Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How often do you wear a helmet?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How often do you wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 09:40 PM
crhilton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear it 99.9% of the time. It's only noticeably inconvenient for a while, then it just becomes habitual. Every now and then I forget to put it on, but it's rare.
Old 11-29-10, 09:44 PM
oban_kobi

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by closetbiker
It's only odd if you think a helmet can save a life, and since cyclists almost always die because of collisions with motor vehicles (as you mention), it isn't odd at all.

Helmets are tested by dropping them about 2 meters directly on top of the helmet. Helmets don't prevent deaths to cyclists that occur from forces that exceed that, or are different than that, which is almost always the case in a death to a cyclist.

Throw in the drop in cyclists riding because of the law and risk compensation and it's not surprising at all. In fact, it could be expected.
I think we're talking about different bits. I found that the accidents increased along with helmet use was odd. Not... whatever that post was about.
Old 11-29-10, 10:00 PM
vincev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every time I ride my bike I wear the helmet.Potholes,gravel,dogs,blowouts,etc happen more often than you realize.I have a cracked helmet souvenier that could have been my skull.
Old 11-30-10, 09:19 AM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oban_kobi
I think we're talking about different bits. I found that the accidents increased along with helmet use was odd. Not... whatever that post was about.
maybe what you're responding to is different than what you're thinking about.

There was no talk of increased accidents. The issue was if it could be determined that helmets save lives.
Old 11-30-10, 10:53 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Always .. two crashes in two weeks resulting in two cracked helmets. It's just not worth the risk.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-30-10, 11:57 AM
oban_kobi

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by closetbiker
maybe what you're responding to is different than what you're thinking about.

There was no talk of increased accidents. The issue was if it could be determined that helmets save lives.
I was replying to this:
"In areas that have mandated helmet use and dramatically increased wearing rates overnight, there has been no decrease in deaths. In fact, in some areas (like my own province) as helmet use dramatically increased, deaths increased to an even greater degree."

The bolded part is ODD, because there is no obvious reason that would link increased helmet use to increased deaths. I'm wondering if it is because the riders have a new found confidence when wearing a helmet, thinking it will save them from thousand kilogram blocks of metal, so they ride with less caution.
Old 11-30-10, 12:02 PM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oban_kobi
...The bolded part is ODD, because there is no obvious reason that would link increased helmet use to increased deaths. I'm wondering if it is because the riders have a new found confidence when wearing a helmet, thinking it will save them from thousand kilogram blocks of metal, so they ride with less caution.
It's not the only place this has happened. It happened in Australia too. Initially, it looked like their helmet law was a success because deaths and injuries to cyclists decreased, but it soon became apparent that what had happened was there were fewer people cycling and those cyclists who remained cycling became injured and suffered fatalities at higher rates.

No one knows exactly why this is so, but we do know that it happens. One theory is risk compensation, another is the safety in numbers research that shows,

“The likelihood that a given person walking or bicycling will be struck by a motorist varies inversely with the amount of walking or bicycling. This pattern is consistent across communities of varying size, from specific intersections to cities and countries, and across time periods.”

Last edited by closetbiker; 11-30-10 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 03:00 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Bikes: Oh, yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was trying to remember the last time I had worn a helmet, and I'm really not sure. I know it must have been at least ten years ago, but the specific instance escapes me. At the time I would wear one if I was riding with a group that required it, or if I was riding with my son, who was required to, being very young. I did fall once while wearing the helmet, but it never made contact with anything. I have hit my head while riding four times, with two emergency room visits (for stitches), but have never lost conciousness as a result of such an incident. None of those head bumps convinced me to wear a foam hat, but they did convince me to pay more attention while riding. So far, that has turned out to be a good idea.
Old 11-30-10, 03:14 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I wear a bike helmet most of the time. Leftover from motorcycle ATGATT attitude. Many people wear helmets for the wrong reasons--thinking it will save their lives in truly disastrous situations featuring serious head injury;I wear a helmet aware of the limitations--may mitigate some damage in less than serious head injury situations.
Old 11-30-10, 03:38 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Val
... but they did convince me to pay more attention while riding. So far, that has turned out to be a good idea.
I'd second that. Although for myself I'd rather keep the helmet on for the times my attention lapses or misses something. I agree with your other point, if I get run over by a bus the bit of foam around my head is unlikely to make a huge difference.
Old 11-30-10, 06:20 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I do find that the most ardent advocates of helmet use are often people who crash a lot. Whether they crash a lot because of their choice of activity or because of incompetence, it's hard for to me see how their experience applies to people who rarely or never crash.
Old 11-30-10, 06:45 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Bikes: Oh, yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it's worth, I used to crash quite a lot. I started out trying to keep track of how many "serious" crashes I had had - "serious" being defined as something that actually impaired my function and took more than two weeks to heal. Around age 17, I realized that I had lost count, and gave it up. In those days, I tended to ride consistently slightly beyond my abilities. I don't do that so much any more, and now I rarely crash. In spite of all this, as mentioned, head injuries have never been a factor in keeping me off the bike or determining my choice of riding gear. It may be that knowing how to fall (lots of experience) is useful in this regard. Gloves are also extremely handy.
Old 11-30-10, 09:03 PM
skye

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vincev
Every time I ride my bike I wear the helmet.Potholes,gravel,dogs,blowouts,etc happen more often than you realize.I have a cracked helmet souvenier that could have been my skull.
Really? Is your skull as soft as styrofoam? Doubtful.

It's nice to pretend that what you're doing is Really Dangerous. But that's not really the case.
Old 11-30-10, 09:40 PM
donquixote17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never :/

I never wear a helmet except when I go on a mountain bike ride, which happens about 2-3 times a year. I usually ride around 90-110 miles a week when the weather is decent. I ride on side roads that are quite safe.

I really should wear a helmet because of that 1 in a 1000 chance that you'll get in a horrible accident. But that's just a really low chance and I have yet to be motivated enough to wear my slightly uncomfortable helmet.

I've done enough biking to be plenty good at handling my bike, so I never have random crashes. And I've ridden on streets long enough to know how to stop at lights and not ride stupid. So the tiny chance of damaging my brain apparently isn't enough to motivate me to wear a helmet even though I have nothing against helmets except for them being very slightly uncomfortable.
Old 11-30-10, 11:04 PM
wsbob

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by donquixote17
I never wear a helmet except when I go on a mountain bike ride, which happens about 2-3 times a year. I usually ride around 90-110 miles a week when the weather is decent. I ride on side roads that are quite safe.

I really should wear a helmet because of that 1 in a 1000 chance that you'll get in a horrible accident. But that's just a really low chance and I have yet to be motivated enough to wear my slightly uncomfortable helmet.

I've done enough biking to be plenty good at handling my bike, so I never have random crashes. And I've ridden on streets long enough to know how to stop at lights and not ride stupid. So the tiny chance of damaging my brain apparently isn't enough to motivate me to wear a helmet even though I have nothing against helmets except for them being very slightly uncomfortable.
An uncomfortable helmet would make anyone not want to wear one. There's a lot of different bike helmets made. Seems like a good chance may exist that at least one of them would fit and be comfortable to you, or could be made to fit you and be comfortable.

Lots of people find bike helmets to be worth wearing for more reasons than "... that 1 in a 1000 chance that you'll get in a horrible accident. ...". Even a mild, non-concussion producing bonk on the head isn't fun. In a crash, a bare head sliding along the tarmac doesn't sound like the best way to keep hair and scalp intact either.

But then, it can happen that people ride hundreds and thousands of miles, over years, and never have a crash where they hit their head. The odds are certainly there. Maybe you're particularly doing the kind of riding where your odds of not crashing while riding a bike are even better than that of general types of riders.
Old 12-01-10, 04:05 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wsbob
But then, it can happen that people ride hundreds and thousands of miles, over years, and never have a crash where they hit their head. The odds are certainly there. Maybe you're particularly doing the kind of riding where your odds of not crashing while riding a bike are even better than that of general types of riders.
There isn't much doubt that a skilled and experienced adult cyclist, riding defensively in non-competitive situations, is very much less likely to have an accident than the statistics suggest. Cycling accidents are concentrated among the young - kids have most accidents - and the incautious. Drink, poor lighting, failing to stop at intersections, getting stuck on the nearside of long vehicles are frequent factors. Avoid these mistakes and your chances are extremely good. Here in the UK there is one cyclist killed for every 2 million miles cycled. Given that I avoid the risks described above, I'd say my chances of getting killed on the bike are less than 1 in 4million per mile cycled. Those odds are good enough for me not to worry about helmets, even without getting into the argument about whether helmets are any good.
Old 12-01-10, 09:41 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Only when I ride outside, never when indoors on the trainer.
Old 12-01-10, 07:50 PM
CritEastwood
aka Jerome

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always when planning on pushing the limits of speed and equipment, rarely otherwise.
Old 12-01-10, 08:35 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear a helmet every time I ride any of my bicycles.
To the side, everytime I drive a car or truck, I use a safety belt.
Just do it. It becomes a no thought, safety choice practice!
Old 12-01-10, 09:01 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When training, anytime I'm riding with someone else, and now most of the time since there is snow on the roads and that can be unpredictable.

Never on rides under 10km and clear roads. Were I back in the city I might re-evaluate that practice.
Old 12-01-10, 10:27 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tomg
I wear a helmet every time I ride any of my bicycles.
To the side, everytime I drive a car or truck, I use a safety belt.
Just do it. It becomes a no thought, safety choice practice!
One third of all motoring fatalities involve head injuries. If you are truly interested in safety, you'll start wearing a helmet in your car. Just do it!
Old 12-01-10, 11:31 PM
RichMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, we no longer have the photo of the crushed head guy?

I was going to say how excited I was to know that helmets now prevent birth defects. That would sure be handy.
Old 12-02-10, 12:15 AM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichMac
Oh, we no longer have the photo of the crushed head guy?

I was going to say how excited I was to know that helmets now prevent birth defects. That would sure be handy.
True enough in that they prevent birth:

Probably not the right forum though.
Old 12-02-10, 01:05 AM
RichMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you high?

Of course Trojans don't prevent birth, they're a common cold ailment.
Old 12-02-10, 01:57 AM
NaBlade
Dammit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always. There's just no joy in my head hitting the pavement (or anything hard that is), no matter how trivial the impact is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.