Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

two-a-day workouts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 11:39 AM
bernside

Bikes: 1982 Trek 710; 2008 Cannondale F6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
two-a-day workouts

I have a lot of weekdays where I can get in ~1 hr in the morning and ~1 hr in the evening (12 hrs apart).

For those of you with a similar schedule do you do the same workout both sessions or mix it up?

I am starting my 3rd year of riding, second year of racing, and working with a training plan for the first time. I am using Friel's Bible and am currently doing 10 hrs /wk in build 1 phase.

The Bible says it is OK to split up the workouts as long as you get one long ride a week (and I do on weekends) but it isnt clear as to whether you should do the same scheduled workout for both sessions on two-a-day days.

For example, I did endurance paced intervals this morning. Should I do another round of the same tonight?

thanks,

B
Old 01-04-11, 11:44 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1

I'm in about the same boat with splitting workouts. I'd love to hear the opinions offered.
Old 01-04-11, 11:45 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
depends.

If workout one trashes me then workout two might be changed to a lower level. Sometimes I would rather treat workout one as a warm-up/base and workout two as the interval session.

I am almost never "by the book". In fact, when they say "think outside the box" my response is "I don't know what the box even looks like".
Old 01-04-11, 01:43 PM
Smallguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm at the same point with bad weather I can't always get my 3-4 hour rides in so I'm looking to split mine up as well on my horrible weather weeks.

I'm really not comfortable riding outdoors with ice on the roads
Old 01-04-11, 01:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have found it's counter productive to do back to back intensity workouts. So I would recommend making the morning workout a recovery ride. Then hit the pm one hard, and sleep well.

[Oh, crap. That's what Grumpy said. Carry on then. ]
Old 01-04-11, 01:56 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
Sometimes I would rather treat workout one as a warm-up/base and workout two as the interval session.
That's what I do the rare times I do two a days. The first workout is done in the fasted state early in the day and the intensity is kept low (oxidative "fat burn"); the second workout is done after a carbohydrate feed and is done at high intensity (glycolitic).
Old 01-04-11, 02:03 PM
hoody

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the whole summer added an extra easy ride every morning for approx 1 hour and did a regular workout in the afternoon It was a great way to increase my ctl and prepared me extemely well for 5 days of riding 140+km each day
Old 01-04-11, 02:06 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
That's what I do the rare times I do two a days. The first workout is done in the fasted state early in the day and the intensity is kept low (oxidative "fat burn"); the second workout is done after a carbohydrate feed and is done at high intensity (glycolitic).
i do alot of 2x/day workouts, probably 2 or 3/week. above is what i'd do if i didnt have constraints (job, family, etc.); however, given that i have constraints, and the a.m. is what i can control more consistently, i typically do my "work" in the a.m. and lower intensity in the p.m. might not be a best practice from an ex phys perspective, but it works for me.

Originally Posted by bernside
I have a lot of weekdays where I can get in ~1 hr in the morning and ~1 hr in the evening (12 hrs apart).

For those of you with a similar schedule do you do the same workout both sessions or mix it up?

I am starting my 3rd year of riding, second year of racing, and working with a training plan for the first time. I am using Friel's Bible and am currently doing 10 hrs /wk in build 1 phase.

The Bible says it is OK to split up the workouts as long as you get one long ride a week (and I do on weekends) but it isnt clear as to whether you should do the same scheduled workout for both sessions on two-a-day days.

For example, I did endurance paced intervals this morning. Should I do another round of the same tonight?

thanks,

B
what are endurance paced intervals? i'm trying to remember my friel terminology, but if you're talking about "cruise" intervals, those are kind of hard and i wouldnt do 2 sessions of those/day, i'd do an easier session.
Old 01-04-11, 02:15 PM
milliron

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I do two 1-1.5 hour rides in a day, the morning one is usually the more intense of the two. Typically it's intervals in the morning and endurance pace in the evening with maybe an effort or two to open up the legs.
Old 01-04-11, 02:33 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting lends itself to 2-a-day workouts. I tend to go easy on the way in as we have no shower at work, then hit it on the way home. If I'm lifting after dinner, then I'll ease up sooner on the way home. I have to climb my way home, though so there's always some work to do.
Old 01-04-11, 02:48 PM
milliron

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm commuting but we have a shower at work. When I say commuting, I'm riding my normal race bike and not carrying a backpack or anything like that. I have cloths at work. So, it's the same as a training ride.
Old 01-04-11, 02:50 PM
bernside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
what are endurance paced intervals? i'm trying to remember my friel terminology, but if you're talking about "cruise" intervals, those are kind of hard and i wouldnt do 2 sessions of those/day, i'd do an easier session.
Cruise intervals is right. I'm away from the book and could not remember what he called them
Old 01-04-11, 02:58 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milliron
Yeah, I'm commuting but we have a shower at work. When I say commuting, I'm riding my normal race bike and not carrying a backpack or anything like that. I have cloths at work. So, it's the same as a training ride.
I will do that later in the year after we get some daylight back. I'll take several days worth of clothes in on one day and live on baby wipes. Right now I'm riding a road bike that's outfitted with fenders, a rack, pack/panniers, and lights. It weighs a friggin' ton and is a workout on any up grade.
Old 01-04-11, 02:59 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bernside
Cruise intervals is right. I'm away from the book and could not remember what he called them
I don't remember cruise intervals but endurance pace is in the 50%-80% of FTP, just below tempo.
Old 01-04-11, 03:14 PM
bernside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have found it's counter productive to do back to back intensity workouts. So I would recommend making the morning workout a recovery ride. Then hit the pm one hard, and sleep well.

[Oh, crap. That's what Grumpy said. Carry on then. ]
This appeals to me because I prefer to ride hard in the afternoon as opposed to at 5am.(I don't even like being conscious at 5am)

But by doing recovery for 1 of the 2 hrs on what should be a moderate/high intensity day, does that mean I should try to add a high intensity session on a recovery day to get that hour back?

Or would that not allow adequate recovery time?
Old 01-04-11, 03:22 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Grumpy is trying to tell you is, don't overthink this. Do the work, take your tests, and see if it's helping. If not, change something.