Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

End of Classic and Vintage as we know it.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

End of Classic and Vintage as we know it.

Old 03-08-11, 11:01 PM
tugrul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Personally, it bugs me that bikes from the mid '80s to '00s get discussed at all as "C & V," but that's just me.
Hmm, what then? Classic, Vintage & Used?
Old 03-08-11, 11:12 PM
vincev

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heres showing my age.I started collecting bikes in 1970.This was the time when 10 speeds were really invading he U.S. The collectors of that era had the same concerns about the end of balloon tires,krates,etc.Many thought it was the end of bike collecting.The hobby evolved and those who saved the old style bikes saw the prices rise and started collecting the "new" quality 10 speeds of that era.What was quality back then is now considered a classic now.Hang in there and evolve with the hobby.
Old 03-08-11, 11:12 PM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ciocc_cat
When that happens I suppose we'll all be waxing poetic about McDonald's French Fies, too!
Nah. Put it this way: You bought your Ciocc nearly twenty-five years ago. Doesn't it seem likely that in the future, there will be someone who bought a CAAD9 twenty-five years ago, when they were the age that you were when you bought your Ciocc? This person might think that, man, stuff built 2000-2015 is really where it's at. He or she may even look to talk to others on the hypernet about bikes of that classic era...

I'm not saying that people who enjoy C&V bikes today are going to change their idea of what "C&V" means and pick up some swoopy monocoque Di2 monstrosity, but that to future generations, swoopy monocoque Di2 monstrosities will be classic and vintage.
Old 03-08-11, 11:15 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vincev
Heres showing my age.I started collecting bikes in 1970.This was the time when 10 speeds were really invading he U.S. The collectors of that era had the same concerns about the end of balloon tires,krates,etc.Many thought it was the end of bike collecting.The hobby evolved and those who saved the old style bikes saw the prices rise and started collecting the "new" quality 10 speeds of that era.What was quality back then is now considered a classic now.Hang in there and evolve with the hobby.
But this is the thing though. Who is going to risk their life riding a 30 year old carbon fiber framed bike? There maybe collectors, but it will be posted to a wall instead of riding. This is what I'm trying to say. C&V folks collect AND ride their steel/aluminum bikes, but I don't think they will do this with vintage carbon and since the majority of highend bikes now are made of carbon, I don't think there will be as big of C&V crowd as there is now.
Old 03-08-11, 11:30 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I ride and race my 21 year old full carbon bike.
I think anything handmade will still be collectible. Current production CF Time bikes will be sought after until they no longer function. You just can't replace a broken stay or post binder.
Old 03-08-11, 11:47 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 531phile
But this is the thing though. Who is going to risk their life riding a 30 year old carbon fiber framed bike? There maybe collectors, but it will be posted to a wall instead of riding. This is what I'm trying to say. C&V folks collect AND ride their steel/aluminum bikes, but I don't think they will do this with vintage carbon and since the majority of highend bikes now are made of carbon, I don't think there will be as big of C&V crowd as there is now.
I think you might have a slight misunderstanding of carbon. It's a material with a pretty high tolerance for the types of stress induced by normal bicycling. It's throwing it into a car or against a pole that causes it to fail. The frames are built with a certain amount of deflection designed into the bike. That is, deflections under normal riding conditions. These deflections occur in the elastic region and do not "wear out" the frame.

I think a part of this idea that carbon "wears out" is the comparative differences between a 10 year old carbon bike and a brand new one. The 10 year old bike isn't any different from when it was built 10 years ago. Newer carbon frames are just that much better.

All that to say that there is no reason the carbon bike currently hanging on my wall won't last until a major collision or fall induces an abnormal stress to the frame and breaks it.

EDIT: Not to mention, a lot of the carbon failures in racing happen because of a part that is built pretty much on the edge of these aforementioned stresses. Add that to being ridden by guys who could tear phone books in half if you threw it into their chains, and you have a recipe for destroying carbon parts. I'm sure this is no different from failures of other lightweight metal parts built for racing. Hincapie's busted aluminum steerer on the Paris Roubaix race comes to mind.

Last edited by WalksOn2Wheels; 03-08-11 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-08-11, 11:55 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
And in other news, the sky is not falling.
Old 03-08-11, 11:56 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

Uhmmm.. about 26 years old already........and it still rides real nice, so nice that I ride it more than my steel bike these days......and I'm not planning on pinning it up on my wall in 4 years either.....

Chombi
Old 03-09-11, 05:14 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Sure there's a bunch of custom steel bikes and other production steel bikes out there, but these numbers are nothing compared to what they were back in the day when all the frames were made of steel .... I think Classic & Vintage folks will be stuck ogling bikes from the '50-'00
It is sort of a natural process, and there are parallel worlds. WW II fighter planes were ubiquitous for years after the war. Vast yards were full of them being bulldozed and torn apart for scrap — the equivalent of the dumpsters and the land fills heaving with CV bicycles. Some of these fighters continued careers in third world air arms. As time went on, survivors were picked up for collections anywhere they were found sitting — rotting. Nowadays they are being pulled out of the sea, picked off glaciers and dug out of swamps. Mega-heroic efforts are made to reconstruct these relics in ways that would have been unthinkable decades ago.

At the same time, jet fighter aircraft are largely being overlooked for a number of reasons. Not many are being flown in displays, and I’m thinking that an F-86 Saber is not going to receive the same riveting attention as a Merlin powered Spitfire. The very sound of that engine sends hearts racing.

Steel bicycles will become much more a niche interest. Diminishing stocks and parts will be commensurate with protracted restorations that will include replacing tubes. Exact replica frames and components will appear in the same way as classic motorcycles and even aircraft. Collectors will have smaller collections. Collections will attain an intrinsic value that will function as hedges against inflation. Vintage steel buffs and investors will be few. But, as you suggest, the CF niche may be even thinner. Thinner in the same way as there are fewer owners of F-86’s, Mig 17’s and F-104 Starfighters than P-51 Mustangs and Corsairs (that are still in competition racing).

Anyone who doubts what can be done to produce exact replicas of machinery can do a bit of research. Somewhere on YouTube there is a starting party attended by a large number of Vincent fanatics and their families. These are talented and skilled people. A group of them helped one their group to construct an exact replica of a Black Shadow* — 90% original parts. Even the carburetors were built from scratch. There may every reason to believe that if you are young enough you will see a new 2050 1965 Cellini in new, exact, replica Record gruppo. The end of classic and vintage as we know it. I’ll have a late 30’s Bates road racer, please.

* I saw this machine in Vancouver about a year ago — a stunning accomplishment.

Last edited by Lenton58; 03-09-11 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 05:23 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I do think that older, more original are more "pure" in a C&V sense but that does not compel me to disregard or disrespect what others desire or possess. After a poster accused me of being a "purist" I became more aware of my comments.

my 1982 Grandis and '85 Fuji Team are in my collection. My 1994 FTW aluminum framed bikes are not. I guess for me the line is between those two dates. Going back a certain number of years (say 25 for me?) would work well with the N+1 equation.
Old 03-09-11, 06:11 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
When that happens I suppose we'll all be waxing poetic about McDonald's French Fies, too!
No, but your arteries will...

If a person was never exposed to older bikes that much, it's hard to appreciate them. My "appreciation" for certain bikes began when I saw the TdF and the Ironman on TV. Before that, my only exposure was to the local hardware store bikes, the Schwinns of the wealthier kids in town, and the myriad of Sting Ray clones that existed growing up.

Never saw a derailleur until I went into a Sears store when I was 15 or 16. ("wow, that's pretty cool...")

Never rode a 10-sp until a Free Spirit when I was 17. (found out just how fast bikes can go)

First tri was on a $10 Schwinn Varsity. (wearing a Jantzen swim suit, you had to be there)

Walked into my first bike shop around 1986, sticker shock, walked back out.
First bike shop bike, 1987, same shop (from BF member GMS and Mrs. Smith).
Any appreciation I have for C&V is from the people I met around that time, and this forum.
The internet has really helped me to see the coolness of older bikes that I never knew existed.

The "diversity" of C&V is part of it's staying power. Mid 80-'s and newer is just my little chunk.
I doubt that will change much in the future, each generation to their niche.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-09-11 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 06:20 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
On an email discussion list that I belong to, the "Classic Era" ended in 1983 for various reasons - the death of Tullio Campagnolo being one. My pre-1983 "Twilight Era" Ciocc San Cristobal just barely gets me into the club.
Just to be clear, ownership of an on-topic bike is not a condition of participation in the CR list.

Bugs me when people seem to think that anything with Campagnolo on it is C&V.
Old 03-09-11, 06:29 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

ill

I think the jury is out about carbon bike longevity and durability. Will they REALLY stand up, or will long-term exposure to UV and atmospheric contaminants kill them dead? It's really hard even for the engineers to know for sure.

And if only a few protected "wall queens" survive, those will be collectibles to the riders who could not afford them when the bikes were new and the riders were kids.
Old 03-09-11, 06:41 AM
slushlover2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your 531 tubed bike is more likely to rust through and be unsafe than my Colnago C50 is to "turn to dust". In reality I have seen more unsafe steel bikes than any other material. I love my vintage bikes, but quit bemoaning modern materials that you are not familiar with.
To answer your original question, I think all of my bikes.Colnago, Litespeed, Softride, will be collectible.
Old 03-09-11, 06:43 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I risk my life on a 24-year old carbon fiber framed bike all the time. There are few of us out there doing so, not because of the risk, but because there were relatively few sold, which means there are relatively few still out there.

There was an earlier thread here on C&V carbon, and the response was very substantial.

My main riding partner started out as a road novice on a 2010 model, 853-framed Mercier. It was too small, and one thing let do another. He now rides an NOS 1993 CF bike, just picked up a 1993 Trek 520, and his rain bike is a late 90's Jamis. His 2010 now resides with a guy who started on mid 80's steel, still has them, but loves the new ones, too. Perfect examples of how interest in C&V can go both ways, so to speak.

As far as your second point, you're correct on today's market, but the characteristics of many C&V bikes are drawing interest from the owners of new carbon bikes. I have sold several mid-80's bikes to people with $4000-$6000 carbon bikes, and they all say they ride the C&V more, perhaps because they're expendable, but somehow, the bikes seem to hang in there, eh?.

You're also correct from a pure supply-side position, and that is a point well made. When X numbers of steel lugged bikes are produced, X-Y tend to remain after, say, 20 years. When X goes down, so does X-Y.

Will there remain a burgeoning interest in mid-90's and newer alumabikes? I simply don't know. There certainly was a ton of them made, and if their riders shared the same experiences that I did with the bikes I like, I'd imagine so.

There are already fans of the "older" CF Trek OCLV's and Kestrel's, so we'll see how that evolves. They don't appear to have aged as well as many of their steel predecessors, though, perhaps because their owners rode the living daylights out of them.

The C&V crowd may shrink a bit as many of us age and stop riding, etc, but the bikes will likely remain, have new owners, and have newer, younger fans. I definitely don't plan on taking any of mine with me....so someone will have them, ride them, appreciate them, call them C&V, and fall over once in a while, just like I do.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-09-11 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 06:48 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Bugs me when people seem to think that anything with Campagnolo on it is C&V.
or better, for that matter.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-09-11 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 06:54 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenton58
At the same time, jet fighter aircraft are largely being overlooked for a number of reasons. Not many are being flown in displays, and I’m thinking that an F-86 Saber is not going to receive the same riveting attention as a Merlin powered Spitfire. The very sound of that engine sends hearts racing.
I would argue that the high cost of ownership of turbine as opposed to piston has a lot to do with that....not the perceived "non-C&V factor" of the early jets.

I'd also argue that in the realm of jet fighter aircraft it would be hard to find anything MORE C&V than an F-86.
Old 03-09-11, 06:57 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by buldogge
Did you get the newest find from the STL yet???
Arrives today according to FedEx!
Old 03-09-11, 07:16 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Lenton58
It is sort of a natural process, and there are parallel worlds. WW II fighter planes were ubiquitous for years after the war. Vast yards were full of them being bulldozed and torn apart for scrap — the equivalent of the dumpsters and the land fills heaving with CV bicycles. Some of these fighters continued careers in third world air arms. As time went on, survivors were picked up for collections anywhere they were found sitting — rotting. Nowadays they are being pulled out of the sea, picked off glaciers and dug out of swamps. Mega-heroic efforts are made to reconstruct these relics in ways that would have been unthinkable decades ago.

Steel bicycles will become much more a niche interest. Diminishing stocks and parts will be commensurate with protracted restorations that will include replacing tubes. Exact replica frames and components will appear in the same way as classic motorcycles and even aircraft. Collectors will have smaller collections. Collections will stain an intrinsic value that will function as hedges against inflation. Vintage steel buffs and investors will be few. But, as you suggest, the CF niche may be even thinner. Thinner in the same way as there are fewer owners of F-86’s, Mig 17’s and F-104 Starfighters than P-51 Mustangs and Corsairs (that are still in competition racing).

Anyone who doubts what can be done to produce exact replicas of machinery can do a bit of research. Somewhere on YouTube there is a starting party attended by a large number of Vincent fanatics and their families. These are talented and skilled people. A group of them helped one their group to construct an exact replica of a Black Shadow* — 90% original parts. Even the carburetors were built from scratch. There may every reason to believe that if you are young enough you will see a new 2050 1965 Cellini in new, exact, replica Record gruppo. The end of classic and vintage as we know it. I’ll have a late 30’s Bates road racer, please.

* I saw this machine in Vancouver about a year ago — a stunning accomplishment.
Saw a great vid about retrieving a B-29 from a frozen Arctic location - heroic, but tragic ultimately.

Utility is an important question. Seems to me a P-51 or even a Corsair are much more usable airplanes than a air-breathing rocket with wings, such as an F-104. Back when I built model airplanes, the writeups on those were that they flew like bricks until they reached the speed where the stubby wings worked well, and then they became high-speed arrows - not the best air-air combat craft due to a lack of maneuverability. If a hobbyist needs a jet warplane, there are probably better choices for a less-specialized pilot.

Kinda like bullding up a stayer or motor-paced speed bike as a messenger work bike. Whereas a '50's thru contemporary steel performance bike is still not too far from being a decent multipurpose bike.
Old 03-09-11, 07:19 AM
Road Fan

Back in the '70s I hung out with the Chicago branch of the Vincent Owners' Club, which members usually rode Ducatis so they could have a "reliable" bike!! I'd love to see info or pics about that Black Shadow - I got to ride one once, but I couldn't afford my own.
Old 03-09-11, 07:24 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
People cling to the ideals and trappings of their youth, so I think these modern monstrosities will eventually find their way into C&V, and the bikes we lusted after will become more curiosities than desiderata.

- Was that more than 140 characters?
Old 03-09-11, 07:27 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
I for one would be the complete "purist" if only I could afford it. CV anything bike in Japan is expensive. My income combined with shipping and the lack of a local network for trading and so on make for rather expensive projects.

Some of you may have seen the Simplon I just completed. The frame may be nearly 35 years old. And some of the parts are definitely vintage. Other parts are what I call "retro" that sort of fit with the bike. But the wheel set for example just screams 'm-o-d-e-r-n' . Not what I wanted, but it allowed me to get the machine on the road without waifu-san strangling me in my sleep.

My '85 Trek 560 is more on-topic. There are some retro parts, but also NOS vintage and used vintage parts, as well as the original finish and decals. My Vitus 979 is the most pure of my roadies. All the parts, both NOS and used, go back decades. But, as a whole, it may just fall short of 25 years. I don't know exactly when the frame was made. In addition, some people may not include early aluminum bikes in the idea of pure CV.

My salient point is that despite my less than pure, on-topic bikes, I am grateful for the forum and the companionship it provides in a shared passion. I don't think that there is another forum on BF where I belong more. And all you men and women who build and or restore these purebred classics get a lot of admiration and respect from me. Coming here gives me a chance to see bikes that I would very much like to own and ride. No "wall queens" in my tiny bike shed.
Old 03-09-11, 07:27 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Old 03-09-11, 07:34 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Everything becomes collectible. Sooner or later. Nothing wrong with carbon bikes, but I like the old steel lightweights. Just personal preference, of course.
I'd take the P-51 anytime, but wouldn't turn up my nose at an F-86 or MiG 15.
Old 03-09-11, 07:46 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts

Oy! My garage is full enough!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.