Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Between a fixed gear and a single speed bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Between a fixed gear and a single speed bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 06:15 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Ok, so to address some of the points made in this thread:
  • Riding FG makes you a better rider due to gearing whicb is sub-optimal in many cases: the same goes for SS (remember what was the topic of this thread)
  • Riding FG makes you a better rider because it trains muscle groups that don't get used as much on a bike with a freehub: obviously applies just to being a better rider on FG, not overall, since said muscles aren't used on a non-fixed bike
  • Riding FG is fun: can't argue with that, everyone should ride whatever makes them happy
Likes For subgrade:
Old 10-18-20, 07:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Ok, so to address some of the points made in this thread:
  • Riding FG makes you a better rider due to gearing whicb is sub-optimal in many cases: the same goes for SS (remember what was the topic of this thread)
  • Riding FG makes you a better rider because it trains muscle groups that don't get used as much on a bike with a freehub: obviously applies just to being a better rider on FG, not overall, since said muscles aren't used on a non-fixed bike
  • Riding FG is fun: can't argue with that, everyone should ride whatever makes them happy
Similar points and advantages cited in this thread for riding a sub-optimal feature free bicycle could also be cited for riding heavy old bicycles, especially of the so-called clunker/BSO type so often derided on this list, when equipped with heavy fenders, kickstand, chainguard, horns, lights, baskets, and a rack; lots of effort and calories burned. Good "training of muscle groups" for riding other heavy old (or new) bicycles with a department store provenance. Even better if the basket and racks are used for carrying cinder blocks, full cases of beer and other heavy loads at all times. Toting an extra passenger is good training too! And may even have additional social advantages.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-18-20, 07:54 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
That last analogy reminds me of something I ran across the other day...

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 10-18-20, 08:32 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
If I have proved anything to myself in life it is that salmon cannot ride fixed gear because their legs are too short. What a shortsighted evolutionary design that was.

See what happens when you ride against the flow of traffic? Poor fella needs an iPatch now.
Old 10-18-20, 08:36 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Similar points and advantages cited in this thread for riding a sub-optimal feature free bicycle could also be cited for riding heavy old bicycles, especially of the so-called clunker/BSO type so often derided on this list, when equipped with heavy fenders, kickstand, chainguard, horns, lights, baskets, and a rack; lots of effort and calories burned. Good "training of muscle groups" for riding other heavy old (or new) bicycles with a department store provenance. Even better if the basket and racks are used for carrying cinder blocks, full cases of beer and other heavy loads at all times. Toting an extra passenger is good training too! And may even have additional social advantages.
Let's see, put those three speeds in low gear and move along at 7 mph? I think the only training experience picked up here is balancing a bike with a squirmy load on the back and repairing pinch flats.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-18-20, 04:47 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Part of the reason for the macho and badass association to FG riding is a carry over from the city messengers.
Now there is a culture of city FG riders that never stop and ride at full speed thru all the busy intersections.
NYC is one of the hot spots for this culture and there are many youtube vids with different sets of riders.
Here is an example, watch and you may be surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOYimpAgMlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbHTWve3Eec
not surprised by it. did all of that idiocy in my late teens-early 20s on completely too expensive bmx’s when I had little self worth or hope for the future.

Considering them good cyclists is like considering Kerry King a good musician.
Old 10-18-20, 10:22 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
not surprised by it. did all of that idiocy in my late teens-early 20s on completely too expensive bmx’s when I had little self worth or hope for the future.

Considering them good cyclists is like considering Kerry King a good musician.
Skilled FG cyclists can be good or bad cyclists. The guys in those videos are mostly bad cyclists as far as endangering others and themselves.
Old 10-19-20, 12:19 PM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I raced on track till I was 46. Fixed gear. I also trained on road with it. They are more dangerous than single speed. My choice now is single speed with at least a front brake. I have seen and been in accidents with fixed that would not have happened with a single speed with brakes.
Old 10-19-20, 12:55 PM
alikitch

Bikes: Colnago Master, Tommasini Techno, De Rosa Primato, XB3 Kvant, Cinelli track, KHS Aerotrack, Takhion track, Samoilov track

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
I’d be very careful about trying a fixed gear. I thought I’d have a go on one about a year ago (with a front brake) and now that’s all I ride. Every morning I have to go into the garage and feel bad about the unused DeRosa, Tommasini and Colnago hanging there gathering dust. Occasionally I take one for a ride but the freewheel now feels weird and the riding kind of boring. The fixed gears have vastly improved my fitness, so much fun. Most days I commute 48-14 as that’s what bike came with. Mostly smooth commute with some small gentle hills. I now have other bikes with different gearings so never have to change cogs or flip hubs. Don’t ride fixed as hard to go back.
Old 10-19-20, 01:01 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by RISKDR1
I raced on track till I was 46. Fixed gear. I also trained on road with it. They are more dangerous than single speed. My choice now is single speed with at least a front brake. I have seen and been in accidents with fixed that would not have happened with a single speed with brakes.
Sounds as if some "accidents" with fixed gear aren't really accidents but rather the result of a deliberate choice in selecting less safe, crash prone equipment.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-19-20, 01:05 PM
PdlPeet

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
It teaches you how to pedal smoothly, and works different muscles from typical riding. You develop power over a broader range of pedal rpms. And it breaks you from the insidious habit of coasting. The first time you ride fixed gear, you see exactly how often you coast on a regular bike, usually within the first couple seconds, even.
This is the best (and most traditional) response I've seen. Although I don't think of coasting as "insidious".
Forget the macho/badass crap mentioned in this thread.

I've been riding fixed gear since the mid-90's. It's the first bike I reach for when I just want to "go for a ride".
It's fun. It's completely different than riding gears. You get a better workout than you do over the same miles.
Or it's my first choice for noodling to coffee with my wife. I have 2 brakes. I use them. You
can use your brakes to avoid going around corners so fast that pedal strike is an issue. I think I've banged
a pedal once in 25 years, and that was over a speed bump.

There is a short period of adjustment to pedalling all the time, because if you stop pedalling, you'll get a
startling reminder that you can't coast. But you soon adapt to that.

You can also use it for intervals. Or to strengthen your climbing if training is your goal. Long climbs aren't fun,
and long or steep descents aren't either. At least not for aged legs.

I've used gearing in the mid-60-inch range since I started. (46X19 currently) It suits the rolling terrain I ride on
here in the Bay Area. You'll find the gearing that best suits you and your situation.

I don't get the SS. If you want that, take your normal road bike out and leave it in the same gear.for the whole
ride.
Likes For PdlPeet:
Old 10-19-20, 01:07 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKDR1
...I have seen and been in accidents with fixed that would not have happened with a single speed with brakes.
You must be talking about a track bike with no brakes. FG with brakes is no more dangerous than any other kind of bike.
Old 10-19-20, 01:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I got reminded of another benefit of fix gear road riding (especially downwind and downhill) that has been for me, huge. The training of the leg muscles that aren't actually driving the pedals to relax completely. I was never aware I had those less than loose muscles until I started going down real hills on gears like 42-17. At 45 MPH (225 RPM) any tightness at all makes for a wild ride! But 100% loose, I can go faster and it is ear-to-ear grin fun. And that teaching of those muscles to relax benefits me every ride. (Rollers go a long ways to achieving that same looseness.)

I rode a 50 mile out and back to a point straight upwind yesterday. Hard out, the spin on tired legs coming home. That my legs didn't fight that spin - a real blessing.

Ben
Old 10-19-20, 01:12 PM
PdlPeet

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"jagoff"? Sounds like PGH to me.
Old 10-20-20, 09:34 AM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Yinz know that too?
Old 10-20-20, 09:49 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by PdlPeet
I don't get the SS. If you want that, take your normal road bike out and leave it in the same gear.for the whole
ride.
Commitment to a single gear. Lighter. Less stuff in the way (no shifters on h-bars). SS chain spins easier. Less troubled by dust on trails than derailleur. Can stand and coast to comfortably negotiate super tight turns. Can stand and coast down long hills (more weight bearing). Just getting started... there’s more.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-20-20, 12:41 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by PdlPeet

ride.
I've done the leave a geared bike in one gear thing. It's still not the same as a Single Speed because you know that you can't bail out by downshifting to a lower gear on a Single Speed. You have to muscle it or walk.

Before I take a ride with my Single Speed, I take wind into consideration much more than I do with my geared bike. On really windy days, my Single Speed stays at home.

Last edited by FiftySix; 10-20-20 at 12:45 PM. Reason: phone calls
Old 10-20-20, 12:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by FiftySix
I've done the leave a geared bike in one gear thing. It's still not the same as a Single Speed because you know that you can't bail out with a lower gear on a Single Speed. You have to muscle it or walk.
Is that built-in limitation considered a positive attribute for bicycle riding?
Old 10-20-20, 01:14 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

"Muscle it" is simply relative to the gear ratio you choose and the strength you have. My version of "muscling it" is no where near what other's versions of muscling it would be. The reality is, if you pick a gear ratio that works for your strength and riding conditions you won't really be walking much if at all. But, broadening one's powerband by only having one gear ratio is a real thing.

To be clear though, I don't ride my single speed to torture myself. I ride my single speed because it is simply fun to me.

I like geared bikes and single speed bikes for their own merits, but a single speed makes me feel more human. I'm not sure how to say it well, but a single speed bike feels like an extension of my legs or my ability to run. But a geared bike makes me feel more like I'm powering a machine, perhaps like cranking a generator.

Last edited by FiftySix; 10-20-20 at 02:03 PM. Reason: interruptions on my end
Old 10-20-20, 06:46 PM
RohloffRoller

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
During covid lockdown here in Melbourne Oz I was tidying out the shed when I found my fixed wheel which I had not ridden for about 15 years. I dusted it off, pumped the tyres and while we were restricted to a 5km radius from home (they take lockdown seriously here) that is all that I have been riding.
It keeps you alert and 165mm cranks help to prevent the dreaded pedal strike!

Mike
Old 10-20-20, 08:48 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Single speed with a flip/flop hub. I prefer single speed because I like to coast down hills.
Old 10-21-20, 09:18 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

It’s a “feature”, not a limitation.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-21-20, 10:19 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
What is the point of SS? That's what my father rode in the first half of last century and passed it to me... I mean, just don't shift on your 20+ S bike and you got SS LOL

As to FG, while you have some who successfully take such bike to very hilly terrain, even without possibility of wheel reversing to make it SS bike for big downhills, for the rest of us, sticking to flattish or at most. a rolling roads is a golden standard that provides all benefits and excitement of riding FG.

Like you don't take TT bike to mountains.

I would liken riding FG bike to solo rock climbing. The latter is done with rope or without rope. Climbing without rope is equivalent to FG bike without brakes. Both can be done in a reasonable way, meaning you are experienced enough to minimize its hazards. I rode fixie around town without brakes when young, also did rock climbing with ropes and a partner, solo without rope only several times and not too serious climbing difficulty.

FG means you ride alert to very alert all the time, even hyper alert if you don't have brakes. It is not a sight seeing ride by any means. If you feel macho, you are half way to end your ride in accident, in rock climbing to fall.

While on a FG bike you can remain seated on red light and keep balancing yourself, after a while you get so good at it, you don't need to do any active balancing anymore. I am sure it also trains something but not sure what -

Last edited by vane171; 10-21-20 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-22-20, 06:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by ofajen
It’s a “feature”, not a limitation.

Otto
Do you consider the FG "feature" - you can't bail out with a lower gear on a Single Speed. You have to muscle it or walk - a positive attribute for bicycle riding?
Old 10-22-20, 07:40 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Do you consider the FG "feature" - you can't bail out with a lower gear on a Single Speed. You have to muscle it or walk - a positive attribute for bicycle riding?
I don’t give it much thought. The only hills I have to get off and run up are so steep I’d be going that same speed grinding up on a lower gear on the bike (which I don’t like anyway) and I bike in shoes I can run in.

The broader feature of course is a completely different experience of riding, where you use position on the bike, effort and attitude to handle the changes in the ride, free from considerations of gearing change.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.