Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2020 SuperSix EVO 105 disc - Any reviews?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-19, 02:08 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

Hello, been a while since I've been on the forums and I hope that changes with a new road bike purchase. Anyway, I'm looking at the new 2020 SuperSix evo and want to get some feedback from anyone who has ridden the new bike to get their impressions and hopefully get feedback from someone who has ridden the previous model SuperSix and/or Caad10 to get their comparison to the new evo.

I'm looking to buy the entry level 105 disc model mostly because I'm on a budget but also because I'd prefer to upgrade as I go and get the parts I want as opposed to what they spec the bike with. From what I can see, the non hi mod version frame is on the 105 rim ($2,400), 105 disc ($2,700), Ultegra disc ($4,400), and Etap disc ($6,500) so no hi-mod for me which starts at the $7,000 range.

Any feedback would be appreciated because I plan to buy something this weekend during the holiday sales.

Thank You!
Old 11-21-19, 03:09 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I haven't ridden that bike, but I do have experience on the last three 105 iterations. In my view, both R5800 and R7000 are excellent. I personally don't think I could tell you in a blind test the difference in shifting performance between the last two versions of 105 and their respective Ultegra offerings. That's how close they are. That's just me and I appreciate that others may be more discriminating. In any case, from where I sit, if you were planning on upgrading to Ultegra sort of over time, that money would be much better spent on something like better wheels and maybe even some upgraded kit or shoes or helmet or whatever. Lastly, if you were planning to upgrade that 105 to Dura Ace, I, myself, would actually put the cash into Ultegra Di2 (or Force eTap AXS, depending on your preference).

My point here is that 105 is extremely good now and to get something that is just a really big improvement in overall performance, I think you are looking at electronic.
Old 11-21-19, 03:25 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Agree on the 105 to ultegra quality comparison. They’re very close. The only upgrade I would make, if one had the cash, would be to Di2.
Old 11-21-19, 07:37 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I won't argue with the 105 to Ultegra comparison, other than weight they are essentially the same. I do however plan to upgrade the 105 SuperSix to Ultegra di2 and get some quality wheels and tires. I'm just struggling with the decision to buy the bike without actually test riding one beforehand. Nobody has a 60cm locally or within 500 miles for that matter. All of the Cannondale retailers I've spoken to say the same thing, you put a deposit down of 50% and you own it. The bike gets stellar reviews but almost every review is of the high mod full Dura ace di2 or Sram etap with carbon wheels so not exactly apples to apples.
Old 11-21-19, 08:26 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by dvdslw
I won't argue with the 105 to Ultegra comparison, other than weight they are essentially the same. I do however plan to upgrade the 105 SuperSix to Ultegra di2 and get some quality wheels and tires. I'm just struggling with the decision to buy the bike without actually test riding one beforehand. Nobody has a 60cm locally or within 500 miles for that matter. All of the Cannondale retailers I've spoken to say the same thing, you put a deposit down of 50% and you own it. The bike gets stellar reviews but almost every review is of the high mod full Dura ace di2 or Sram etap with carbon wheels so not exactly apples to apples.
What about then trying to find something with a roughly similar geometry and riding that? It's obviously not the bike, but it may give you more information than doing nothing. I don't know what that other frame would be because, as I have said, I have not ridden a Cannondale before. But it is possible some other mfr. makes a somewhat similar bike.
Old 11-23-19, 07:57 PM
FrankTuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
REI can order it, and they have a great return policy. Might be worth going that route especially for the dividend.
Likes For FrankTuna:
Old 11-23-19, 08:34 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by FrankTuna
REI can order it, and they have a great return policy. Might be worth going that route especially for the dividend.
Yes!