been cancelled.

In 2007, I cycled across Russia and a year later visa rules changed that wouldn't have allowed my to spend half a year continuous in the country.

In 2013, I cycled across Africa with TDA. The next year tour had to skip the month we spent in Ethiopia because of unrest in that country.

In 2000, I had plans to spend the following year cycling (2001) around Australia among other places. I was offered a promotion if I was willing to delay my trip. I thought long and hard and came back the next day saying I wasn't going to delay - but would do whatever to help the group. The next week, they came back to offer me the promotion/job anyways because I was the best candidate.

Over the past 20+ years I am grateful for opportunity to have taken four of those years total on extended cycling trips. A sequence of events would have tempted me to delay in several of those trips. Looking back, such delays could easily have compounded into further delays or not being able to do the same type/duration of trip. I am not as strong a cyclist as I was 20 years before, so happy to have taken opportunities along the way - and intend to do the same going forward...
Likes For mev:
Old 06-28-20, 12:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
@ 64 I finally bought a house , as a tenant without much stuff putting it into storage was moderately simple ..

Now the Pods system would have made it possible to have it all shipped, if I did not want to come back..
Old 06-28-20, 08:54 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I still intend to take off, even though my wife is staying home. She is not fond of me going for an indefinite tour. I have my camper half built, have ordered the ebike front hub, for my bike. Will do a fair few shake down trips, until I am sure everything works. I need to do this tour, for my sanity. Escaping society, is the main reason I am going. Taking my dog, he is with me on all my trips. Not that is any of you guys business, but I can't seem to get rid of an particular memory of what happen during a certain incident in my service( army). So need to leave society for a fair while. A bit of escapism, will be spending a lot of time just hunkered down deep in the bush. I also see age causing issues, as am 60, and every year it is harder to ride. Have done long trips before. Should have done this many years ago when one was fitter.
Old 06-29-20, 10:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts

I volunteered to be downsized in the wake of a corporate acquisition. That was in 1999, after I had recently turned 34. Ended up taking three extended tours during the next two years, including my first, which was across the USA and then some.

Two years to the day after my departure I basically got my old job back. Funny how things can work out if you take a chance.
Old 07-12-20, 08:13 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
@ riverdrifter

So what did you do?

We never did anything quite as adventurous as you are thinking though I think it is totally doable. Both parents need to be on board 100%. Practice tours to get a feel for your kids potential.

My wife, while adventurous would never agree. We raised 3 kids, traveled in North America extensively while they were young. We usually rented a van, filled it with camping gear and headed out often for 4 weeks or more. We almost always camped/backpacked never bike toured but did bike. I could have easily gone for extended periods like this, my wife not so much. But I can tell you this early style of travel planted wanderlust in all of my children. They (on their own) have traveled to every continent visiting many countries while camping, backpacking, hostels etc. They travel light, travel long and have had a most enjoyable life. 2 of the 3 are now settling down, still traveling but less so and living with significant others.

In conclusion I feel we must have done something right as they seem very content in life, still have some wanderlust but also an appreciation for their local community, family and friends.

Whatever route you choose, as there are many ways to raise children, you give it your all and keep a smile.