Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 09-18-20, 09:15 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Seems there's a lot of that going on. I bought a Honda Passport three weeks ago to tow our Ridge Runner. We're heading up to Asheville this weekend to spend a week in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Old 09-18-20, 11:34 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Been reading some awesome things about the passport but it's likely way too big for my needs.
Hell I think my TL is too big but my biggest qualm is that the rear seats won't fold down.

Hard to complain about getting a car as a hand me down though!
Old 09-18-20, 11:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Kensuf, let me know when you'll be in Asheville. My wife works up there, so I am there a lot.
Old 09-18-20, 12:21 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Looking forward to getting the trailer in November. Got one of the last ones allocated. RV places are making bank these days. Gear up for the big sell off on the backside of this.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 09-18-20, 12:54 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Gear up for the big sell off on the backside of this.
That's a good thought. I'm hoping to upgrade to a smart trainer (or smartbike) on the cheap after it all ends and people realize they don't use them. Not that I don't like my homemade motion rollers setup with powertab hub, but I'd like controlled resistance.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-18-20, 01:14 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Kensuf, let me know when you'll be in Asheville. My wife works up there, so I am there a lot.
Sunday.
Old 09-19-20, 06:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Darn. My wife is heading back on Sunday, but I'll be at home until the first of October.
Old 09-19-20, 03:24 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
We had an RV for 2 years, wanted to use it on the weekends so we could park at the beach and go surfing. Unfortunately, its not like TV where you're alone on the beach with no one for miles. Its hard to even get a spot in RV parks near the beach, and I can't tell you how many times we were stuck with neighbors fighting late at night. Of course, that is probably more a California issue, with our dense population and everyone packing on to the beach on the weekends.
Old 09-19-20, 06:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
We had an RV for 2 years, wanted to use it on the weekends so we could park at the beach and go surfing. Unfortunately, its not like TV where you're alone on the beach with no one for miles. Its hard to even get a spot in RV parks near the beach, and I can't tell you how many times we were stuck with neighbors fighting late at night. Of course, that is probably more a California issue, with our dense population and everyone packing on to the beach on the weekends.
Ever go to Jalama Beach? It's kinda remote, twisty road 15 miles off Hwy 1, 15 miles from the tunnel/junction with Hwy 101 above Goleta. Years ago it had nothing but a tiny store and you could always get a spot during the week. There are miles of beach up to Vandenberg AFB and the campground is the only access.
It's been discovered, expanded, and the store has a kitchen now. Last time I went there we had to get in line for a spot, leave and sleep somewhere else, then come back the next day to wait for a spot. We stayed for 2 weeks, I had a truck camper and a bunch of my friends came, too. Even with the "crowding" it's still awesome.

I spent New Year's Eve there in Y2K. I was with my ex then and some people set up a huge tent with a bar and music and my wife got drunk and sick. Good times.
Old 09-19-20, 06:33 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
We looked forever to find a cabin in the Poconos or similar area for later this fall, and almost every single one was in some sort of community, with lakes and gyms and tennis courts and all that. And the vast majority were no more a cabin than our house is. If you're in a development and have vinyl siding and drywall, I'm sorry, it's not a cabin, even if you're in the mountains. That's just called a house.

We just want a place in the woods, quiet, dark, have a fire, walk in the woods, maybe use the telescope,

We found one that was close enough, but still not exactly what we wanted. It's crazy. Why do people like going to places where all the other people already are? I want to go on vacation to get the **** away from people
Old 09-24-20, 03:29 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Busiest I've been in a while. Work has really picked up, I hired a tutor for my Spanish, have a ton of house projects on a deadline, 'training' (not sure I can call it that now since all I do is z2/z3), and a side project. There are days I wake up and don't stop until I go to bed. Its definitely not sustainable, but I also make sure I get my breaks, and I do enjoy most of it, but right now its all really stressful.

At the end of the day, its mostly self imposed stress over hobbies I've rationalized into obligations (which they're not). Once the home projects end I should be okay, these are the 'prestigious' people in my wives' family, so she really wants our home at a standard we're probably not going to hit.

Originally Posted by big john
Ever go to Jalama Beach? It's kinda remote, twisty road 15 miles off Hwy 1, 15 miles from the tunnel/junction with Hwy 101 above Goleta. Years ago it had nothing but a tiny store and you could always get a spot during the week. There are miles of beach up to Vandenberg AFB and the campground is the only access.
It's been discovered, expanded, and the store has a kitchen now. Last time I went there we had to get in line for a spot, leave and sleep somewhere else, then come back the next day to wait for a spot. We stayed for 2 weeks, I had a truck camper and a bunch of my friends came, too. Even with the "crowding" it's still awesome.

I spent New Year's Eve there in Y2K. I was with my ex then and some people set up a huge tent with a bar and music and my wife got drunk and sick. Good times.
Nope, that's really far, especially in an RV, highest we went was Ventura.
Old 09-24-20, 03:48 PM
Flatballer
No matches

We have a home office reno that's been on hold for like 1.5 months while we went on vacation and then got lazy.

I have a generator installation half done, we want to get a gas fireplace for the fall...

It's a lot. At least we don't have a deadline like you.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 09-24-20, 04:16 PM
big john

Originally Posted by furiousferret

Nope, that's really far, especially in an RV, highest we went was Ventura.
Mapquest says 4 hours. Some of the other beach campgrounds are nice but what I like about Jalama is the remoteness. Leo Carillo is nice because you have easy access to some of the best road riding in Southern California or some pretty great mountain bike trails.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-25-20, 09:47 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I got a new Kickr Monday. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my promotions for a free month of Zwift, Sufferfest, Trainerroad, and other apps. In the meantime I did my first of what I assume will be many 2x20s. I targeted sweet spot by exertion letting power be what it was and oh boy was it low. I'm definitely going to have to do a separate ftp test on the trainer to gauge the difference from road. Also, I have a lasko blower on order to help with cooling.
Likes For cmh:
Old 09-25-20, 03:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,571 Posts
yep, I'm def. not hitting the same numbers indoors vs road. The interaction nature of the apps helps but not a ton. My best 20 min so far on Zwift is like 4.4 w/kg or something, compared to a 5.0 outdoor 20 min I did in April or May.

Overheating makes a big diff. I'm also using a lasko big fan on the floor, but might get a smaller, powerful focused on for the desk so I can aim it at my head.
Old 09-26-20, 11:17 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
yep, I'm def. not hitting the same numbers indoors vs road. The interaction nature of the apps helps but not a ton. My best 20 min so far on Zwift is like 4.4 w/kg or something, compared to a 5.0 outdoor 20 min I did in April or May.

Overheating makes a big diff. I'm also using a lasko big fan on the floor, but might get a smaller, powerful focused on for the desk so I can aim it at my head.
Aren't you better off raising your bars a ton for zwift races? With bars up high your breathing etc would be easier no? Aero doesn't matter at all for the simulation because it's not like it scans your frontal area.
Old 09-26-20, 11:42 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I know I find myself sitting completely up while on long climbs to use different muscles. Lean back to stretch sometimes. Wouldn't do that in a race.
Old 09-27-20, 10:17 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Aren't you better off raising your bars a ton for zwift races? With bars up high your breathing etc would be easier no? Aero doesn't matter at all for the simulation because it's not like it scans your frontal area.
yeah probably, but I'm too lazy to adjust things back on forth. I think that over the winter I might start to do some TT work on it, where I can expect a further reduction in power. Maybe I can do the regular Zwift Time Trial Tuesdays and be one of the few on an actual TT bike!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-28-20, 08:54 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
We watched the recaps of the UCI world road championships last night on YouTube. The summaries are very good. Chloe Dygart’s crash in the time trial was hard to watch. She was ahead in the TT by 26 seconds at the 1/2 way point. She came into a high speed right had turn and her Felt bike went into an oscillation - it was awful. She could not control the bike and crashed into the guard rail and she slid along the rail slicing her leg and then over the top. She is okay and expected to recover. If you have a Felt TT bike...beware.

Along with the men’s road race and time trial, they had equal coverage for the women. This was the most women’s pro racing I have watched since starting racing in 2008.
Old 09-28-20, 09:25 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Hermes
We watched the recaps of the UCI world road championships last night on YouTube. The summaries are very good. Chloe Dygart’s crash in the time trial was hard to watch. She was ahead in the TT by 26 seconds at the 1/2 way point. She came into a high speed right had turn and her Felt bike went into an oscillation - it was awful. She could not control the bike and crashed into the guard rail and she slid along the rail slicing her leg and then over the top. She is okay and expected to recover. If you have a Felt TT bike...beware.

Along with the men’s road race and time trial, they had equal coverage for the women. This was the most women’s pro racing I have watched since starting racing in 2008.
I heard she had a flat. Is that not true?
Old 09-28-20, 09:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I heard she had a flat. Is that not true?
In the slow motion video, it does not look like a flat but a violent oscillation. I cannot find any news reports on the cause.
Old 09-28-20, 09:44 AM
big john

In the slow motion video, it does not look like a flat but a violent oscillation. I cannot find any news reports on the cause.
I saw it, too, but I read somewhere she had a flat going into that turn. Maybe it was just someone speculating.
Old 09-28-20, 09:53 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I saw it, too, but I read somewhere she had a flat going into that turn. Maybe it was just someone speculating.
I would argue that independent of what caused the oscillation, flat or other, the result of the fork and frame going out of control is unacceptable. IMO, the failure mode and effect is something we need to understand to eliminate it reoccurring from that equipment combination and rider position. She looked rotated and forward on the bike which is okay until it is not.
Old 09-28-20, 10:00 AM
big john

I would argue that independent of what caused the oscillation, flat or other, the result of the fork and frame going out of control is unacceptable. IMO, the failure mode and effect is something we need to understand to eliminate it reoccurring from that equipment combination and rider position. She looked rotated and forward on the bike which is okay until it is not.
I agree with you. A friend who had that problem ended up selling the bike because no amount of wheel swapping or position tweaking would stop it. Others I know have had some shimmy but not enough to get rid of the bike.
I don't think any bike I ever had did that and if one ever did it would be hard to feel confident at speed again.
Old 09-28-20, 10:02 AM
Flatballer
No matches

The only bike I ever got a bad wobble that I couldn't solve by moving weight around had a loose headset.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.