Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Renewed!!

Old 12-05-14, 07:13 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Renewed!!

Unlike some (many) of you, I am pretty much a utilitarian when it comes to things like bicycles. If it works OK, I leave it alone. I don't do any mechanical work, and besides lubricating and wiping my chain, keeping the tires at my preferred pressure for the bike I am using that day, making sure the tires are safe and the brakes are working, and carrying proper tire changing tools and tubes, I pretty much leave the bike alone, except for a much-needed Selle saddle and a change in stem to fit my changing 75yo body.

I discovered that a local long-term (30 years) LBS had what they called a "Major Tune Up" for $150.00 which included recabling brakes and shifters, taking the drive chain off with an excellent cleaning, inspection and adjustment, wrapping the bars with my preferred color, and other things one does during a tune up which included a pre-inspection of the chain, cassette, chain rings, and wheels. So, I took my 1999 Lemond BA in for a tune up. Upon inspection of the wheel it was discovered that there were cracks in the wheel near the spoke holes, so I got a new wheel.

Total:

$150 tune up on special for $105 during the winter season.
Ex military discount of 10% on parts (wheel and brake pads)
New wheel

Total - $208.

It looks beautiful.

Due to some extreme family emergencies, I have not had time for a real ride, but got out for a few miles today. It shifts, brakes and rides like a new 1999 Lemond BA, which is a wonderful ride. So, another 40,000 miles on this bike will make me quite happy and last me into my 80's.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-05-14 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-05-14, 07:45 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well done. Several years ago I had my Hard Rock overhauled for about $300. Some of the best value I've gotten for the money.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-05-14, 08:00 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Agree - there's nothing like a real overhaul once in awhile - took my 7 year-old bike in to MEC (our equivalent of REI) and it ended up needing a new rear wheel, cassette, chain, cables & housings, etc. Spent about 400 bucks but like you say, I'd forgotten what a sweet ride this bike is when it's all tuned up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5576.jpg (94.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-05-14, 09:18 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
New life! Well worth the dollars spent.
Old 12-06-14, 09:03 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Or---------------if you have the mechanical skills and tools as I do, do your own major overhaul. I do this every winter. The advantage of doing it yourself is you have the time to go over every single nut, bolt, and part on the bike. My winter full cleaning and overhaul takes place over several days. Not to say a good LBS mechanic wont do a good job, but to make a profit for the shop, he has limited time. OTOH I have the time to examine every single part and poke and prod untill I feel everything is perfect.

With my winter overhaul I have never had a summer riding season break down.
Old 12-06-14, 09:05 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by rydabent
Or---------------if you have the mechanical skills and tools as I do, do your own major overhaul. I do this every winter. The advantage of doing it yourself is you have the time to go over every single nut, bolt, and part on the bike. My winter full cleaning and overhaul takes place over several days. Not to say a good LBS mechanic wont do a good job, but to make a profit for the shop, he has limited time. OTOH I have the time to examine every single part and poke and prod untill I feel everything is perfect.

My hats off to you that you have the aptitude, skills, and time for this project.
Old 12-06-14, 02:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Although I can build wheels amongst various bike "stuff", I generally just replace & lube the wheel bearings and lube the cables.

That's a relatively low "skill" requirement about equal to patching/changing a tube/tire.
Only a few tools required that will pay for themselves relatively short term.
Old 12-06-14, 05:18 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I wish we as people could reap the same benefit from a tune-up.
Old 12-06-14, 05:32 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent

This is my philosophy, as well. Plus if you do have an “issue” on the road, more than likely you’ll know how to quickly resolve it.
Old 12-06-14, 06:12 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Although I can build wheels amongst various bike "stuff", I generally just replace & lube the wheel bearings and lube the cables.

That's a relatively low "skill" requirement about equal to patching/changing a tube/tire.
Only a few tools required that will pay for themselves relatively short term.
Originally Posted by takenreasy
This is my philosophy, as well. Plus if you do have an “issue” on the road, more than likely you’ll know how to quickly resolve it.
Again - My hats off to you that you have the aptitude, skills, and time for your project.s
Old 12-06-14, 06:27 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Good for you Dnvr and glad to see you back.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-06-14, 06:29 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Hope the family emergencies are working themselves out, Denver. Glad you got your steed back and are pleased with the results.
Old 12-06-14, 06:43 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations Denver, and many happy returns to both you & your LeMond!
Old 12-06-14, 06:51 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by NOS88
Hope the family emergencies are working themselves out, Denver. Glad you got your steed back and are pleased with the results.
My son Andy almost died with a blood sodium level of 173 - highest the nephrologist has ever seen - (acute renal failure)caused by dehydration in his Host Home - we lived in the ICU for 6 days with him. Searching frantically for a long-term solution, negligence all around. He lost all muscle tone and is now recovering slowly. But then, perhaps I should have been greasing my bicycle hubs instead of the ICU bit?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-06-14 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-06-14, 06:57 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I had no idea that Andy was so sick, of late, Denver. I will put all of you on my prayer list. Glad that the tune up made your bicycle more enjoyable, no matter who the work was done by. If it lets you ride and is how you want things done, that is great that you are riding and working out. ICU, man I shudder thinking about sitting outside of them, or being in one. Both ways it is never soemthing you want to face. You, Nora and the young men are in my prayers.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-06-14, 10:24 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These comments about who does what on a bike bring to mind one of my Life Mottoes:

Whatever you do;
Do it for Fun,
Do it for Survival;
Or, Don't Do it at all.

Whenever I'm miserable I pause and realize I'm breaking my rules. The off I go...............
Old 12-07-14, 04:14 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

I got my "new" bike out for 1.5 hours today. There is a slight up incline leading for many miles , and I zoomed up - thinking - did they put a motor in the drive train? It wasn't until I turned around into the headwind that I realized I had a good tailwiind all the way up.

All told, it was smooth, much improved, and I really enjoyed the ride. I had to get back, but told my wife I could ride all day, which I could have.
Old 12-10-14, 11:21 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
More tailwinds for the rest of the year and into 2015 Denver!
Sending you some of our excess sunshine (only mid-70s today).
Do majority of my own bike stuff; sealed bearings sure make life a lot easier than back in the 'old days!'
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem