Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I Ride Alone. Yeaaah, All By Myself

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I Ride Alone. Yeaaah, All By Myself

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 05:05 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Anytime. Nothing but flat and wind so no coasting for hours. Formerly a Paramus boy but happy to be here for the year round comfortable riding.
Very familiar with Florida, went to High School in Davie.
Old 09-01-14, 05:16 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Mvcrash
Very familiar with Florida, went to High School in Davie.
Did a ride in that area a couple months ago and found all the traffic lights really slowed things down. I have a 60 mile training loop that only has one light I hit out and back. My kind of riding starting at 2:00AM.
Old 09-01-14, 06:48 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I ride alone because I really like the company! It is very challenging trying to keep up with me. My paceline never falters or has crashes, and the hand signals I give to my company are always understoof and followed. And, I am the one pulling 100% of the time, unlike those in a multi-person paceline who have to go to the back and take a bit of a rest.

If I complete a Century, I know I did it all by myself, not with the help of 10 others.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-01-14 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-01-14, 09:15 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by rollingtourer
, or very fast and long (for wanna be racing types). I've been tempted to go on the long and fast group ride, but I don't think I'd enjoy the pretentious atmosphere.
If you've never ridden with others, how do you know there will be a pretentious atmosphere? People who enjoy long, fast rides are "wanna be racing types"?

Give it a try, you might make some life long friends. Use your head, stay away from idiots and ride your ride.

I ride at least 100 group rides per year and I have met some pretty great people on bikes, both slowpokes and racers, up to top pros.
Old 09-01-14, 10:50 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
When I started riding I would go solo most times. Then I joined some groups and usually ride wit them, or with 1 or 2 partners. But last Sunday my friend overslept and I went solo. Enjoyed the ride, originally planned to ride for 3-4 hrs, ended up with 7.5 hrs and 163km, changed/added routes and places at will, on lonely country dirt roads.
Old 09-01-14, 04:00 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My preference is riding solo. I enjoy leaving early in the morning being on the road by day light, setting my own pace and going where i want to go. Some rides are fast tempo rides, other rides are hammering and then some are just easy slow style recovery rides. The biggest benefit that I find riding solitary is the peacefulness and serenity and sorting things out in my mind. There are days I do club rides and we hammer and other times with a few other riders time to chit-chat. I have mixed it up for well over 30 years of riding and by far I still enjoy the peacefulness of ridng solo
Old 09-02-14, 04:44 AM
Mvcrash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a ride in that area a couple months ago and found all the traffic lights really slowed things down. I have a 60 mile training loop that only has one light I hit out and back. My kind of riding starting at 2:00AM.
2AM, I don't enjoy riding in the dark at all but I'd be willing to try.
Old 09-02-14, 08:05 AM
rollingtourer

Bikes: Late 80's Miyata 512, 2014 Giant Escape 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
If you've never ridden with others, how do you know there will be a pretentious atmosphere? People who enjoy long, fast rides are "wanna be racing types"?

Give it a try, you might make some life long friends. Use your head, stay away from idiots and ride your ride.

I ride at least 100 group rides per year and I have met some pretty great people on bikes, both slowpokes and racers, up to top pros.
I suppose it is a fallacy on my part; I'm operating off of the assumption that the atmosphere may be pretentious since the atmosphere at the shop puts off a bit of that vibe. Nice enough, just a bit condescending at times.. Perhaps I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Old 09-02-14, 02:04 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Mvcrash
2AM, I don't enjoy riding in the dark at all but I'd be willing to try.
Full moon(+/-) mornings with light(s) it's almost like daytime. With the riding being flat and lots of long straights I feel it is ideal early morning riding. Great when you can see a car approaching either direction 1+ miles away.
Old 09-02-14, 02:28 PM
edgamar

Bikes: 2010 Fuji SL 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I was the only one, uff that's a relief...

Originally Posted by ktaoabc
I experience this on a weekly basis
Old 09-03-14, 09:08 AM
Mvcrash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full moon(+/-) mornings with light(s) it's almost like daytime. With the riding being flat and lots of long straights I feel it is ideal early morning riding. Great when you can see a car approaching either direction 1+ miles away.
I am willing to try. Actually sounds like it may be a pleasant experience.
Old 09-03-14, 08:56 PM
Ranger Dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost always ride alone. I live in a rural area and haven't encountered another adult on a bike while I was out riding in over a year. It would be a 20+ mile drive into town to meet up with someone else, and, as my wife recently told me, "you don't have any friends anyway."