Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour front derailleur help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 11:06 PM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Apologies if this should be in mechanics, but I thought you vintage folks would be more likely to know the answer.

Rather than describe it, I've taken pics (including the front derailleur it was attached to). What I want to know is: how the heck do I get it off?! (I've already opened up the tabs top and bottom which someone else suggested to me)

Many thanks

Old 07-17-19, 11:16 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
It’s the Suntour Endless Clamp, and this thread has guidance on removal:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...p-removal.html
Old 07-17-19, 11:17 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I put one of those endless-clamp Superbe derailleurs on my Vitus 979 a few years ago. Yours is a Cyclone M2 so it should be similar. The thing to do is, as I recall, to remove the threaded "stud" from the band clamp using the phillips head indented in the end of it. Then it should come apart easily.

Careful when you bend those top and bottom tabs back in.

You are gonna reuse that derailleur, right? It's one of the lightest front mechs you can get without going to carbon fiber.
Old 07-18-19, 12:35 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks @scarlson & noob

I didn't notice the philips fitting in the mount, so now it finally makes sense. I just tried to take it off, but it's on damn tight. Given it a little penetrating oil to help it reconsider its actions and I'll go back to it later.

Not planning on reusing the front mech, no - I'm going to list it on ebay as I have way too many bikes and way too many parts (and not nearly enough cash!)

Wish me luck!
Old 07-18-19, 06:52 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyfourdogs
Thanks @scarlson & noob

I didn't notice the philips fitting in the mount, so now it finally makes sense. I just tried to take it off, but it's on damn tight. Given it a little penetrating oil to help it reconsider its actions and I'll go back to it later.

Not planning on reusing the front mech, no - I'm going to list it on ebay as I have way too many bikes and way too many parts (and not nearly enough cash!)

Wish me luck!
Good Luck! I would suggest making sure your Phillips screwdriver is a good fit. Putting the wrong size in there will cam out that little stud which could ruin the stud. You can still remove the stud (destructively by clamping the threads with a vice grip) but you want it to be undamaged so it still has some value on eBay. I’m thinking a medium Phillips (#2) might be the right one. I’ve recently learned about Japanese standard (J.I.S.) screwdrivers which are similar to Phillips but ever so slightly different (less pointy) and often grip much better with no cam out damage.
Old 07-18-19, 06:59 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Note the scarring on the seat tube. It's a difficult gear to orient without causing paint damage so consider a protective clear tape when you put it back on.
Old 07-18-19, 08:54 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Is the stud possibly left-hand thread? It seems like there is something odd about these things, last time I had one.
Old 07-18-19, 09:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The endless band is the only Suntour product I don't care for. I got a couple of them. Let's see, from this point, take a Phillips screwdriver and insert into stud. Make sure the Phillip's end fits snugly into the stud. Lefty loosy until stud comes out. The band will come unhinged and you can remove it. Next step is to not put it back on. Find another FD with a regular clamp and install it instead. The main problem with the endless band is adjustment.You have to take the Allen bolt out, then loosen the stud to make any kind of adjustment. A Phillips with an end meaty enough to fit snug into the stud is too big to go into the Allen hole. I have had on slip on me as well. Put something else on.

Last edited by seypat; 07-18-19 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 09:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Good Luck! I would suggest making sure your Phillips screwdriver is a good fit. Putting the wrong size in there will cam out that little stud which could ruin the stud. You can still remove the stud (destructively by clamping the threads with a vice grip) but you want it to be undamaged so it still has some value on eBay. I’m thinking a medium Phillips (#2) might be the right one. I’ve recently learned about Japanese standard (J.I.S.) screwdrivers which are similar to Phillips but ever so slightly different (less pointy) and often grip much better with no cam out damage.
That stud probably is JIS, not Phillips. The right Phillips should work but it isn't ideal and will not get a full "grab" if that is indeed JIS. (I believe the difference between Phillips and JIS is that the Phillips comes to a self-starting point whereas the JIS is square across the bottom of the slots, so without the guidance effect but also offering more slot and ultimately stronger. Someone else should chip in here. First -is this JIS and second, is my description of JIS correct?

(I just know I've stripped too many Japanese FD limit screws with Phillips screwdrivers and have learned to use very square, good fitting slotted screwdrivers. Even needle-nosed vicegrips work better.)

Ben
Old 07-18-19, 09:27 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Is the stud possibly left-hand thread? It seems like there is something odd about these things, last time I had one.
Nope, standard right hand thread. I've put them on dozens of bikes over the years.
Old 11-17-19, 03:34 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The endless band is the only Suntour product I don't care for. I got a couple of them. Let's see, from this point, take a Phillips screwdriver and insert into stud. Make sure the Phillip's end fits snugly into the stud. Lefty loosy until stud comes out. The band will come unhinged and you can remove it. Next step is to not put it back on. Find another FD with a regular clamp and install it instead. The main problem with the endless band is adjustment.You have to take the Allen bolt out, then loosen the stud to make any kind of adjustment. A Phillips with an end meaty enough to fit snug into the stud is too big to go into the Allen hole. I have had on slip on me as well. Put something else on.
I scrapped the paint on the downtube trying to adjust the front derailleur this morning. Thankfully the band did not gouge the downtube. This design sucks.
Old 11-17-19, 05:08 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I like this design. It's very light and looks good on '80s bikes. Sorta like a braze-on model.

I do file the clamp edges and apply grease so it doesn't scar the paint when adjusting it.
Old 11-17-19, 05:49 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyfourdogs
Apologies if this should be in mechanics, but I thought you vintage folks would be more likely to know the answer.

Rather than describe it, I've taken pics (including the front derailleur it was attached to). What I want to know is: how the heck do I get it off?! (I've already opened up the tabs top and bottom which someone else suggested to me)

Many thanks

If you look closely you can see the scratch marks left by the band on the downtube. The scratch is right above the metal band.
Old 11-18-19, 07:56 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
It's been nearly 4 months since the OP. I wonder if he ever got it off?

Cheers
Old 11-25-19, 02:08 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
It's been nearly 4 months since the OP. I wonder if he ever got it off?

Cheers
Haha thanks for thinking of me! Yes, I got the damn thing off. I listed it on eBay and it's strange, but nobody wants to buy it....