Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Looking for bombproof rim choices

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 09-29-17, 06:02 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

I'm usually posting over in the roadie forum but my son rides bmx and he can't keep a wheel in true. His bike came with some Rant wheels that I'm sure are entry level rims with basic spokes and every time he rides, his rear wheel comes out of true. We go back to the bike shop where he purchased the bike and they always re-true the wheel for $10 which is great but I'd like to find him some rims or a wheelset that will take a beating.

I'd like to get some recommendations on what to shop for, brands, rim widths/weights, etc... Is there a go to rim or wheelset out there for the hard rider that's good value? I'd also like to know if wider is better in the bmx world like it is over in the road bike world right now? I see there are some pretty wide bmx wheels out there and he rides with 2.4in tires so a wider rim may compliment a large tire casing, maybe not? Anyway, if you guys could list what you think are your top three choices for a rim that will take a beating and not kill my wallet, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 09-29-17, 01:54 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
This all depends on what type of riding he wants to do and how much he wants to spend?

There's a couple of differences in what makes a wheel strong.

1) If it's Single, Double, or Tripled walled. The more walls the stronger but also the more heavy they are. Sounds like he's probably got a single and needs a good double. Triple walls aren't as common anymore due to modern doubles being just as strong but lighter.

2) How many spokes. Wheels used to come either 36 or 48 spoke, and again the 48's were stronger but heavier. But 48 spoke wheels are obsolete and a thing of the past now days too.

So if it's freestyle park Cinema is one of the more expensive brands that I like, but I'm sure cheaper brands are probably just as good.
Old 10-02-17, 05:18 PM
IVARR

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
graphite tuff wheels, i just saw a set on ebay for $348-!!! brand new old stock

i think they were like a 149- when they came out in like 1980 ???

https://www.ebay.com/i/222203660160?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Old 10-06-17, 05:36 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Any thoughts on the BSD NASA wheels?
Old 10-11-17, 10:56 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
Any thoughts on the BSD NASA wheels?
I haven't seen them IRL, but they look and sound good just a tad bit expensive for a complete wheel.