Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Selecting the REAR end for a home built longtail xtracycle..?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 02:43 PM
rdlange

Bikes: '76 Peugeot Mixte UE-18, Bridgestone 'Submariner' picklefork mixte, Bridgestone KABUKI picklefork mixte, TREK MT220

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts

I used an older NEXT suspension rear end for my first longtail because I had these two trashed bikes. Looking at newer NEXT suspension bikes, I've noticed that the construction has gotten way flimsier.

So I'll be re-reading the 'sticky' again, but the thread talks and pictures mostly about the front frame, not the rear.

I'm wondering about: if one [my neighbor/friend] was planning to do another or a first one. What's brand/model/type of old suspension bike should one be trying to 'find' to salvage for the REAR add-on extension? Best construction, configuration, features?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-13, 10:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Xtracycle kits are expecting your bike to be a HARDTAIL , not a softtail..

You going to weld up your own or what?

You got design drawings? can we see?

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-12-13 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-12-13, 08:54 AM
rdlange

Bikes: '76 Peugeot Mixte UE-18, Bridgestone 'Submariner' picklefork mixte, Bridgestone KABUKI picklefork mixte, TREK MT220

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
No, we're going to strip the rear suspension frame off another bike and fit it to the rear dropouts of a hardtail bicycle as shown in the homebuilt extracycle sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum. If you go thru the sticky you'll see that most pictures emphasize the base bike and neglect to discuss the suspension frame used for the extension. If it's so important to have a 'good' front, it should be equally important to have a 'good rear.

And we do not feel like paying big $$$ for the Xtracycle kit, even if it is good, with thousands of throw away or cheap used bikes available to salvage. We are tired of wastefulness.

EDIT... It is noted that to bring anything including cargo/utility bicycling into the mainstream it must be shown to be affordable and appealing to the 'majority'. In the mainstream cycling community, those of us who actually want to USE our bikes for utility purposes seem to be considered odd. It is further noted that:

1. Cycling is respectable and sometimes essential in many places, mostly outside this country.
2. The US lags well behind the rest of the world in bicycle utilization and reuse technology. So...
3. Research where/how the "Xtracycle" was developed and why.
4. Extrapolate the same application to similar situations evolving in this country.
5. See the viability of salvaging and repurposing discarded bicycles here.

I'm just doing my part to bring us up to speed.

Last edited by rdlange; 09-12-13 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-12-13, 08:58 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I used the tail end of a CCM FS on my Extrabike and it has held up really well despite being pretty middle of the road... it is steel so it is also something I can work with should the need arise.
Old 09-13-13, 02:04 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Xtracycle kits are expecting your bike to be a HARDTAIL , not a softtail..

You going to weld up your own or what?

You got design drawings? can we see?
Fiets: There is lots and lots of posts on this, and the OP did read most of them. You need to do that to if you want to be of any help..
Old 09-13-13, 02:19 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To the OP. I am one of those who made several bikes like this and I started 10+ yrs ago. I am not sure what you mean by flimsy, plse explain. I found that lots of cheap full suspension bikes is available. They can be really flimsy while still presented as a bike becouse of poor quality joints and poor maintenance. BUT once you pick them to pieces to use the rear triangle for an extension I find the rear triangle to be really solid (and sometimes heavy).

The one I am using now is Alu from a better quality Merida, but that makes it more difficult to do welding if you want that. Also I am not sure it is lighter than steel- my main reason for using it.

Do welding if you can and do not overdo it. Weight adds on fast. Bolts and nuts is a good way for almost anybody to be able to make one but it is heavyer than welding.

I suggest that unless you are more than avreage skilled you may find that the second (or third) bike you build is better than the first one. Maybe use bolts and nuts to play around and then have somebody weld on the second one when you know what you want. Not a lot of work needed.

Also remember to look for tubes that are allready bent for wideloaders and similar. Camping beds, camping chairs and so on. Can be cut and joined again with a piece of tube fitted snugly innside, epoxied and with a rivet to keep it in place.

Keep us updated.
Old 09-13-13, 09:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Me? I got no room in my house for long tails.. but I can hang my bike trailer on the wall ..