Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What CELESTE frames had a Triomphe Groupset?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 04:48 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

I don't know t he age of my Campagnolo Triomphe components that are on a frame a bit too big for me to comfortably reach the shifters on t he downtube.

So, during this time of staying mostly home I got to thinking that perhaps I could find a relatively inexpensive Bianchi Celelste frameset to put them on.

So, what Bianchi Celelste framsets were used with Triomphe components?

Thanks and cheers
Old 03-30-20, 05:39 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Triomphe Equipped Bianchi ???

While I'm not a Bianchi expert, I own 3 of them. I've never seen a Bianchi equipped with Campangnolo Triomphe components.

I have a 1988 Giro that came with a final generation Campy Victory gruppo, close but no cigar..

The Bianchi catalog shows the purple pink color but most were Celeste.

Campagnolo Triomphe and Victory components were intended to replace the Gran Sport and Nuovo Record gruppos as an attempt to defend the mid range price market from the Japanese suppliers, Suntour and Shimano. It didn't work... The least of which reasons was the reluctance of Campionistas to accept the new style components which were a major departure from the classic Campy looks that went back to the 1950's and 60's.

Two other things, the new gruppos were priced way out of the market for use on mid range models plus Campy kept the market flooded with OEM Nuovo Record gruppos up to around 1977.

French component makers stepped in to take over some of the mid range market but Shimano was the real winner in that price range.

I digressed again....

To answer your question: "So, what Bianchi Celelste framsets were used with Triomphe components?", Campagnolo Triomphe components were decent quality and performed on a par with Gran Sport and Nuovo Record parts.

They should be easy to install on any better quality Bianchi frame from the late 1960's to the 1990's so you have a lot to choose from. The seatpost may not fit the frame you find and the Triomphe headset had a 39mm stack height but those are not big problems.

Bianchi produced a lot of bikes in the 1980's using mystery Columbus tubing:

They also used Columbus Aelle tubing which was made of lower grade Manganese alloy steel rather than Chrome Moly used in the classic Columbus tubing.

Classic Columbus stickers from the late 70's to late 80's. Frames with this tubing would either be lighter gauge SL or heavier gauge SP and generally better quality.

Most of the Japanese made "Bianchi" models weren't produced in Celeste. They were generally well made and performed on a par with the Italian made bikes. Your BB, seatpost and headset may not fit one of these frames.

My suggestion would be to find the best quality Italian Bianchi frame that you can afford. Look at the tubing stickers carefully and research the models.

Some of the Bianchi "experts" should jump in soon. Calling Bianchigirll

Good luck...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 03-30-20 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-30-20, 06:20 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Assuming that by CELESTE, you're referring to Bianchi?

If that is the case, while I'm not a Bianchi expert, I've never seen a Bianchi equipped with Campangnolo Triomphe components.

I have a 1988 Giro that came with a final generation Campy Victory gruppo, close but no cigar..

The Bianchi catalog shows the purple pink color but most were Celeste.

Campagnolo Triomphe and Victory components were intended to replace the Gran Sport and Nuovo Record gruppos as an attempt to defend the mid range price market from the Japanese suppliers, Suntour and Shimano. It didn't work... The least of which reasons was the reluctance of Campionistas to accept the new style components which were a major departure from the classic Campy looks that went back to the 1950's and 60's.

Two other things, the new gruppos were priced way out of the market for use on mid range models plus Campy kept the market flooded with OEM Nuovo Record gruppos up to around 1977.

French component makers stepped in to take over some of the mid range market but Shimano was the real winner in that price range.

I digressed again....

To answer your question: "So, what Bianchi Celelste framsets were used with Triomphe components?", Campagnolo Triomphe components were decent quality and performed on a par with Gran Sport and Nuovo Record parts.

They should be easy to install on any better quality Bianchi frame from the late 1960's to the 1990's so you have a lot to choose from. The seatpost may not fit the frame you find and the Triomphe has a 39mm stack height but those are not big problems.

Bianchi produced a lot of bikes in the 1980's using mystery Columbus tubing:

edit: images snipped for brevity

They also used Columbus Aelle tubing which was made of lower grade Manganese alloy steel rather than Chrome Moly used in the classic Columbus tubing.

Classic Columbus stickers from the late 70's to late 80's. Frames with this tubing would either be light gauge SL or heavy gauge SP and generally better quality.

Most of the Japanese made "Bianchi" models weren't produced in Celeste. They were generally well made and performed on a par with the Italian made bikes. Your BB, seatpost and headset may not fit one of these frames.

My suggestion would be to find the best quality Italian Bianchi frame that you can afford. Look at the tubing stickers and research the models.\

Good luck...

verktyg
Thanks. However I DID use Bianchi in post. In fact Bianchi Celeste occurred twice in that post. LOL VBEG

I know that Bianchi had a lot of different bikes in colours other than Celelste but if I get another Bianchi then I want a Celeste colour one.

Cheers
Old 03-30-20, 06:36 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Only Celeste Bianchis!

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Thanks. However I DID use Bianchi in post. In fact Bianchi Celeste occurred twice in that post. LOL VBEG

I know that Bianchi had a lot of different bikes in colours other than Celelste but if I get another Bianchi then I want a Celeste colour one.

Cheers
I changed my post after I reread your first massage.

While Bianchi made some interesting black, green, brown and blue bikes back in the 60's, there's no reason to own anything other than CELESTE!

I bought my first Bianchi, the 1988 Giro back in 2007 because of "Celeste envy"... A bunch of the Classic Rendezvous folks I was riding with had Bianchis.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)