Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best way to sell bike parts, NYC area?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-25-20, 04:21 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts

I've been trying to get rid of a number of bike parts/bikes and have had no luck. Ebay couldn't get decent prices due to shipping costs, had two items sold and people backed out due to shipping costs. Tried craigslist and have just had people trying to steal my email account and send me fake checks. Amazon marketplace just doesn't get responses. So where or how are people managing to get rid of things that gets decent results. I'd have though being on the west end of LI would have made this easier but so far nothings worked.
Old 01-25-20, 06:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I've been trying to get rid of a number of bike parts/bikes and have had no luck. Ebay couldn't get decent prices due to shipping costs, had two items sold and people backed out due to shipping costs. Tried craigslist and have just had people trying to steal my email account and send me fake checks. Amazon marketplace just doesn't get responses. So where or how are people managing to get rid of things that gets decent results. I'd have though being on the west end of LI would have made this easier but so far nothings worked.
Post some photos and descriptions at a LBS, I see stuff on the board at Brands in Wantagh. I’ve had luck on the CLIMB website, but you need to be a member.
Old 01-26-20, 11:59 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Buy a Bike Forums membership, then you can list here. No commissions or fees.
In general, presentation can help a lot. Make sure you have good pictures, and accurate descriptions.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-26-20, 12:11 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Craigslist will tend to be a decent method once the weather warms up a bit. Not too many buyers looking this time of year so you may be better served to wait until spring when there are a lot more people looking to get out on their bikes and looking to buy a bike or parts. I've had decent results using CL in the past for both bikes and parts but you often do have to deal with some people that either aren't serious buyers or expect giveaway pricing.
Old 01-26-20, 12:24 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
My impression is that Facebook Marketplace has taken over much of the Craigslist market, especially with the younger crowd (people under 45). I bought bike wheels on there recently, and also bought a vehicle and found a renter for my property. FWIW, I also shopped/posted on CL, and FB had better inventory and probably 5x as many serious prospective renters.

Good, clear pictures are a must. Good descriptions are also helpful. If it's higher-end parts, there might be a local bicycle buy/sell/trade group on FB where you can post as well. (Just be sure to read the rules - some groups are very specific about the kinds of items that can be listed.)

I hear that the young'ins are also selling things on Instagram. I have no clue how that works - it's a bit too Gen YZ for my taste.