Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Heart Rate Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 12:13 PM
Rltot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heart Rate Monitors

Looking to buy a HRM. What are the more recomended brands and why? What should I be looking for? Need one for the wife and myself.

Thanks in advance!

Rick
Old 03-07-13, 01:36 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've had a few Polars over the years. I recommend one with a way to set an upper and lower thresholds that beeps or something. That way you can tell if you are overdoing it or just faking it. Things like tracking time in HR zones are OK but not needed. If you get one that has calories burned, take that with a grain of salt as they usually way overestimate how much burned.

If you plan on using the HR with equipment at a gym, like a LifeCycle stationary bike, that kind of equipment usually works best with the cheaper HR straps. The fancy HRs, like Garmin and the more expensive Polars, are incompatible with a lot of gym equipment.

Speaking of Garmin, consider getting something like an Edge 500 with a HR kit. That way you have your bike computer AND HR monitor all in one device.
Old 03-07-13, 02:09 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you just want something basic I'm on my second one of these. I think it was highly rated by Consumer Reports many years ago. I broke the watch trying to replace the battery (which died after about 5 years.) Lesson learned, next time I'll have a watch shop change the battery.

The bluetooth sensors that interface with a smartphone are cool but I just don't see the value in logging your heart rate in that much detail.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-08-13, 08:59 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Heart rate monitors with chest straps are more accurate.
R
Old 03-08-13, 09:45 PM
road1bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a timex with the chest strap that works great!
Old 03-08-13, 10:35 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
I've had a few Polars over the years. I recommend one with a way to set an upper and lower thresholds that beeps or something. That way you can tell if you are overdoing it or just faking it. Things like tracking time in HR zones are OK but not needed. If you get one that has calories burned, take that with a grain of salt as they usually way overestimate how much burned.

If you plan on using the HR with equipment at a gym, like a LifeCycle stationary bike, that kind of equipment usually works best with the cheaper HR straps. The fancy HRs, like Garmin and the more expensive Polars, are incompatible with a lot of gym equipment.

Speaking of Garmin, consider getting something like an Edge 500 with a HR kit. That way you have your bike computer AND HR monitor all in one device.
The Garmin Edge 500, is the one I want to get. I have the Edge 200(it was a Christmas present, this past December from my father). I want the 500 because the 200 doesn't do enough.