Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Needing/wanting a new crankset... what do I need to be paying attention to? (Xposted)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Needing/wanting a new crankset... what do I need to be paying attention to? (Xposted)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 01:45 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been toying with the idea of changing to a 1x10/1x11 setup. But the narrow wide chainrings on the market won't fit my Campy Victory's (obsolete) 116 BCD crank.

I assume the solution is to change to a crankset with a more conventional BCD (104, 110, 130?).

According to VeloBase, the Campy Victory BB is ISO.

Am I right to think that I just need to make sure the crankset I get fits ISO?

Is there anything else I should be taking into consideration?
Old 06-14-16, 02:04 PM
aluminummonster

Bikes: 1984 Trek 610, 1985 Cannondale ST400, 1987 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 10 Posts
Another ISO capable crankset might work. But really, you should probably get a new bottom bracket for whichever crankset you purchase as there's a good chance the spindle length required for the new crankset won't be the same as your old one, giving you poor chainline. Whenver I get a new crankset, I always get a new bottom bracket to match. Most BB's are cheap enough that it's just not worth taking a gamble on whether or not your new crankset will fit it.
Old 06-14-16, 02:20 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Save yourself the headache and buy a crankset and the proper length bottom bracket. Trying to guess what the new chain line will be more than likely, will require a few bottom brackets to test fit any way. Keep in mind that with a 110 bdc crank the smallest ring you can run is 34th. You may also want to look for a chainring that has special teeth to help prevent dropping the chain if you thinking of riding the bike over rough terrain.
Old 06-14-16, 03:43 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aluminummonster
Another ISO capable crankset might work. But really, you should probably get a new bottom bracket for whichever crankset you purchase as there's a good chance the spindle length required for the new crankset won't be the same as your old one, giving you poor chainline. Whenver I get a new crankset, I always get a new bottom bracket to match. Most BB's are cheap enough that it's just not worth taking a gamble on whether or not your new crankset will fit it.
Thanks. That's consensus at mechanics too (assuming I go the route of getting a new crankset).

Originally Posted by fender1
a chainring that has special teeth to help prevent dropping the chain if you thinking of riding the bike over rough terrain.
That would be the reason to do any of this. The suggestion I'm getting is that I might not even need to change it if I'm not going to be bouncing around much. I guess the question in that case is "what counts as rough terrain?"
Old 06-14-16, 05:14 PM
echo victor 
bicyclatte!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I'd think of rough terrain being anything that's going to bounce you around a lot. So a dirt path might not be rough if it's reasonably smooth, but if there are a bunch of roots or similar, it'd be rough. And I've certainly ridden paved roads around here that I'd classify as "rough" because the potholes are bad enough to really hit hard if you go right over them.

Not sure, but if your RD cage spring is strong enough to keep the chain under good tension, you may not need to worry too much.