Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is it silly to get excited over 40 year old wheels?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is it silly to get excited over 40 year old wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 10:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
That's the next important decision, what tubulars? This is my "Sunday go to church" bike now so they don't need to be a training, long wearing tubular. I want something supple and sexy and light. I'll probably wind up spending more on the wheels/tires than I did the whole bike, LOL!
My training cottons were Vittorias (usually), decently light and nice ribbed tread. Big step down from the Criterium Setas that had the "magic carpet" ride, but not shabby tires. I say Vittorias (usually) because I got them mail order from Palo Alto Cycles, the labels varied as did the tires somewhat but they were consistently good reliable tires and decent rides at a reasonable price and not hard to repair. I don't know this but the ribbed tread seemed to be a favorite, even trademark, of Vittoria and a tread that I came to love. (Never realized I loved it until the '80s when ribbed treads disappeared. Vittoria brought it back with their G+. First G+ ride and I got reminded how much I love that tread!)

For a Sunday go to church ride, I'd get a heavier Vittoria G+/G2.0 tire. Haven't ridden those in tubular but the "opens" are a great ride. When I go there (my Pacific NW required rim replacements will be to tubular) I'll go to those tires as my "best" and re-learn the always wiping the tread after glass and debris.

Edit: I say this and I've been hearing that the Veloflex (?) tires are better so we'll see.
Old 10-11-20, 11:59 AM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Jamesdak, you are not wrong.

I have the same affliction when it comes to shoeing a frame with the a proper set of wheels. Sure, there have been times when I approached a build in a completely utilitarian sense, using whatever I had on hand. The final result looks good, ok, fine, BUT! The feeling one gets when mating frame and components with the right set of wheels is extremely satisfying.

For me it's all about the wheels.

Your Opus III is a gem.
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Old 10-11-20, 03:53 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
... After searching my studio apartment for hours trying to find all of the springs, pawls and tiny bearing that shot out of it, I made a mental note to never do that again....
Peaceful thoughts, gentle music and those containers left from take out Chinese food are your friends. Like riding a bicycle - easy once you get the hang of it.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 10-11-20, 11:40 PM
spank226

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
fwiw, there's an Opus III for sale in San Diego for $300

https://offerup.com/item/detail/970014723/

Old 12-07-20, 08:26 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Getting back to this project again. Wheels are ready to go other than I need to pull the rear axle again and center it. I don't know why but it's way off to one side. I only removed the locknut and cone on the non-drive side when I serviced it but wasn't paying attention to the fact they came to me off center.

Otherwise I'm back to deciding on what tubulars. I'm pretty sure I'm going Veloflex as they are well priced and have served me well on my other bikes. Tan wall for sure although I wish someone made a darker sidewall like with the GP Classic clinchers on it right now. I keep hemming and hawing between 700 x 22, 700 x 23 and 700 x 25 versions. All about the same price and I don't know if it really matters in terms of which would fit "better on the 21mm wide rims. Decisions, decisions.......
Old 12-07-20, 08:41 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Getting back to this project again. Wheels are ready to go other than I need to pull the rear axle again and center it. I don't know why but it's way off to one side. I only removed the locknut and cone on the non-drive side when I serviced it but wasn't paying attention to the fact they came to me off center.

Otherwise I'm back to deciding on what tubulars. I'm pretty sure I'm going Veloflex as they are well priced and have served me well on my other bikes. Tan wall for sure although I wish someone made a darker sidewall like with the GP Classic clinchers on it right now. I keep hemming and hawing between 700 x 22, 700 x 23 and 700 x 25 versions. All about the same price and I don't know if it really matters in terms of which would fit "better on the 21mm wide rims. Decisions, decisions.......
Magnum Opus III.

I'd rather be excited about 40-year old bike wheels (and use them)....
... than get excited about 40-year old skateboard wheels and break several bones.

Yes. Tan walls. 22's.

That'll be $3.50
Check, money order, or Giordana.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-07-20 at 08:55 AM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-07-20, 08:52 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
@jamesdak - Since you already ride the Veloflex, I can understand sticking with what is familiar. My new go to tire is the Vittorio G+. My first exposure was with the clincher version, which wowed me comparted to the Pro 4 that was on before. So I bought a pair of tubulars and run them on the De Rosa
P1030570 on Flickr
Old 12-07-20, 09:22 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@jamesdak - Since you already ride the Veloflex, I can understand sticking with what is familiar. My new go to tire is the Vittorio G+. My first exposure was with the clincher version, which wowed me comparted to the Pro 4 that was on before. So I bought a pair of tubulars and run them on the De Rosa
P1030570 on Flickr
I've got a clincher set of those just waiting to go on the Olmo once that is built up. To be honest, a bit put off by how white the sidewalls are but am excited to see how they ride.
Old 12-07-20, 11:27 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
I've got a clincher set of those just waiting to go on the Olmo once that is built up. To be honest, a bit put off by how white the sidewalls are but am excited to see how they ride.
Like most gum walls, I expect they will yellow!