Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Warranty claims for bikes bought from LBS

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Would you describe your frame's warranty claim on your new bike as?
Flawless. The LBS handled everything for me and everything was resolved to my satisfaction.
56.52%
Good. The LBS handled most things, Everything was resolved to my satisfaction.
13.04%
Neutral. Resolved according to my satisfaction, but was not happy with the process at all.
8.70%
Bad. LBS tried very hard but manufacturer did not warranty claim
0%
Horrible. LBS barely tried to get claim warrantied.
21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-19, 01:56 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

I'm looking at buying expensive (for me) new bike from an LBS. Looking at spending $3K plus.

The main benefit of going new from an LBS (for me) is the warranty on the FRAME. So I'm interested in hearing how everyone's frame warranty claims went, hence the poll.

Last edited by UsedToBeFaster; 10-28-19 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 02:39 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
2 cracked frames over the years.

First was an aluminum Gary Fisher MTB frame, they replaced it with a much nicer Trek Top Fuel frame. Had to buy new forks for new frame but that was the only issue I encountered.

Next was a carbon Specialized Sirrus. They replaced the frame with no issues at all. Thankfully all my parts swapped over without issue.

The one thing to keep in mind is bike standards change, sometimes quickly, and the new replacement frame is not guaranteed to work with all your old components.

There will also be a labor charge to move all the parts over if you choose to have them do it for you. The Trek cost me $200, 7 or 8 years ago, but the Specialized I swapped the majority of the parts myself. The shop cut the steerer tube, mounted the stem and bars, and swapped the bottom bracket for free since I bought the bike there.
Old 10-28-19, 03:28 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I didn't vote because I have never had a frame warranty of any sort but I will say my LBS had 2 other warranty issues on 2 different bikes and it was handled perfectly.
Old 10-28-19, 03:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I had a road bike in your range crack on me years ago. LBS sent a photo, got me a new frame set, slightly better than the one I had originally paid for. They transferred everything for free even though they really didn't have to. I showed my gratitude with lots of quality beer.

More recently I bought a gravel bike that came with terrible wheels. Brought the wheel in to have spokes replaced, the shop have me a new wheel under warranty, very unexpected. Sadly it was the same wheel and also had problems. But it's not like they could just replace it with any wheel I wanted.
Old 10-28-19, 07:39 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Not sure the point of the poll. If you're worried about how you'll be treated if you have a frame issue, ask the shop you're thinking of buying from. That is really the only one that matters.
Old 10-28-19, 08:39 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Had a Trek 520 warranty replacement with a crack on the seat tube starting at the binder stress relieve point.
Warranty service was great. Only quibble was that they were required to build the frame. So i had to take it apart and rebuild it to make sure everything was done the way i wanted.
Old 10-28-19, 08:43 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
In one case the shop I bought the bike from processed the claim; in another I brought the bike to the closest shop to me that carried the brand(so not the shop where I originally bought the bike). In both cases warranty processing was flawless.
Old 10-28-19, 08:44 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
The poll does not include my experience.

Totally satisfied with the MFGer as far as claim etc. Free upgrade from Trek.

Lousy service from bike shop.

Component swap included new cables. Asst manager did the swap. Called said my front 105 der was not functioning properly. Strange, hadn't a problem before this. But ok, not going to break the bank.

Replaced the front der, got the bike back, won't shift well. Took it to another shop owned by a friend, sadly not involved with brand and warranty.

Finds the lousy mechanic installed a crimped cable that was hidden. Paid for a new der because the mechanic was a moron.

Then first ride, headset making a serious ticking noise. Took it home, checked the headset. Moron mechanic placed a bearing race in upside down.

Since then, I won't take my bike to a shop. Had another warranty claim, did the swap myself. Shop wanted $200 for the swap. You're kidding right?

Took the bike apart, 30 minutes. Took frame into shop, swapped for new frame. Built it up in about an hour. Not rocket science but the great bike shop service service, sucked!

So totally happy with the customer rep, but totally upset with the bike shop.

Best thing I ever did was start building my own bikes and wheels. Best quality control ever, not one single problem now.
Old 10-29-19, 05:50 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Not sure the point of the poll. If you're worried about how you'll be treated if you have a frame issue, ask the shop you're thinking of buying from. That is really the only one that matters.
This.
Or don’t trust your LBS(after easily doing some quick research)and instead rely on the advice of strangers on the inter-webs who may or may not have an agenda or axe to grind 👍
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 10-29-19, 05:52 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
I'm looking at buying expensive (for me) new bike from an LBS. Looking at spending $3K plus.

The main benefit of going new from an LBS (for me) is the warranty on the FRAME. So I'm interested in hearing how everyone's frame warranty claims went, hence the poll.
What brand are you looking to buy (claiming process is different from one to another)?

I don't believe it should be a concern for you as you will most likely not have any issue with your frameset. Of course, you will get a few responses here of members telling you they had issues with theirs, but the average Joes won't.
Old 10-29-19, 08:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
LBS certainly should be the easy way in case of a warranty issue, but after you buy a few bikes through other channels and saved a few grand, you have effectively self-insured against a bad go.
Old 10-29-19, 05:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster

So much depends on specific circumstances. The shop you deal with is your primary access to the warranty process. Next level is either the distributor or the manufacturer's local representative. If either level isn't helpful, warranty help can be frustrating. In addition, you have to consider how that bike brand sells to the public. Some low volume brands import bare frames to the distributors who then are able to get OEM pricing on components for their dealers who sell bikes to their customers, basically, the shop receives a frame and a complete build kit as per what the customer wants. That, however is a tiny portion of the market. Most bikes arrive at a shop 90-95% built with good to excellent quality components that may require various amounts of time for full assembly. As an example: I worked for a company that imported bikes from the largest French bike company. Their bikes were well assembled and adjusted, but the handlebars were not wrapped with tape. Ditto for a small very well known Belgian bike company we dealt with for a couple of years.
Bottom line: warranty support is complicated. If you buy a bike only for the frame warranty and extensively modify the bike without the support of the dealer you could easily have a frame warranty claim denied
Old 10-29-19, 05:15 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Trek Emonda SLR - paint was extremely thin/light on the underside top tube. Trek offered to re-paint the frame or give me a $400 credit toward new Trek or Bontrager stuff.

Trek Boone - bottom bracket issue. LBS dismantled the bike, shipped it back to Trek, Trek fixed & shipped back to LBS, and the LBS re-built the bike.
Old 10-30-19, 05:54 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
All my frames have lasted longer than any of the LBSs around here, so look past the shop to see how the factory will support you.
Likes For znomit:
Old 10-30-19, 06:03 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
The only frame I had to warranty was an aluminum, made in the U.S., Trek with lifetime warranty. The LBS I bought it from closed. After 8 years, I had a problem and the next nearest Trek dealer took care of it for me without any hesitation. That frame is now 22 years old....I still own it.
Old 10-30-19, 10:31 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Broke 4 frames and the only one that was still under warranty was a Trek. They didn't make that frame anymore so they gave me shop credit toward another brand and the LBS built it up for free. Very happy with that experience.
Old 10-30-19, 10:47 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Trek AL 2013-ish frame -
Frame cracked at seat tube clamp. Current LBS suggested warrantying it. Prior bike store sent pic of receipt via text. Trek gave me credit for the frame via LBS at the current version of the frame's value, not the prior spec (200 vs 300 series AL, new model is upscale). LBS ordered new current frame of my choice. Maybe a week end-to-end. I think on more current bikes, you get a 'neutral color' warranty frame/fork. Aside from the pain of having to move parts and standards (brake caliper mount, TA, seatpost, etc), it was actually a pleasurable experience as I moved from a banged up CX bike to a new gravel bike in my selected color that better met my needs.

Buddy had a modern carbon Spec crack. Ended up with an all black (non-preferred) version of the bike, but no hassle.

FWIW - AL road frames, I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty. Carbon, anyone and everyone has manufacturing voids/ layup issues, care about the warranty. Direct fix bottom bracket bearing would be another reason for an LBS.

You're a frame buyer, so you're comfortable moving parts, but keep in mind that seatpost, brake mount, wheelmount, etc standards change. I don't know if I'd need the LBS in the picture. You'll need someone to inspect it in any case. For someone like Canyon, I think they a mobile repair service (velofix) and/or shipping boxes. You definitely don't want to ship it on your dime.

Last edited by jfranci3; 10-30-19 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-30-19, 10:58 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Knock on wood...fortunately I haven't had to have a frame warranty claim. But it's heartening to see that nearly 70% of respondents thus far report "flawless" or "good" experiences. What's slightly worrisome is that 22% were terrible. So it seems almost like an all-or-nothing deal. Either you're going to have a good/great experience, or your LBS warranty experience will be horrible. At least the odds are in our favor...