Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How many patches before you toss your tubes?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: When do you toss a tube?
After one patch - every gram matters!
21.88%
After two - they just start to look funny.
13.02%
After three - you have to draw the line somewhere.
14.58%
As soon as a patch has to overlap another patch.
28.65%
Never! My patches have patches!
21.88%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

How many patches before you toss your tubes?

Old 10-17-20, 07:18 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Screw you...everyone here is wrong and the mods are idiots and should be fired from their multi million dollar positions

I don't see a need to patch tubes, every time I do even the times where I take my time and am beyond meticulous (with different glues and patches) and they tend to fail . Maybe if I started using tub glue and slices of old tubes it might hold better but honestly I am not in such dire straights that even an $8 tube once and a while will kill me financially. I mean the concept is fine and I carry patches just in case I can get lucky but I would rather just swap the tube it is more work to patch than to replace.
Vegan, you were too fast, I was going to insult CF also.

dont know what you're doing with your patching techniques, I have probably ten year old patches working fine. Just following the straightforward steps of light sanding the same area space as patch, putting on glue that covers a bit more than patch size and letting dry completely in 5 mins or less, then pushing patch firmly on, rolling out any air and holding tightly for a few mins , and thats it.
Old 10-17-20, 09:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Screw you...everyone here is wrong and the mods are idiots and should be fired from their multi million dollar positions

I don't see a need to patch tubes, every time I do even the times where I take my time and am beyond meticulous (with different glues and patches) and they tend to fail . Maybe if I started using tub glue and slices of old tubes it might hold better but honestly I am not in such dire straights that even an $8 tube once and a while will kill me financially. I mean the concept is fine and I carry patches just in case I can get lucky but I would rather just swap the tube it is more work to patch than to replace.
(Scratches head) Using the ubiquitous REMA patchkits purchased this millennia, I have a close to 100% success doing nothing very rigorously. I do try to keep greasy hands away from the repair area and do a reasonable sanding job. Two coats of glue letting dry probably not enough time. I don't remove the clear plastic figuring it protects the patch from sticking to the tire. (Most of my failures are clearly because I rushed the drying.)
Old 10-17-20, 10:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts

There’s your problem. Don’t use “different glues and patches”. Use Rema...glue and patches...and nothing else. Rema has chemistry on its side since it isn’t just “glue” but actually uses chemistry to form rubber bonds. Everything else is the equivalent of rubber cement and old tubes. And works about as well.

In the current market, patching is about the only way to go. New tubes are getting extremely rare in stores. Even the wholesalers are out of tubes, especially in 26” sizes. Even patch kits are difficult to find.

However, even without shortages, $8 is a bunch to spring on a flat. I have tubes that have as many as 25 patches on them. At $8 a pop, that $200...and I have multiple tubes with nearly that many holes. I have boxes of 100 Rema patches (two sizes) that cost me about $30. Glue costs me about $10 for that many patches, so $40 all in. 200 tubes at $8 each would cost me $1600. That’s a whole bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-17-20, 10:09 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
(Scratches head) Using the ubiquitous REMA patchkits purchased this millennia, I have a close to 100% success doing nothing very rigorously. I do try to keep greasy hands away from the repair area and do a reasonable sanding job. Two coats of glue letting dry probably not enough time. I don't remove the clear plastic figuring it protects the patch from sticking to the tire. (Most of my failures are clearly because I rushed the drying.)
Another REMA patch and glue user. I get them bulk from Amazon! The usual issue is insufficient sanding and seams on inferior tubes. The seams have to be sanded flat and the whole area sanded until the texture is completely changed from smooth to sanded. I use 80 grit wet-or-dry, not because I use water but because it's the longest lasting paper for this use. My business used a lot of sandpaper so I have about a ream of it in the supplies cabinet. Since I buy the patches in bulk, they don't come with paper. I save an old patch kit box for the REMA patches, glue, and my paper. Sounds rather elaborate, but never had a patch failure, never. My answer to the patch number question is either 6 or until the damage is too great to be fixed by one of the dime-sized REMA patches or it's a patch on a patch or a snake-bite. I always toss snake-bit tubes. IMO putting a too-large or double patch on a tube stretches the tube too much and might weaken it.

If one does a lot of riding, consumables do become an noticeable expense - brake pads, tubes, tires, lube, etc. Patches and glue are not a noticeable expense.
Old 10-17-20, 10:29 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Vegan, you were too fast, I was going to insult CF also.

dont know what you're doing with your patching techniques, I have probably ten year old patches working fine. Just following the straightforward steps of light sanding the same area space as patch, putting on glue that covers a bit more than patch size and letting dry completely in 5 mins or less, then pushing patch firmly on, rolling out any air and holding tightly for a few mins , and thats it.
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There’s your problem. Don’t use “different glues and patches”. Use Rema...glue and patches...and nothing else. Rema has chemistry on its side since it isn’t just “glue” but actually uses chemistry to form rubber bonds. Everything else is the equivalent of rubber cement and old tubes. And works about as well.

In the current market, patching is about the only way to go. New tubes are getting extremely rare in stores. Even the wholesalers are out of tubes, especially in 26” sizes. Even patch kits are difficult to find.

However, even without shortages, $8 is a bunch to spring on a flat. I have tubes that have as many as 25 patches on them. At $8 a pop, that $200...and I have multiple tubes with nearly that many holes. I have boxes of 100 Rema patches (two sizes) that cost me about $30. Glue costs me about $10 for that many patches, so $40 all in. 200 tubes at $8 each would cost me $1600. That’s a whole bike.
Yeah I have done basically all of that. I use Rema glue actually. I for a while tried different stuff to see what might work best. I always heard excellent things about Rema so I have largely stuck with that. Maybe I rushed the drying but I had a tube that I didn't use for a couple days to allow things to bond and still no luck. Maybe I should try again sometime next time I have a flat. I tried on that last one to be really methodical and careful with no rushing. Maybe I am just not a patcher. Ho hum not a big deal.

I guess I don't have Cyco's unlucky tube streak.
Old 10-17-20, 05:03 PM
djb

you cant rush the drying, it has to be dry
maybe you are putting waaaay too much glue on, and it takes forever to dry

its a pretty straightforward procedure, and no need to say that maybe youre not a patcher, just get the steps right. Once you get it right, its a skill like any other that you'll remember for the rest of your life
Likes For djb:
Old 10-17-20, 10:45 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

If you want as many patches per tube, you just need to live where the goatheads grow. You get good at it with all the practice.

Originally Posted by djb
you cant rush the drying, it has to be dry
maybe you are putting waaaay too much glue on, and it takes forever to dry

its a pretty straightforward procedure, and no need to say that maybe youre not a patcher, just get the steps right. Once you get it right, its a skill like any other that you'll remember for the rest of your life
You can’t let it dry too long. I’ve forgotten about tubes in the middle of a patch job and have gone weeks before I applied the patch. It still worked.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-18-20, 01:32 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Tooooooobless

(runs away)
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-18-20, 04:11 AM
gergokee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you want as many patches per tube, you just need to live where the goatheads grow.
Likes For gergokee:
Old 10-18-20, 06:09 AM
djb

You can’t let it dry too long. I’ve forgotten about tubes in the middle of a patch job and have gone weeks before I applied the patch. It still worked.
interesting to know, I've never really thought about it, but good to bring up simply to reinforce the idea and concept to people the importance of letting the glue dry so as to allow for a proper bonding (counter intuitive to all of our life experience with glue)
Old 10-18-20, 09:44 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Tooooooobless

(runs away)
The lack of tubes doesn’t make tubeless less prone to punctures. The sealant in the tubeless tire does that job. I could put the same sealant in the tube...without all the attendant hassles of doing tubeless...but I’m not a fan of sealant in general.

Additionally, I have 8 bikes. If I did tubeless for all of them, I spend all my time dealing with the maintenance of 16 tubeless tires every 3 to 6 months. No thanks.

Old 10-18-20, 06:05 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
So you have 25 tubes that each have up to 25 patches? So that's up to 625 patches? I realize all tubes don't have 25 patches in each of them.....
Additionally, I have 8 bikes. If I did tubeless for all of them, I spend all my time dealing with the maintenance of 16 tubeless tires every 3 to 6 months. No thanks.
I still think toobless is the way to go. I find it's more of an annual maintenance task, and has to be way easier than patching 300 flats. Are goatheads the culprit?
Old 10-18-20, 07:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
If you want as many patches per tube, you just need to live where the goatheads grow. You get good at it with all the practice.

I am good without goat-heads. The potholes are plenty.

Maybe I will let it dry more, next time.
Old 10-18-20, 11:29 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
So you have 25 tubes that each have up to 25 patches? So that's up to 625 patches? I realize all tubes don't have 25 patches in each of them.....
No, I was comparing the cost of 2 boxes of 100 patches (200 total) to the cost of 200 tubes.

I still think toobless is the way to go. I find it's more of an annual maintenance task, and has to be way easier than patching 300 flats. Are goatheads the culprit?
We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I find tubeless to be a royal pain to deal with when I’ve had to deal with them at my local co-op.

Old 10-19-20, 12:36 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I always patch if possible. If I'm in a hurry (going to work, for example) I replace the tube and patch later at home.

I've had tubes with 6 or 7 patches, but by that point they mostly end up with irrepairable damage some way or another. Mountain bike tubes tend to last me a lot more than road bike ones. It's the only component in my mountain bike that regularly exceeds the life of the road bike equivalent.

Tubes may be cheap, but patching has 2 advantages:
1. Is enviromentally friendlier.
2. It lets me keep my spare tube in case the one I'm running gets some unpatchable damage. I like being able to ride home.
Old 10-19-20, 06:18 AM
WT160

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I hated patching years ago. The new peel-and-sticks are amazing. Much better!
Old 10-19-20, 06:43 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
In Covid times I’m a patcher.
my bikes and my kids.
About %50 of the tubes I was able to score back in June have failed at the valve.
I must have bought a bunch of no quality control Friday afternoon tubes. Now my tubes are getting patches when possible. My daughter’s bike is her only form of transportation. And since she is now on the other side of the continent, she now has a set of tannus equipped wheels. She actually prefers the ride over gatorskins on the city streets.
Old 10-19-20, 06:44 AM
djb

Originally Posted by WT160
I hated patching years ago. The new peel-and-sticks are amazing. Much better!
I beg to differ, and many other people do also. Glueless patches have a reputation not to last very long, certainly not worth the hassle down the road of having to deal with a slow leak or simply taking a tube out again, compared to just doing an easy regular patch job at home that will last for years and years, having put in your good spare tube on the road after getting a flat.
Likes For djb:
Old 10-19-20, 11:14 AM
coffeecherrypie

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Yeah I have done basically all of that. I use Rema glue actually. I for a while tried different stuff to see what might work best. I always heard excellent things about Rema so I have largely stuck with that. Maybe I rushed the drying but I had a tube that I didn't use for a couple days to allow things to bond and still no luck. Maybe I should try again sometime next time I have a flat. I tried on that last one to be really methodical and careful with no rushing. Maybe I am just not a patcher. Ho hum not a big deal.

something must be off with the way you're doing it. riv has a good video: https://vimeo.com/125176770
Old 10-21-20, 08:10 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I bought a bulk quantity of Rema glue and patches so I would never have to look for a tube of glue again that wasn’t dried out. I patch my tubes as long as I can. A valve problem or a hole too close to the valve makes me throw them out, or sometimes if I screw up a patch.

the best way to not get flats though is to buy tubes in bulk. You’ll never get another flat if you have 5 brand new tubes in boxes.
Old 10-22-20, 12:50 AM
thesongs

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's interesting, how well does that work as a type of extra skin?